Slide weight capacity?

We are looking at replacing our sofa bed. And my wife is worried if we buy a conventional sofa it will weight too much. 

I only ask because to keep my sanity. What would the max weight a slide can handle for a sofa? Yes I know loaded question. 

2005 Monaco exec. 

Can't answer your question about weight but most conventional sofas will not go through the entry door, unless you plan to bring it in by removing the windshield.

Your current sofa bed will come apart in sections for removal through the entry door.

• Like 1

I suspect that your current sofabed weighs at least a couple of hundred pounds consider springs, mattress, platform to support the bed etc.  Ask the furniture store if they have a weight on what you are considering.  With that said you will likely have trouble getting any conventional sofa into you unit.  We changed out two poorly designed and uncomfortable recliners for a 84" sofa, we were able to find one that made into a jacknife bed and came in 3 pieces, 2 ends and the sofa/bed that we could get into our previous coach thru the door.   They are out there, but will require some searching,  but more importantly approval of your wife.   Good ,uck

As noted by others above, a conventional sofa will probably not fit through your door however if you want to go that route ask at the furniture store if the sofa comes KD or flat packed. This means it comes from the factory dissembled usually in 2 to 5 pieces plus the mattress and mattress mechanism. If so you may be able to receive it this way and assemble the parts once in your RV. Most soft good (sofas, chair, etc) are shipped this way even if they are made in the US.

We have a similar RV to yours (2005 Safari Cheetah) When we replaced out sofa bed we opted to go with a double electric reclined sofa with center console. I took it apart at the store loading bay in 7 pieces plus two bottom rails. Took it to the RV and reassembled on the floor with the slides out. Assembly and disassembly took about 1 hour. Note: It was much easier getting the pieces inside with two people and by removing the passenger front seat (4 bolts at floor). It also may be necessary to unscrew the door strap that keeps the door from opening more than 90 deg.

Weight is less of an issue these days with sofas. Depending on how often you use your hideabed you might want to look for one that comes with and air and pocketed coil spring mattress. These are more comfortable and less weight than the all foam or all innerspring versions. Similarly you can look for sofas that use spring and poly/feather seating rather than solid foam or fiber wrapped foam. They are softer, less weight and generally hold up longer. Of course, these options are also more expensive, but then what did you expect. Your shopping for things for your RV!

On 8/5/2023 at 11:36 AM, MJ.STIGER said:

We are looking at replacing our sofa bed. And my wife is worried if we buy a conventional sofa it will weight too much. 

I only ask because to keep my sanity. What would the max weight a slide can handle for a sofa? Yes I know loaded question. 

2005 Monaco exec. 

Are you replacing the sofa bed with a conventional sofa?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I am not sure what direction i am heading any more. 

I think i have the wife on board to have the current jack knife to be re upholstered. She wanted to have more sleeping surface to guest. But i where talking it through on how often we have guest and if its worth the work and $ to put into a new sofa. Vs having the current one redone. And which i can look at re doing the Captions Chairs. Which i think i saw a post on someone that will cut all the material and i can replace them.  

In regards to weight, I see you have an Exec. This means your forward slides will be HWH which are hydraulic and can handle additional weight ( within reason of course ). If your slide mechanisms were Lippert or RVA then I would have concerns. These are motor/gear driven and the motor ratings are about maxed out in regards to the factory weight. Adding additional weight to slides like these could cause motor/gear problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1