Motorhome chassis thud noise every 10 seconds

Danny W

If you have an Automatic Transfer Switch, and it is misbehaving, it could be making the ‘thud’ sound. Perhaps place your hand on the case of the ATS and see if you can feel it. 

If you are not on shore and don’t have Genny ON, then the ATS should NOT be the issue.  The ATS will only try to switch when there is 120 VAC coming from the Genny.  The ATS’s normally closed position is or connects the shore power to the house or main panel output.

MOST of the “house” or Salesman breakers are “latching”.  In that there two “hot” wires that are used.  These come from a SPDT battery cutoff switch up front.  It is a spring loaded, normally center off.  You push it on “up” and release.  The relay or solenoid receives a momentary contact signal and latches the relay into the “ON” Position….conversely, when you push it down….it turns off.

NOW…..IF you have a ON/OFF Battery Cutoff switch….and NOT one that has a spring loaded switch, then you have a “continuous” power or non latching.

Determine if your battery cutoff switch is center OFF.  Spring Loaded ON (up) and OFF (down).  If it is a single throw up or down and NOT CENTER OFF.  Turn off the switch.  Noise GONE….The solenoid is the source….could be coil or such….takee apartee and fixee….

OP's problem is in the FRB . . . . but my ATS switches with a 'clunk' when connecting to shore power or genny power.  Southwire / Surge Guard 40100.  Just sayin'

Danny should be able to put a finger on each solenoid and feel if the 'thud' is coming from that component.  It's all 12V so no fear of electrocution, just make sure to remove any metal from the hand reaching in (wedding ring, metal watchband, etc.).

- bob

Edited by cbr046

33 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

OP's problem is in the FRB . . . . but my ATS switches with a 'clunk' when connecting to shore power or genny power.  Southwire / Surge Guard 40100.  Just sayin'

Danny should be able to put a finger on each solenoid and feel if the 'thud' is coming from that component.  It's all 12V so no fear of electrocution, just make sure to remove any metal from the hand reaching in (wedding ring, metal watchband, etc.).

- bob

YES….ATS needs genny power to cycle.  Odds are….he has a continuous duty (power on holds coil closed) House 80 A power solenoid and the coil if failing ormthe contacts are heating up.

He needs to follow trouble shooting or identifying the type and go from there.

• Like 1

I think you need a stehoscope but like me you might have to use the mechanic’s version. 
Take the longest screwdriver you have and wrap the tip with electrical tape for safety. Press the tip onto the case of the variou components and rest your ear at the handle. If it is the component you are pressing on, the sound should be a lot clearer to you. 
I am not sure how you will get yourself into  the run bay but I am sure it will be fun. 😀😎