Radiator & cool pack replacement

The last several years my 2000 Dynasty kept overheating occasionally on Rocky Mountain climbs. I just slowed down and I could manage the temps ok.  Then I noticed a repeat of a dirt clump on the lowest radiator (I thought that was the transmission cooler- but later on found out it was the fan/power steering cooler), I washed the clump off and it later reappeared - so I figured there was a small oozing leak there. - Time to get the cool pack replaced. (Did the CAC too).

I knew I didn’t want to tackle that job, and who doesn’t like a trip to Oregon? So I had Source Engineering order the radiator into their shop.

IMG_3664.thumb.jpeg.7dd371a44ea4781f1aac8ac37eb7c3a2.jpeg

Those boxes are big!

The right equipment to lift the rig.

IMG_3662.thumb.jpeg.59e554543b1969fc0ca1bd3c3e2bdc72.jpeg

We were out of our rig only one night and they were done before noon.

IMG_3666.thumb.jpeg.efa005ad246e365d78195c1bcea34ca1.jpegIMG_3667.thumb.jpeg.e5afe7fed4bb2f5a4328a53bf6739f21.jpeg

It was definitely time

On our drive to the Oregon coast, the transmission temps were cooler. No big climbs yet… but I am sure the engine will run cooler on those when they happen.

They did a good job. 

One other item they changed was OEM there was a big rubber flap on the rear of the radiator to seal the hot air from circulating around and going back into the radiator. They put up some sheet metal to accomplish the same thing. Which is great, I once had that rubber piece come off and the engine was getting too warm on a little climb.

Expensive project, but I think it was worth it.

• Like 2

Great photos. The CAC is likely my next project

• Like 1

I had my CAC replaced in 2017 and had to do it again last year. (last year was a new core with my tanks) and I had them mount it with 1/8" rubber in between the CAC and metal mounts this time. I also try to limit my boost to 30psi on long climbs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

The last several years my 2000 Dynasty kept overheating occasionally on Rocky Mountain climbs. I just slowed down and I could manage the temps ok.  Then I noticed a repeat of a dirt clump on the lowest radiator (I thought that was the transmission cooler- but later on found out it was the fan/power steering cooler), I washed the clump off and it later reappeared - so I figured there was a small oozing leak there. - Time to get the cool pack replaced. (Did the CAC too).

I knew I didn’t want to tackle that job, and who doesn’t like a trip to Oregon? So I had Source Engineering order the radiator into their shop.

IMG_3664.thumb.jpeg.7dd371a44ea4781f1aac8ac37eb7c3a2.jpeg

Those boxes are big!

The right equipment to lift the rig.

IMG_3662.thumb.jpeg.59e554543b1969fc0ca1bd3c3e2bdc72.jpeg

We were out of our rig only one night and they were done before noon.

IMG_3666.thumb.jpeg.efa005ad246e365d78195c1bcea34ca1.jpegIMG_3667.thumb.jpeg.e5afe7fed4bb2f5a4328a53bf6739f21.jpeg

It was definitely time

On our drive to the Oregon coast, the transmission temps were cooler. No big climbs yet… but I am sure the engine will run cooler on those when they happen.

They did a good job. 

One other item they changed was OEM there was a big rubber flap on the rear of the radiator to seal the hot air from circulating around and going back into the radiator. They put up some sheet metal to accomplish the same thing. Which is great, I once had that rubber piece come off and the engine was getting too warm on a little climb.

Expensive project, but I think it was worth it.

Great post.  The guys at Source really know their business. It is so nice to pay for service WHEN you get it. And after going down the road 3-400 miles it's still performing as it should. https://eliternr.com/120-2/ is another entity I would recommend. 

Edited by Paul J A