1st trip 2003 Knight. Mystery hole & wire next to bed. Help appreciated

This coach needs LOTS of TLC but every thing seems to work. We are at Don Carter state park near Gainesville Ga, on Lake Lanier. Still repairing and replacing Many 12VDC items, switches, bulbs ETC. I have a question, Next to the bed there is an empty hole with a black and red wire coming out of the wall, what do you think should be mounted there.  The other side has a switch for the Radio and an 120VAC outlet.

PXL_20231003_213206317.jpg

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 1st trip 2003 Knight. Mystery hole & wire next to bed. Help appreciated

Welcome to the world of “what is this or what was that”.  Here are some basics….that a lot of us have learned when helping others.

Topic title needs some specifics.  I edited it to focus on the issue 

Another 2003  owned is your best resource.

Picture is mandatory….along with the “other side”

Read your manual….all there….varying details . In my case, there is no 2003 Knight manual online….so no help from those of us inquisitive….

Google OTHER units.  Then pour over the pictures….bingo….a clue….see the screenshot below.  Went through the pictures of about 5 FOR SALE Knights….finally found what I think it looked like

Best guess….and should be in your manual. A clock radio or something along that line.  Insulated Red & Black, for typical 12 VDC is positive & Negative.  So, odds are….not 120VAC.  IT BROKE.  Instead of removing and making an attractive or plain Jane cover plate….yank & ignore.  

Hmmmmmm……gets deep now….my own suspicious mind.  The PO was not detail oriented nor meticulous….sure hope that they IMG_1025.thumb.png.616efe9d971779223d052d1e1cfc05cf.pngdid a better job of “repairing or removing or terminating” other really CRITICAL electrical or mechanical devices….  Now that comes from folks posting “gee…there is a missing” whatever. Could be off base…just a no nonsense PO.

The “object” was rectangular and there is no other “control” box that I am aware of (but not all knowing on all Monacos) that would be critical.  However, there have been past posters and topics about finding a replacement for a clock or CD player or whatever….and Monaco built them in or there was a “space” issue.

This should get you started….

• Like 1

Jim, like others are saying it’s probably a CO or Carbon Monoxide detector if you don’t have one in the bedroom. You should have a propane detector near the kitchen somewhere as well. BTW Don Carter State Park is one of our favorite parks next to Vogel in Georgia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I am lost!!!!!!!!!!!!  I need to see a picture of the hole, not the front end of the coach.  I am Not a Mind Reader!!!  Chuck B

Here you go.

PXL_20231004_185204488.jpg

6 hours ago, Martinvz said:

Could you post a photo of the hole and wire?

Here you go

PXL_20231004_185204488.jpg

9 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I am lost!!!!!!!!!!!!  I need to see a picture of the hole, not the front end of the coach.  I am Not a Mind Reader!!!  Chuck B

Chuck….he has NO picture.  The one I posted is from one that is on the market.  Zoom in on the right.  That box would work as a CO2 alarm for a hazmat site.

MAYBE the one in the “for sale” picture is a CD/Radio/Clock.  I don’t know.

@JimC295

if your manual says, and it should, that there is a  CO or Carbon Monoxide detector, then it can be in the ceiling or could be in the corner.  Corner location would not be the best….stagnant air. Ceiling is better.  Unless you purchase an RV RATED/APPROVED, detector you will be at risk.  The electronics in the home approved unit were not rated for the vibration of an RV.  Someone posted that riding down a highway was like being in a mild constant tremor zone….maybe a high 3 or low 4 (Ritcher). Home devices not rated.  

So, do the research.  No CO detector in bedroom….bad.  Monaco used 12 VDC.  IF a bettery one in ceiling….verify it is rated for RV, IF NOT…REPLACE.  Hard wired on the wall or battery powered, RV rated ceiling.  The OEM Monaco was hard wired.  Test the voltage.  If HOT…may have been CO2.

If you go battery RV rated in ceiling….use the power for a gooseneck LED Reading light.  Or put a blank outlet cover on it….

4 hours ago, Robert92867 said:

That would be for the O2 detector

I would have never guessed Co2 but makes sense especially since you sleep over the engine.

6 hours ago, JimC295 said:

I would have never guessed Co2 but makes sense especially since you sleep over the engine.

NO.  You have a gas stove, original gas/electric refrigerator, gas/electric hot water heater & probably a gas furnace….  All deadly potential.  The 
OEM Monaco CO or Carbon Monoxide were about the size of the propane detector under the toe board under the stove.  Whatever the device was….and it looks about the same size as the 2004 FOR SALE…it is 4 times the size of a CO detector….see MANUAL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia Mike said:

Jim, like others are saying it’s probably a co2 detector if you don’t have one in the bedroom. You should have a propane detector near the kitchen somewhere as well. BTW Don Carter State Park is one of our favorite parks next to Vogel in Georgia.

Don Carter is just a short hike down the road from our house in Cleveland. I checked out Vogel once and decided it was to tight for my 5th wheel maybe I'll take another look since I no longer have to bend in the middle. LOL

Tom I do have a (edited) CO or Carbon Monoxide detector on the baseboard in the bathroom. I am aware of the deadly consequences of a gas leak inside an RV. I am just wanting to get this coach back up to spec so we can enjoy it and feel safe traveling in it. I spent 25 years in the USN and every sailor is a firefighter we received extensive training on fires and causes of fires and gases in enclosed spaces. If deployed on a ship and you have a catastrophe  u can't call the fire department. LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimC295 said:

Tom I do have a co2 detector on the baseboard in the bathroom. I am aware of the deadly consequences of a gas leak inside an RV. I am just wanting to get this coach back up to spec so we can enjoy it and feel safe traveling in it. I spent 25 years in the USN and every sailor is a firefighter we received extensive training on fires and causes of fires and gases in enclosed spaces. If deployed on a ship and you have a catastrophe  u can't call the fire department. LOL

Fascinating.  Where in yiur manual does it say the CO or Carbon Monoxide is located?  Most we see here are middle of ceiling in bedroom.  Maybe Monaco did that.  Bottom line…check the dates on both the propane and CO & verify RV RATED.

IF CO in bathroom, then the hole has to be for an optional entertainment device…per my screenshot picture.  It should also be described in your manual.

Let us know after you read up…

• Like 1

Methinks you all are referring to a CO (carbon monoxide) detector... CO2 (carbon dioxide) is all around you and essentially harmless, unless there is nothing else in your air supply.

Is it possible that the wires are meant for a switch for a reading light?  My '08 has one of those on each side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve P said:

Methinks you all are referring to a CO (carbon monoxide) detector... CO2 (carbon dioxide) is all around you and essentially harmless, unless there is nothing else in your air supply.

Is it possible that the wires are meant for a switch for a reading light?  My '08 has one of those on each side.

YES….guilty of a brain lapse and a typo. Yes…carbon MONOXIDE.  I’ll go back and correct my typo…and the others before it….but it doesn’t change the logic or the discussion.

Thanks for the catch….I’ll be more careful with my Acronyms.

• Like 2