Michelin X COACH Z feedback requested

Time to replace my Michelin XZA2 295/80R22.5 tires on a 2003 Dynasty. Seems like currently the only option from Michelin in that size is a X COACH (or X COACH Z). Does anyone have any feedback on their use of the X COACH tires? Should I be considering other brands for a quality, smooth riding tire? I tend to not pinch pennys when selecting tires for a motorhome and want “the best”, not necessarily the best value. 

We purchased our coach just over two years ago, the previous owner had installed new Michelin XZA 2 Energy’s 8000 miles before we bought it, I put probably 4000 miles on it and I didn’t like the ZXA’s on the steer axle, to me they felt kinda spongy or squirrely in regards to the sidewalls. In the spring of 22 I put X Coach Z’s on and I would not hesitate to put them on again, nice ride, very stable in regards to handling and they seem to wear well on our coach. They do have a bit more carrying capacity than the XZA’s, I’m sure that’s why they fell better on the steer axle, FYI, I’m still running the XZA 2’s on the drive and tag axle, they’re fine back there imo.

I spent 42 years driving commercial vehicles and just over twenty years running from Minnesota to California for myself, I don’t know everything but after a tad over 3 million mile's, I’ve gone thru a few tires. I only used Michelin on my own equipment, including my coach, I can’t speak for other brands. I’m sure others are good as well 

If you don’t know, the X Coach Z’s are directional tires, after they are half worn out you can reverse the rotation.

I think you’ll be happy.  Jmo.

We bought our Coach 2 years ago.   It had 2 year old XZA 2’s all around.  The coach drove well, however my experience is limited.  We had an alignment issue last spring and ruined a front tire.  Had to replace both steer tires with X Coach Z’s.  The ride is smoother and more stable.  I like the X’s, did not like the price.  

I replaced XZA2s (drive & steer) with X Coach Zs a little over a year ago. Moved 2 year old XZA2s from front axle to tag. So far I like the X Coach's better than the XZA, especially with regard to handling.  I experienced an immediate improvement with directional stability, far less steering inputs required to keep the coach between the lines. As per Jeff's comment I too found the XZAs a little squirmy on the front and any cross wind or uneven surface required more attention and inputs to keep things on the straight and narrow.

I appreciate the feedback/comparison. I admit I like the X for the reasons you site, as I have no experience with any other version. I don’t need much to convince me to stay with the X—as they have served me well. This feedback settles my conundrum; sticking with the X. I will deal with wear on the edge by rotating side to side. I know my alignment is on point because I annually have JoSam’s check it. THANKS!

Michelin is an expensive brand, but I use them on my automobiles due to the exceptional warranty and ride comfort.  Michelin tires for RV's are  expensive, but have added compounds (verses their competitors) to vastly slow down UV degradation and degradation from infrequent use.  I have used Hercules Strong Guard H-RA 275/70R22.5 H/16PLY on my coach for the past 7 years and have been very pleased with the performance and the exceptional Hercules pro-rated warranty of 7 years covering tire defects (Their warranty is on par with Michelin). 

I am replacing my RV tires this December and will again go with the Hercules because of the very similar warranty (to Michelin), The "made in the USA" pedigree (Findley, Ohio), and the exceptionally low tire cost ($383/tire versus the FMCA pricing for Michelin X (XZA2 ENER 148M(LRJ)) for $588/tire).  Michelin's added compounds are not worth the extra $105 per tire in my humble opinion.

If you do move forward with Michelin, the lowest cost is attainable through the FMCA tire program benefit.

Edited by CAT Stephen

On 10/31/2023 at 11:53 AM, CAT Stephen said:

Michelin is an expensive brand, but I use them on my automobiles due to the exceptional warranty and ride comfort.  Michelin tires for RV's are  expensive, but have added compounds (verses their competitors) to vastly slow down UV degradation and degradation from infrequent use.  I have used Hercules Strong Guard H-RA 275/70R22.5 H/16PLY on my coach for the past 7 years and have been very pleased with the performance and the exceptional Hercules pro-rated warranty of 7 years covering tire defects (Their warranty is on par with Michelin). 

I am replacing my RV tires this December and will again go with the Hercules because of the very similar warranty (to Michelin), The "made in the USA" pedigree (Findley, Ohio), and the exceptionally low tire cost ($383/tire versus the FMCA pricing for Michelin X (XZA2 ENER 148M(LRJ)) for $588/tire).  Michelin's added compounds are not worth the extra $105 per tire in my humble opinion.

If you do move forward with Michelin, the lowest cost is attainable through the FMCA tire program benefit.

There have long been many reports of Michelin RV tires having premature sidewall cracking and failure from UV exposure.  I had them on an older gasser once, but I'd never trust them on an RV myself.

Yours is not the first good report I've heard re: Hercules tires.
I'll definitely be looking into them when I replace mine.

I bought a set of TransEagle tires for one of my trailers, after an original Carlisle tire blew out.
They looked surprisingly good, and have held up well so far.
They also make truck tires, and are another brand I'll consider after a bit more research.

Edited by dl_racing427
  • Like 1

I'm also thinking about replacing all 6 of my tires with Michelin X COACH Z on my 1999 Monaco Executive. Right now I have 295/75R22.5. If I go with the X Coach I will have to go to 295/80R22.5. There is only a little over an inch difference in sizes so I don't see a problem. Anyone see anything that I could be missing?

Thanks

On 10/31/2023 at 5:09 PM, Raymond said:

Thanks for the information, but I have owned many brands over too many years and Michelin has never failed. I am inseparably attached to Michelin. Everything I own with an engine that rolls have Michelins. 

Guess you lucked out and never owned XRVs that actually blew out sitting still or more recently ones that has serious cracks at 4 years. Don’t get be wrong, I used nothing but Michelins for almost 40 years, but never again.

• Like 1