2002 Windsor Essex door & bay auto locking system issues and questions

Learning ahout my new-to-me 2002 Windsor 38PDD.

It seems the baggage door locks/handles have an actuator that should operate them? But I have no idea how to operate it?

Also, I don't seem to have a key for the baggage door locks and it does not appear just the lock cylinder can be replaced?

And I am missing one handle - do you all have a trusted parts supplier i could find one?

Many thanks for helping this newbie with his questions!

do you have a touchpad beside the door?  If so, you can use it to open the baggage doors.  Replacing the keypad if you have one is pretty easy.  Also, if it has the keyfob type system then that controller was located under the access panel on the top of the dash.  The touchpad wiring is under the passenger side armrest.  Just make sure you keep the terms keyfob and touch pad separate...they use the same actuators, but are different systems.

The picture of the black box is for the keyfob.  The wiring is wiring for the touchpad.

Hope this helps.

keypad .jpg

dash 1.jpg

keypad plug.jpg

You can open the bay door locks using the keyless pad.  After unlocking the front door using your preprogrammed code hit the 7/8 button and the bay door locks will unlock.

Attached is the parts page for the baggage door handles and includes the actuator.  http://www.euramtec.com/parts/f/f04/024N.html

You'll have to do a search for the door handle/lock

1 Baggage Door Electric Lock Parts.pdf

You will want to reset the code.  There is a reset button hidden somewhere, I did not find mine initially so I installed my own, but eventually while digging around in the front dash I found it.  Mine was located behind the radio.  There were a bunch of wiring black looms there and I found one that didn't have any wires coming out of it, looked at the end and there was a red button, that was it. 

Attached is the addendum that Monaco put out on the keyless entry, it explains how to reset the codes. 

keyless_entry.pdf

2 hours ago, Kevin Clark said:

oh my gosh, thank you guys!  I have the keypad but haven't messed with it yet because it's further down on the priority list!

Now I just have to locate the code....

in the picture above with the yellow wire attached to a button... that is the program button for the touch pad.  You can test the keypad to see if it is functional by hitting 555 or 556.  That should lock everything, bays and door.  If you don't have keys for the bays, then don't try this, because if it works, then you will not be able to open the bays!!! 

I did not have any key fobs for mine, so I just bought the new transmitter and it came with two programmed key fobs.  Much easier for me to just swap out the box and no programming required.  There are step by step instructions on this site, just do a search. 

With everyones help, I made SOME progress. Found the reset button and set a new master code (received the appropriate confirmation beeps).

When I enter the code, I hear a relay inside the dash area "click" but it does not actually unlock the doors.

Entering 555, 557 or 559 does lock the doors as it should. I just can't get them to unlock!

So you have a new code, does it unlock the front door??

If it does then hit the 7/8 button right after you unlock the front door, it should unlock the baggage doors.

If it doesn't you might check the locks/actuators themselves and make sure they are lubricated.  I have to lubricate mine every 1-2 years.  One of mine in particular needs lubrication about yearly. 

If that doesn't work test each actuator.

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

in the picture above with the yellow wire attached to a button... that is the program button for the touch pad.  You can test the keypad to see if it is functional by hitting 555 or 556.  That should lock everything, bays and door.  If you don't have keys for the bays, then don't try this, because if it works, then you will not be able to open the bays!!! 

I did not have any key fobs for mine, so I just bought the new transmitter and it came with two programmed key fobs.  Much easier for me to just swap out the box and no programming required.  There are step by step instructions on this site, just do a search. 

Jim - where did you purchase the transmitter for key fobs? Mine didn't come with any.

6 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

So you have a new code, does it unlock the front door??

If it does then hit the 7/8 button right after you unlock the front door, it should unlock the baggage doors.

If it doesn't you might check the locks/actuators themselves and make sure they are lubricated.  I have to lubricate mine every 1-2 years.  One of mine in particular needs lubrication about yearly. 

If that doesn't work test each actuator.

It does not unlock any of the doors. Entering 555 does indeed lock the doors though - so the actuator is working.

When I enter my new code, I hear a relay "click" in the dash - so it seems like it's trying to do something.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Clark said:

Jim - where did you purchase the transmitter for key fobs? Mine didn't come with any.

It does not unlock any of the doors. Entering 555 does indeed lock the doors though - so the actuator is working.

When I enter my new code, I hear a relay "click" in the dash - so it seems like it's trying to do something.

So the front door doesn't work either???

25 minutes ago, Kevin Clark said:

https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AVI-2101

A1Electric is where I got the keyfob and transmitter as well as the keypad by the door.  They are separate systems though.

I may be losing my mind! Just went out to follow up on one of the suggestions from this thread. Baggage doors now unlock! Front door does not, but confirmed with a voltmeter the contacts are getting juice when they should. Will open the door up tomorrow and check the actuator. 

In the downloads section of the forum there is an electrical schematic for your 2002 Windsor.  There is a page for the keyless entry, easiest way to find it is to use the PDF search function (magnifying glass) and use the key word "Keyless".  Looking at the diagram the first thing to check is the contacts, make sure they are clean, you can put a volt meter on the jam side and use the key pad and make sure you are seeing voltage when you unlock/lock the door.  If you are then it narrows it down to the actuator.  If not seeing power it would move the problem back to the controller.  If you are seeing power at the contacts then it would lead to the actuator. 

Here’s my write up on the keyless systems  and replacement of the wireless module 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/essex-1603-keypad-and-wireless-replacement-330319.html

My rig didn’t come with a bay door key either… I can’t remember who made the bay door locks, maybe trimark? I think I found a key code in the build sheet and was able to order replacement keys from the manufacturer. 

My bay door locks are Trimark.  I was fortunate that my coach came with the keys & Fobs.  But to be honest we don't really even use the Fobs, the keyless entry works great. 

When I programmed the lock the first digit was on the end so that even at night I can start to enter the code and the keypad lights up so I can enter the rest of the code.   This was a happy mistake but it might help others. 

Haven't heard back from the OP, hoping he'll respond so the thread gets finalized.

Yeah, I just checked my build sheet. All of the key codes are on the last page. 

BAG. COMP. DOORS Trimark TMxxx

I was able to order new keys from trimark based on that TMxxx code. It's in the "Model Number" column, but it turned out to be the code needed to order keys.

Mine are keyed the same as the trimark latch on the entry door. All of mine were super-crusty and wouldn't budge. After I finally got a working key, they needed lubrication before the key would open them. 

Edited by wamcneil

4 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Make sure that the door jam contacts are buffed up and shiny along with the contacts on the door too. I had to do that 2-3 times a year otherwise I could hear the relay click but no action inside the door.

Great tip, thank you!!

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions here. For the first time, the touchpad on my new to me '02 Signature works! Continuing to work through the list of things that didn't or still don't work... which started as about everything. This forum has been extremely helpful. On with the next item - refrigerator!

• Like 1