Electric Windshield Day/Night Shade Problem

lake49068
Go to solution Solved by lake49068,

The "night" (white) roller will not lower and don't know how to adjust it.  It does "jog" so there is power and some movement. Went on line and viewed lots of videos on how to do adjust them but all the demonstrated adjustment instructions indicate that there are "set buttons" wired into the roller end and I don't have that style.  I contacted MCD (not theirs), they suggested Irwin (not theirs, they suggested United Shade) but based on my research and in a phone discussion with Bradd & Hall, they think United went out of business years ago.  There are 2 plastic screws that have slots for a screw driver at the left end of the shade but I don't want to turn them until I know how they work.  Pictures of replacement motors on Amazon show a similar design but without any instructions on how to adjust them.  Plus the screws are in an awkward location so really don't want to be start turning them until I'm sure what I'm doing.  See picture.  Does anyone know how to adjust this design?

Adam
2010 HR Neptune 37PDQ

image.thumb.jpeg.0bc2e1d6c6d81df15cc2fd354dcab0b9.jpeg

Have 2 separate switches, one for Day roller, one for Night roller.  Each switch is a 2 position rocker switch located on left/driver's side console; push top of switch for shade up, push bottom of switch for shade down.  They look like typical Carling switches used on most Monaco/HR coaches.  There is probably no problem with the switches, think it's upper and lower limit adjustment at the roller end.  And think the 2 screw-like things shown in the picture are for setting upper and lower control limits.

My two windshield blinds are different but sound similar in operation.   I had similar sounding failure.  Took in down and "bench tested" (ok dinette tested) with 12 volts.  It acted the same.  Was gonna order a new one until I found the price $400 ish and out of stock to boot.   

Disassembled carefully--- (tiny springs and washers-- and broken plastic.) The axle is about 1/8-in diameter more or less and steel. Dead ends into a molded plastic cup in the end piece.  Of course it wasn't a solid hole, it was a built up plastic rim around "the hole or socket" for the shaft end, and the rim had shattered. 

The axle pulled awkwardly and worked intermittently a little bit and then finally locked up, like you describe.  Probably when I broke the rest of the plastic pieces during use.

I repaired it by reassembling the parts that were identifiable and fusing them together with JB Weld two-part plastic epoxy

Then I cleaned the hole out where the axle went in, with the drill bit.   Then a dab of Vaseline and reassembled.  So far so good it's been over a year but I grit my teeth every time I use it,  figuring the failure will reoccur probably.  One of these days I'll learn to trust my repairs.

Edited by TomV48

No, helping turn the screen shaft tube does not help it move...lots of tension/resistance and feels like it always has.  And taking the screen down , disassembling and trying to fix something internal will have to wait until someone chimes in with a good story about those 2 mystery screws.  Still hoping it's just adjustment...

I had this same issue with my day shade, push the button & it would jump an inch or so in either direction. Sought assistance from the  "master rv tech" at the shop where I store my coach but he told me that they couldn't figure out how to take the shade roller down to check the motor. I was recently at the Rev Group facility in Coburg so I had them check it. The head tech told me that getting the roller out was a real challenge....he said that they way it was designed & installed "it wasn't intended to be removed"! He did get the job done though. They replaced the motor & it works fine now.

I've been chasing for the identity of the manufacurer of the shade as I'm still hoping it's an adjustment issue.  Have been in contact with the third potential source (Automotion) and trying to confirm the manufacturer through REV in the interim.   If it's not an adjustment, next step will be a REV or Veurinks service appointment.  The screen assembly is sure in an awkward location and definitely needs 4 hands to get out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

REV was no help (say they don't have that level of build detail) and AutoMotion says it's not their shade.  I gave up trying to figure out if it is a  adjustment issue (very awkward location) and have an appointment at Veurinks to have the motor replaced.  Too cumbersome for me and they have the experience.