Slide tape.

Go to solution Solved by Martinvz,

We got ours at Home Depot, a 3M product, but can not recall the name. Note, there were two types, one with like a sand paper finish (black) and one with a heavy textured plastic finish (grey). I found the sand paper type too aggressive  and it began to rough up our new seal edges. We changed to the textured plastic and it works great without damaging the seals. The grey is a bit more noticeable but not obtrusive. I put it right next to the existing black tape where the back of the slide comes out of the coach. This way the seal always has to pass over the tape when opening or closing but does not actually sit on the tape when deployed or retracted.

36 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

Amazon has it. Look for gripper tape. 1 or 2 inches should be sufficient. 

It is the same tape that Marine suppliers sell to put on boat decks to give a “granular” non skid or safe surface.  Designed to “grip or catch” the rubber flap and flip over.  Now, if the slide has too much clearance or maybe cocked or warped or was replaced with a lip seal with different dimensions, don’t expect a miracle.  My rear seal was replaced by a factory tech that travels around Elkhart and does many per day.  Seal and lip are great, but after hundreds of ins and outs…new grip tape, unless it had an extra thick tape back ain’t gonna work.  I use my awning pick and pull down and finish flipping the lips….takes a minute or two.  Ripping off the old tape, which is in great shape and repairing would take a bunch of time and tedious work.  Maybe someday….now my work around is fine

2 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

We got ours at Home Depot, a 3M product, but can not recall the name. Note, there were two types, one with like a sand paper finish (black) and one with a heavy textured plastic finish (grey). I found the sand paper type too aggressive  and it began to rough up our new seal edges. We changed to the textured plastic and it works great without damaging the seals. The grey is a bit more noticeable but not obtrusive. I put it right next to the existing black tape where the back of the slide comes out of the coach. This way the seal always has to pass over the tape when opening or closing but does not actually sit on the tape when deployed or retracted.

Double DITTO.  MATCH the texture and grain size and “feel”.  The “aggregate sand paper” texture ain’t what you want….unless you have it and it works. Many people buy the rough stuff for gun grips and it eats the skin off their hands and is a PITA to get off without damaging the paint…or their nice factory grips…