Window surround sealant

Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

Thank you Scotty. I do have new butyl tape to use and look for where I can get Proflex

Thank you for the info and for the hard work you and others do in maintaining this fantastic forum. It is very much appreciated by all of us. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Give the butyl a few days to squeeze out the gap before you trim off excess and apply your Proflex.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up  

I don’t see Proflex in black?

Edited by Chargerman

14 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

Will do. Thanks for the heads up  

I don’t see Proflex in black?

Google be your friend.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pro-flex-rv-flexible-sealant/

it comes in 5 colors or shade.  Black be one of them.  It is sold in the USA and Canada.  This page, hopefully, gives you the UPC code for USA Black.  If not just Google Geocel Proflex Black.  Lots of hits….but make sure as some of the regular Geocel products show up.  BTW, just purchasing plain “old” Geocel Sealant in Black at any roofing supplier, like ABC Supply, will work,  the only difference….”ENVIRONMENTAL”.  Geocel was inundated with requests for a low volatile” or low solvent based version of the original Geocel that Monaco used.  If you read your manual, it may…many do, tell you every brand and type and where used sealant or caulk was used…..but then not give you a “common sense” print of the main high current DC circuit.  Pardon my sarcasm….but Monaco had a cut and  dried version of the manuals and did not spend enough time on making the prints logical and easy to find or interpret.  But if you pet stained any fabric or surface, paragraphs and paragraphs on cleaning.

https://www.dyersonline.com/geocel-black-10-oz-proflex-rv-flexible-sealant.html

seriously, the manual did have a wealth of information and I have a background in sealants and caulks, from over 30 years of overseeing commercial roofing jobs.  I learned a lot reading mine.  The Proflex is just a less “smelly and stinky” version of what Monaco used.

NOW you know!  Don’t ever use a Lowes or Home Depot, even name brand.  The only three I use are the Proflex….and the DiCor EPDM Lap Sealant for touching up the white caulk on the roof an a 3M RTV Rubber windshield sealant…has more flex and good UV protection.

2 hours ago, Chargerman said:

I need to reset my Drivers side window and am looking for what is the best chalk/sealant to put around the perimeter once installed.

Was your window foggy? How do I correct that?

Tom

As always you are Johnny on the spot with the details and I thank you

for that. I did find the black and have a tube on the way.  
    My window was not foggy, I had to remove it to replace my fridge and I’m not happy with the sealant I used when installing it. My window was foggy at one point and I removed it, cleaned the glass and resealed and assembled it.  This is the material I used between the panes:

https://www.dkhardware.com/black-3-16-wide-edgetech-super-spacer-66-foot-roll-alum-ss31666bl-vcp-1-product-89317.html

They are not “sealed” like home glass units but the size of the drives side unit does make it a little challenging. In my opinion, unless you have good confidence in your mechanical aptitude, I would take it to someone who has real experience in doing this work