Converting Fluorescent to LED with addition of Night Light Motion Detection

Mike Wahl

I replaced my cold fluorescent 12v ceiling fixtures with these I got from Amazon. 5 brightness levels and 3 color temperatures. It remembers the brightness and temperature when you turn them off and on. Nice and thin too. 
 Miady RV LED Interior Light 1500 Lumen 16.5" x 6.3", RV Ceiling Lights with 5 Levels of Dimming and 3 Color Temperature 3500-6500K Sw... 

Here is the link to them:

https://a.co/d/gq0WgyO

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4148.jpeg

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

@Chuckster59 Does it switch on / off with the wall switch or do you have to turn on the wall switch then turn on the fixture?

- bob

Hi Bob,

I believe that you would have to push the power button on this LED fixture to turn it on. I doubt that you would be able to hard-wire the wall switch and bypass the power button due to the fact that they use the same power on/off button as the color/temperature of the lighting too (dual role). A long press turns the LED fixture off and a short press toggles it through the color/temperature selection. Too bad that they didn't have a separate power button and color/temperature button on the fixture. Maybe then that switch could be removed from the circuit and a wall switch be used.

As shipped, the answer is "no". That said, I do like this fixture. I also built some of my own LED light fixtures using warm LED "puck" lights.. Have a look here https://safarifriends.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40304&p=226670&hilit=puck#p226670

Edited by Chuckster59
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the fluorescent light ballasts give up EMF or electrical interference when the light is disconnected from electricity?

My thought is to cut the electrical wires above the fluorescent fixture and splice direct to LED strip lights. Thus leaving the fluorescent fixture in place. 

27 minutes ago, Chuckster59 said:

I do like this fixture. I also built some of my own LED light fixtures using warm LED "puck" lights.. Have a look here https://safarifriends.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40304&p=226670&hilit=puck#p226670

Looks pretty good.  Here's another dimmable puck light with a remote control - https://www.amazon.com/Recessed-Waterproof-Ultra-Thin-Interior-Motorhome/dp/B07B8B2XJ7/ and you have control over light color.

The fun starts when your neighbor has the same puck light.  That and losing the remote.

- bob

9 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

Looks pretty good.  Here's another dimmable puck light with a remote control - https://www.amazon.com/Recessed-Waterproof-Ultra-Thin-Interior-Motorhome/dp/B07B8B2XJ7/ and you have control over light color.

The fun starts when your neighbor has the same puck light.  That and losing the remote.

- bob

LOL. Yeah. I just used a recessed power button on mine. Don't need a dim function or another remote to lose. The LED is warm but not yellow (as you can see) and isn't bright enough to be too harsh....works for us.

1 hour ago, Pduggs said:

Does anyone know if the fluorescent light ballasts give up EMF or electrical interference when the light is disconnected from electricity?

My thought is to cut the electrical wires above the fluorescent fixture and splice direct to LED strip lights. Thus leaving the fluorescent fixture in place. 

@Pduggs

First….turn OFF the switch to a particular light.  Be AWARE… your fluorescents work off one (or more) of the Intellitec MPX modules.  You do not have a hardwired switch.  If you look at the label or the print where the CPU is and the FIVE (memory) big black modules, with up to TEN individual fuses or circuits per module….  You will see what fuses and circuits control the fluorescent fixtures.  As to your question about “cutting power”, there are some theories, probably wrong, that a fluorescent on an Intellitec module always has some minute current.  Personally never measured it.  Whatever you do, ALWAYS remove the fuse on the Intellitec module…before you cut or do any modifications.  If you plan on converting the existing fixtures, then, yes….disconnect or “cut” the power wire.  You really should remove a fixture and look at it and, if possible, remove the reflector that covers the ballast.  You need to run power directly to the new strips….and make sure that the power lead to the ballast is cut/disconnected.  Some fixtures have a side “on/off” switch.  If you intend to use it, snap it out or look at the backside and trace the leads so that the switch is only controlling DC power and not a power wire off the tube side of the ballast.

verify your wiring.  After you finish, reinstall the fuse to thatbsingle light and test the circuit.  You should be good to go.  In reality, you could replace every one of the 10 amp fuses on each FLUORESCENT circuit with, say a 5 amp fuse…as the LED will draw, supposedly, half the current of the fluorescent fixtures.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

"Late to this dance", but I upgraded the lights in my Monaco (Knight) recently.  I was tired of replacing Thin-Lite bulbs every 6 months, so I elected to get the Leisurervparts LED RV LED Ceiling Interior Light Fixture 1450 Lumen/Touch Dimmer Switch/12V 20 x 6" Natural White 4000-4500K with the bronze borders vs. the white borders, to better match the interior of my coach.  With a residential fridge upgrade in the works, the low light profile aided my tasking. These have a local power button and a 25%/50%/75%/100% dimmer setting that is retained upon power cycle. 

• Leisure LED 1 pack Slim Touch to Dim Light Fixture 1450 Lumens 144 2835SMD leds 10-30V Super Bright Natural White 4000-4500K . Replaces old fluorescent tube light fixtures.
  • 20 x 6.5" x .78" Slim Line 
  • High Quality Material and Reliable Performance : this CE and RoHs approved light has a life expectancy of more than 60,000 hours, lasts longer than standard bulb. It is also heat-resistant and anti-corrosive.
  • Built in Touch to Dim Switch Design: switch enables you to go from Off to 25% - 50% - 75% - 100%; it adds great functionality to any area for lighting and it is widely used as perfect replacement light for older fluorescent tube light fixtures. Much Slimmer for more overhead space.
  • Lower Power Consumption & High Energy Efficiency: It comes with 144 pcs 2835 SMD LED Chips. It only draws 18 Watts and provides total 1450 lumens of brightness

20230519_143829.jpg

20230519_145837.jpg

20230519_151924.jpeg

20230519_144107.jpg

20230519_145851.jpg

20230519_145842.jpg

20240220_195839.jpg