AquaHot AHE-100-02S

It's also worth mentioning that many shops' idea of fixing something is loading a parts cannon and firing.  This isn't the proper way to fix the issue and only ends up costing more time and money in the long run.  Granted there are times when multiple parts being replaced make sense such as on an older unit and while it is out on the workbench.  However, to fix an issue some shops (and technicians) will just throw parts at it in hopes one of them fixes the problem.  

As owners of these aging rigs, I feel it is our responsibility to know these systems and the proper sequence of operation.  Knowing when something is supposed to happen next and doesn't helps greatly to know where the system failure is occurring.  Even if you choose not to perform the work yourselves, having a working knowledge of the sequence of operation aids tremendously in communicating the problem to whomever is going to work on it.  This too will save a lot of time, money and frustration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@zmotorsports Mike, I totally agree! You would be surprised at the number of owners who do not know that the Webasto diesel burner is their primary heat source and the Electric Assist is the secondary heat source. This is stated very early in the owners manual.

The Aqua-Hot has a very specific sequence of events with motors, pumps, sensors, relays, control box, etc. that all need to work for the the Aqua-Hot to run correctly. Anyone of them can cause the unit not to run.

I highly recommend every owner to sit down and read the entire manual, owners and service manuals, then and only then they will have a better understanding of its operation. I would bet that most owners have not done that, then they post here to get help.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

@zmotorsports Mike, I totally agree! You would be surprised at the number of owners who do not know that the Webasto diesel burner is their primary heat source and the Electric Assist is the secondary heat source. This is stated very early in the owners manual.

The Aqua-Hot has a very specific sequence of events with motors, pumps, sensors, relays, control box, etc. that all need to work for the the Aqua-Hot to run correctly. Anyone of them can cause the unit not to run.

I highly recommend every owner to sit down and read the entire manual, owners and service manuals, then and only then they will have a better understanding of its operation. I would bet that most owners have not done that, then they post here to get help.

I hate to say it Richard, but this was the biggest reason I quit participating in the Facebook Monaco group.  I have been dumbfounded just how many people who have bought Monaco coaches over the past few years that had to ask how to work their "furnace".  When people would ask if they had a regular LP furnace or the Aqua-Hot unit, many didn't even know what they had in their coach.  I guess more money than brains comes to mind that people are buying these things without ANY research or investigation yet expect others to bail them out of every situation that comes along.  

Having one of these coaches is not for the faint of heart nor the uneducated when it comes to knowing the systems.  Yes, there are a LOT of great people on various forums willing to help but there has to be some effort put forth by the owners and as these coaches age, this is becoming even more important. 

I am so glad I found this forum for this very reason.  Seems like so many like-minded people here that are willing to help, but also people willing to put the time in to learn their rigs.  Makes for a win/win forum with such a wealth of knowledge to be shared.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If the combustion air fuel pump motor is running slow it can give you the excessive smoke, fuel dripping symptoms.  I had bad bearings on the combustion air blower. Part number WPX-378-313 bearing kit put me back in service.  I believe the motor RPM is supposed to be 4500.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Or they call you 😘

• Like 1

Before you spend a ton of money on a burner rebuild or repair. I would check and see if you are losing boiler antifreeze. We have seen a lot of cracked burn chambers this winter not sure why. Other than those unit are getting 20 years old. The fluid leaks in when the unit isn’t running and than stops after a long burn the crack closes up. On your unit it is easy to check because you have an old time radiator cap. Take the burner out borrow or rent a Stant radiator pressure pump. Pump it up to 13 PSI than look in the burn chamber for the leak. I hope that isn’t your problem but we have seen 6 since November 1st

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, radioman said:

I hope that isn’t your problem but we have seen 6 since November 1st

AHE-100 models, or ALL models?

My 450D model sprung a tank leak just over a year ago, but, luckily not into the burn chamber.

Edited by 96 EVO

All model 100 200 500 600 450D 

By sides age most of these unit didn't have proper maintenance over the years. Just like like an automobile the antifreeze should be flushed and refill with new ever 5 years even every 4 years would be better or at least check the PH with a test strip. Antifreeze  be it propylene or the old time stuff turns too far to the acid scale when it gets old.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, radioman said:

All model 100 200 500 600 450D 

By sides age most of these unit didn't have proper maintenance over the years. Just like like an automobile the antifreeze should be flushed and refill with new ever 5 years even every 4 years would be better or at least check the PH with a test strip. Antifreeze  be it propylene or the old time stuff turns too far to the acid scale when it gets old.

