New Lithium battery. Is this one a contender?

JDCrow

• Tom Cherry changed the title to New Lithium battery. Is this one a contender?

I have four Lossigy 200ah batteries and you can now get them for $500 each. Two years full time now and I love them. I have two other friends that full time with them also.

Edited by timaz996

46 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

I have four Lossigy 200ah batteries and you can now get them for $500 each. Two years full time now and I love them. I have two other friends that full time with them also.

I know they have come WAY down, I have a 200ah and thinking about moving to another unit. The prices are falling fast. 

You get 560ah (2 batteries) for $999

IMG_1373.jpeg

I have heard of Valter electronics but not specifically their batteries. Like many of the LiFePO4 batteries out there (namely those made in China) are all coming out of a few factories, or at least the cells are and then the assembly may be done by some one else.

First, with regard to LFP batteries, I have 400 AH in the form of 4 - 100Ah units, for the last three years. Two are from SOK and two (a year newer) from LiTime. They play well together and have for the most part performed well. We do not have solar and are generally in parks with hook ups but do occasionally boondock or lotdock. The are used primarily to run electrical, including residential fridge, while in transit. One thing you should note is unlike lead acid batteries that dim as they are drawn down LFP have a different SOC profile. As a result they will be giving you plenty of power one minute and none the next. We learned that the hard way , which is why we added the second two batteries.

Second, LFP batteries have continued to improve in quality and drop in price over the last several years. As I recall I paid less than $250 a piece for the the 100 Ah LiTime units. For easiest comparison of cost to value is to convert to $/Ah. In your example 460 Ah @ $1399 is about $3.05/Ah so OK on value because you have less wire connects which are not cheap.. There are some other things to take into consideration. A) Space available. Can you accommodate the physical size of a single or double 460 Ah battery? In my case I could not accommodate 2 - 200 Ah batteries in my battery bay because of available free space. B) what is the maximum continuous out put of each battery?  This is generally determined by the BMS used in the battery. For example: If your battery BMS limits continuous out put to 100 amps and you have one 460 amp battery you can only support about a 1200 watt inverter. If you have 4 - 100 Ahr batteries with each having a 100 amp BMS you can easily support a 3000 watt inverter.

You should take these issues into consideration when changing from Lead Acid to LiFePO4.

Edited by 1nolaguy