Fan Hitting Shroud

I have been fighting cooling issues on my new to me 2005 Diplomat with the 400 HP ISL.  There were some oil and hydro leaks.  I think the rad got dirty and a bit plugged up. 

While looking at it from inside the bedroom (rear radiator), I noticed that the fan in hitting the fan shroud.  It is just on the top, from somewhere around 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock.  It seems like the shroud sagged down a little.  No other contact.  The plastic blades have a little grove getting cut into them at the intersection.

Any one how how to adjust the shroud?  I am trying to figure out how it is mounted, but visibility isn't great.

From what you're saying without seeing it I would be looking at my radiator mounts. I'm thinking your shroud is fastened to your rad but not really knowing the rear rad set up can't say for sure...also sounds as though your rad needs a good cleaning..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowpoke said:

From what you're saying without seeing it I would be looking at my radiator mounts. I'm thinking your shroud is fastened to your rad but not really knowing the rear rad set up can't say for sure...also sounds as though your rad needs a good cleaning..

I am working on the cleaning.  Still more to do on that front, but it is making a difference.  I had not thought about the radiator and CAC stack mounting.  Will see if I can figure that out.  They are stacked vertically, with the CAC above the Rad.

That year isl should have a breather tube that exits above the starter.  Not only is this bad for the starter, but the oil mist gets pushed into the cooling package and acts like glue for dirt/dust.  You can install a catch can and eliminate all of these problems.

• Like 2

I was thinking along the same lines as cowpoke, I’d be looking at radar stack mounts, that shroud should not be that close to the fan. In thinking about this I would also check the transmission mounts, if the transmission should tip down towards the rear of the trany it would force the front of the engine up which could cause the same problem.

• Like 1

Powerwash the engine bay.  Don't get too close to the radiator fins or reduce pressure.  Stay away from electrical modules / connectors.

If you don't have a powerwasher (what?) rent one.  Well worth the effort and investment.  Takes 10 minutes to clean the whole bay.  Do the battery bay next (if open to road / draining).

Degrease engine bay / radiator.

Wash again.

Then look at the mechanicals like others have said to see why the shroud is getting that close to the fan.

See if the shroud is bent.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have figured out my problem.  On the drivers side, the cooling package is attached to a steel tab with a bolt and bushing.  On the driver side, the mounting isn't there.  It is just resting on the frame extension for the Hydrolift. (Anyone interested in a used Hydrolift?)  The whole cooling package is sitting crooked.  I do not see any evidence something broke off.  It could have been this way for 15 years, since the Hydrolift was installed. 

Now to figure out how to address it.  I think I will try putting a scissor jack in the low side and carefully see if I can raise it to the correct height.  If that works, and the fan clears, then will see about how to get a mount in there.

20231020_160015117_iOS.jpg

20231020_160032428_iOS.jpg