So why isn't the manufacturer telling it's customers this?

They are basically saying, unless you have to replace a pump or thermostat, the boiler fluid is good for life!

• Like 1

NOW….we have the dilemma…. Way back when, circa 2016….  John Carillo told a customer that they SHOULD, every 10 years, replace the hear exchanger fluid.  I was assigned, by Fred, I think, to “get to the bottom” of this,  I emailed Roger Berke.  I sent him the posts and also, maybe an email from John.  I knew John as he worked on mine and had called to confirm.  Roger responded….NO.  AH, back then, said NO.  Eventually, Roger and John reached a mutual understanding.

I am NOT disputing Radioman’s comments and was going not to respond.  Remember that John was an assembler for AH as well as manned their tech support lines and also rebuilt customer’s units…before he went out on his on.  Roger’s credentials are also equally impressive.

What, MEMORY, says.  They each sort of “moved a little”.  They recommended for full timers, who spent a few months annually, using the AH that “ flushing” and or replacement was nebulous….might just totally drain and replenish or maybe flush the unit and not the exchangers.  Distilled water was to be used.  The decision criteria was also time and use and “visual” determination.  For folks that were, as most of us NON fulltimers, drive on…..mine is 15 years old.  I have added a little…maybe 2 quarts or so, but infrequently and not an OMG where did it go event. I remember some discussion about testing and such and we had a frequent contributor that was of the “every 5 years” vein. Lots of debate….

Google it.  Call Aquahot.  Been awhile since the lively debate.  I stated what I was told and that was the last time this popped up….or I missed it.

TWO screen shots from my googling….

Research for yourself.  I WAS told that Camco quit making for selling the AQUAHOT Approved boiler antifreeze.  That was maybe 2 or 3 years ago.  Interesting….here are the screen shots from AH and Camping World.  Notice that the Camco does NOT seem to have the “AH Approval”.  HMMMM  $20 vs $92….

IMG_1124.png

IMG_1123.png

IMG_1126.png

IMG_1125.png

• Like 1

Richard answered the question about the white smoke. It is excess diesel fuel from the the times it failed to ignite the burner. I had the same problem with mine. My issue was a bad control board. Easy to replace. Plug and play. But the boxes themselves are not cheap. Used or rebuilt 1st generation is about $400-$500 .. New 4th generation is $800+ 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:58 PM, Hancoman said:

I am having the exact same problem, lights when it wants to then puts on a smoke show for a time.  I have an appointment with Oregon Motor Coach Center tomorrow. I will let you know what I find out. 

Please keep us updated.  Thank you - Jan 29th response

On 1/25/2024 at 7:33 PM, radioman said:

Do what you want. We drain flush to its clear enough to drink than refill with new

I see the drain.  How do you flush it, wash it out with a cleaner and refill?

55 minutes ago, Steve in MI said:

I would not use any cleaners. 

I would drain system refill with distilled water circulate by running zone pumps, drain and repeat till clear.  Then refill with correct coolant for unit.

^^This.  I did the same procedure on mine years ago after performing a repair and then I could be certain I had the correct mixture as well as nothing was contaminated in the boiler system from the previous owner.  

Edited by zmotorsports

Update:  I have cleaned out the burn chamber and have discovered that I have a leak of some sort.  I think its water.  I'm not sure though.  Here are some videos.

I checked the AquaHot reservoir and it is not empty.  I believe its at the level its been at since I bought the coach March 2023.

Here are some video's from my finding.  What are my next steps now that I see this leak?

The radiator cap can go bad and not allow fluid from the recovery tank to return.  Check the level by opening the radiator cap (with the unit cold).  I replace that cap occasionally.

You can test for a boiler leak by using a automotive coolant system tester.  Pressurize the system and check to see if your heat exchanger is leaking.

Yeah, it's a good idea to occasionally check the level in the overflow tank cold, then when the boiler is right up to temperature, just to ensure the level is lowering / raising with temperature.