2000 Dynasty. Main awning converted (2017] to power….Lost power….suggestions?

timaz996

I converted my main awning to a power awning in 2017 and now lost power. 

I had to use a drill battery to jump power to it to bring it in. All fuses are good and I have 13+ volts on both sides of the fuses. Including the one for the circuit I used. (circuit for stock power antenna) Everything I can think of to check has power except at the end where it should be.
Here is the wiring diagram. attached. Bottom left fuse bank second from the middle to the Left. Picture is upside down.

Any thoughts?

Front run plate.JPG

Depending on how awning electric transition form outside to inside, check your wiring and connections. Could be a ground or bad connection issue. The Carefree awng on our rig passes from outside to inside via a 7 pin connector. The O-ring went bad and water got into the connection resulting in similar simptoms to yours.

Mine refused to go in once and it turned out to be the motor thermal protection. It was so hot outside it tripped the protection. I was surprised it was that low. Had to wait for the sun to go down and it to cool off. Don't think this is your issue but something to consider.

Did you run the wire yourself? 

Chasing a door awning issue for years and changing what appeared to be a defective motor twice I found the feed wire had a problem. The voltage would drop on occassion and not be enough to initiate the opening or closing.

Running a new wire was a chore but had to be done, leaving the old one behind. 

Do you have a bulkhead connector on the outside? 

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a short, it should blow a fuse. Maybe an open? Since you applied battery voltage and it operates, the motor is ok, but did you do it with the wires connected or disconnected? 

Have someone operate the switch while you take a voltage reading somehwere along the way. Getting a measurement under load should tell the tale quickly.

If your voltage on the positive side stays fairly high, and the awning does not work, then put your voltage probe on the negative side of the circuit. If you get voltage on the negative side of the circuit you have a bad ground.

Edited by myrontruex

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2000 Dynasty. Main awning converted (2017] to power….Lost power….suggestions?