MCD Shade - toggle switch install

I installed the driver window MCD motorized shade.  Remaining work is finding power source and installing toggle switch.  For those who’ve install the toggle switch for the Motorized shades, what is the best method for cutting the cutout?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

2008 Monaco Diplomat 40’ PDQ

Tony, it kinda depends on the switch you choose and whether you want it to match the other switches in your coach. It also depends on whether you want to cut it into one of your existing panels or get one that's pre-made and the switch snaps into it. My experience has been to try to cut the switch into an existing panel.  That way if you screw up, you can enlarge it and use a pre made plate. My coach is solid oak which is really hard wood and it takes a lot to make any cuts. Regardless, use a sharp razor blade knife to score the wood. Measure twice, cut once. Once scored, I use a wood chisel to finish cutting the wood. I've found with small cutouts trying to use a router or a jig saw won't give you the desired finished product...hope this helps....Dennis

4 hours ago, tdccmc said:

I installed the driver window MCD motorized shade.  Remaining work is finding power source and installing toggle switch.  For those who’ve install the toggle switch for the Motorized shades, what is the best method for cutting the cutout?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

2008 Monaco Diplomat 40’ PDQ

On our 2006 Diplomat there is a switch for the drive shade and one for the passenger shade just to the left of the steering column and another switch for the passenger shade on the console to the right of the passenger chair. Since the main motivation for installing the MCD windshield shades was because the driver shade failed and there were always gaps between the shades that the sun seemed to always shine thru. So what I did was remove those OEM shades and use the power wires that were already there and the factory installed switches.

• Like 1

Bob, thanks for responding.  I’m thinking you were referring to the windshield shade.  That’s in the plan but need to cut OH cabinets first.

Dennis, thanks as well.  The plan is to install the new switch in the gap between the park break and trans module.  Really prefer not to remove all of the existing switches in order to remove the panel.  Thinking of marking and drilling corners.  Then use Dremel with straight bit with wood guide blocks.

I’ll practice to see if this plan will work before jumping in.

Tony

0DB3B055-CDED-422B-A5A6-95064DC865DA.jpeg

I will also test using multipurpose Dremel tool with cutoff blade.  Next question is power.  Have an unused power wire for CB radio (not used).  Tests seems to work fine with shade moving up and down.  Any reason not to use that as power source?

I had an empty blank near the left side of the main driver's dash panel just below the headlight switch and another blank at the right side of the center dash panel. I installed two, one in each location so both myself and my wife have access to lower or raise the main wide white windshield shade anytime it is needed. We just have to be careful that both of us don't try to activate the switches at the same time. That will blow the fuse. I also use a tiny micro switch to program the shade for its travel stops which then gets removed after programming. Photos of driver's side and center console  are below.

Roardside Driver's Dash.JPG

Center Console.JPG

Edited by Dr4Film

On 7/1/2020 at 7:17 AM, tdccmc said:

Bob, thanks for responding.  I’m thinking you were referring to the windshield shade.  That’s in the plan but need to cut OH cabinets first.

Dennis, thanks as well.  The plan is to install the new switch in the gap between the park break and trans module.  Really prefer not to remove all of the existing switches in order to remove the panel.  Thinking of marking and drilling corners.  Then use Dremel with straight bit with wood guide blocks.

I’ll practice to see if this plan will work before jumping in.

Tony

0DB3B055-CDED-422B-A5A6-95064DC865DA.jpeg

Tony,

Yes I misunderstood what you were asking. All our motorized MCD shades except for the windshield are wireless. As for the cockpit shades on the driver and passenger side, I chose to do manual shades there. We leave the night shade all the way up when driving. The day shade on the passenger side stays down all the time and has magnets at the bottom to keep it from banging. The driver side day shade is pulled down to a location that I can reach it while driving and has magnets to capture it in that position. If I need it I pull it all the way down and have another set of magnets to capture it in that position.