House light switches

JTerry
Go to solution Solved by Frank McElroy,

All of my light switch pads remain illuminated. Where is the control to turn off the illumination? Also if the battery disconnect switches for the engine and house are turned off, does the charger continue to keep the batteries charged when hooked up to shore power?

2 hours ago, JTerry said:

All of my light switch pads remain illuminated. Where is the control to turn off the illumination? Also if the battery disconnect switches for the engine and house are turned off, does the charger continue to keep the batteries charged when hooked up to shore power?

YES….one of interspersed “backlight switch buttons is pushed ON. Press any of “backlight” buttons once and release….then the backlight will turn off after a few seconds.

Battery’s.  THAT depends.  I THOUGHT that the later model Dynasties were like mine….in that, the Main House Bank is connected through a 400 A fuse.  When you turn off the (House), that fuse or connection is NOT Broken.

read your manual….it has all the details on this as well as the idiosyncrasies of the Intellitec MPX system.

One quick tip. Turn off the house batteries and chassis batteries….at the main disconnect.  If the Magnum inverter display is lighted….then I’m correct.  That is so that you can also have internal AC power. With the Shore on but House off, that kills the Intellitec MPX as well as most everything else….but I’m gonna lean towards….charging….

Test and let us know.

• Solution
3 hours ago, JTerry said:

Dick B is correct - just press the master keypad once to turn ON and OFF all keypad backlights.  If you press and hold the master about 3 seconds all interior lights will will turn OFF.  If you press and hold about 6 seconds, all interior lights will turn ON. These are features of a coach with an Intellitec CPU lighting system.  On your coach you do NOT have backlight switch button - that's found on coaches without an Intellitec CPU because there is no master keypad feature.

As for charging the batteries with the battery disconnect turned OFF, the answer should be yes BUT only for the house and not the chassis batteries.  If you want both to charge, big boy must be working and you need both battery disconnect switches turned ON for that to happen.

Tom Cherry,

thank you for your comments. i will do some testing and see with the batteries disconnected and see what readings I get on the Magnum.

Thanks again

Frank has, as I stated or suspected, also answered, as well as confirmed my post....the answers to  your question(s). Your Inverter is NOT, contrary to popular belief....all MONACO's ain't the same, HOOKED up or CONNECTED through the House Disconnect switch.

Frank stated it well...  to repeat.

Your Magnum is on a 400 Amp FUSE.  It is NOT on the House Disconnect Switch.  It is directly WIRED to the House batteries.  SO, Shore or Genny Power....the Magnum charges....as it is directly connected.  For whatever "Unknown" reason, one shuts OFF the House Bank....and leaves the SHORE on or runs the Genny....the Magnum is gonna work.  If the display is DEAD....you have blown the 400 Amp fuse.  I carry a SPARE 300 A fuse (mine is lower rated)....if you are a SPARE PARTS GUY...then find and get the specs and order a 400 A fuse....and order a selection of the High Current Resettable (arm reset) breakers.

As Frank said....assuming your Board 6 (memory) and the Big Boy Solenoid or the BIRD system is working...  If you shut OFF the Chassis Batteries....as well as the HOUSE....but leave the SHORE (or Genny) on....  You WILL continue to charge (assuming that you don't turn OFF the charger on the Magnum Remote).  BUT....your Chassis will be ON ITS ON.

The common advice....don't turn off switches....especially if you have shore.

NOW....about the LIGHT switch and the Intellitec MPX.  It is NOT recommended that you turn OFF the "Battery Cut OFF" switch at the door or indiscrimatley cycle on and off the house bank.  Everytime you do that....you KILL power to the Intellitec MPX CPU and all the modules.  That THEN causes them to go through a COLD reboot.

ANOTHER WORD OF CAUTION.  Want to drive yourself crazy and thing the Intellitec MPX is broken.....  Disconnect, at the terminals, the battery leads....with the House Disconnect ON.  Then put them back on and start to tighten.  You will get several on and off or low voltage or intermittent "ON/OFF" pulses. This drives the CPU bonkers....as well as the MPX Modules.  NEVER, EVER....disconnect the House (or Chassis) bank without FIRST turning off the swtiches.  TRUST ME....it does happen and I am NOT the first to make this mistake.

Suggest you read sections 8 and 9....thoroughly and walk around and look at the pictures and identify the components.  You have a VERY complex system. More so than others.  Others, not familiar with yours, can give advice that could lead to issues.  SO, be aware...  KNOW how yours works and read and understand....

Good Luck.  Frank and my past responses cover your two questions....so this should be sufficient.

Always GOOD to post facts and information....