2006 Diplomat. No start! Help and assistance requested. Thanks.

Preparing  to leave one morning I started the engine in our 2006 Monaco Diplomat with 4  00 ISL.  It had been running for about 15 minutes when it shut down!  The ignition switch does nothing!  No crank, no instruments and no Allison.  I have checked all of the small fuses in the front run bay.  I tested the ignition switch and have good voltage feeding thru the switch but it is not getting where it needs to go!  Any good ideas?

Kent Peterson

2006 Monaco Diplomat

This happen to me once.  First thing I checked was the chassis battery disconnect, it was not passing voltage.  Removed it and bolted both cables together to get the rig started.  Ordered a new disconnect and installed for the final fix. 

I do have power to the front run bay, ignition switch, headlights.  I checked the disconnect first and it is ok.  I am going to clean battery posts and cables this morning but honestly they look really good so I am doubting it will help but would love to be surprised!

1 hour ago, kentpeterson11 said:

Preparing  to leave one morning I started the engine in our 2006 Monaco Diplomat with 4  00 ISL.  It had been running for about 15 minutes when it shut down!  The ignition switch does nothing!  No crank, no instruments and no Allison.  I have checked all of the small fuses in the front run bay.  I tested the ignition switch and have good voltage feeding thru the switch but it is not getting where it needs to go!  Any good ideas?

Kent Peterson

2006 Monaco Diplomat

We JUST had a similar problem.....pulled in for FUEL.  NO START...  Mobile Mechanic was baffled.  The member finally started a "search and destroy".  He found an errant "wire" had pulled or corroded or was NOT attached under or near the starter. He put a NEW ring terminal (crimped) on it.  BINGO....  no issues.

Shutting down when running can be caused by MANY things.  Time to pull the prints and chase the starter circuit.  Even a corroded connection in a mating harness could cause it.  Look at the prints..  Then use a test light or VOM and determine that you have power at all the critical points...

Maybe a loose "fuse" or a bad inline fuse.  PRINTS are the only way to find a break.  OBVIOUSLY crawl around and look and tug on a few wires....but with the prints....you at least KNOW what wires or circuits are critical...

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother cleaning battery cables.  You checked the voltage at the ignition switch and that was fine.  People often get confused by a bad connection that still passes voltage but won't crank, because they don't test voltage under load, but in this case the gauges and allison shifter should be on with very little current, and I'm assuming you're getting no attempt to start or other ign on functions. 

There are experts here on that era electrical system, I'm NOT.  It could be something as simple as an ignition relay, or associated ground.  If you can find that relay, that will give you a place to test to see if the problem is upstream or downstream, after swapping with another to see if it's just the relay itself.  I don't know if a 2006 has separate cube relays, or what, that's just what I'd expect. 

I have 3 fuse holders in my rear passenger side electrical bay, several fuses in each holder.  Most of the fuses are for the engine, one is for the transmission.  If you have fuses like this I'd check,  There have been several recent posts of a no start when one of the fuses was blown.  In the same bay there is also a IGN relay.

I also had a no start situation, I had moved the rig to the street in front of the house to connect the toad, went to start and nothing.  But I had the cat eyes on the allison display.  Ended up being the TCM and had to have ti replaced.  Some point later I opened the old one and had burnt circuit board,

This happened to me last September.  Idling at a truck stop and it just quit.  Sometimes turning the ignition switch would give me instruments and dash lights, most times it wouldn't.  It wasn't the ignition switch. 

In my case it was the Ignition Relay in Monaco Box ? in the FRB.  You can swap the relay with the Horn Relay in the other Monaco Box (I get 1 & 2 confused) for troubleshooting. 

Good luck,

- bob

• Like 1

I had already swapped relays and tested all fuses, it did not help!  Here is what I eventually found!  In the front run bay are two small boxes under the main Electrical Panel.  I don't recall right now what they are labeled but they have fuses inside.  I had already tested these fuses and now testing again!  The very first fuse I tested which is also the first one I tested before turned out to be the problem.  I believe it is labeled Key Start.  It was not blown but has a fine crack across the filament so as I touched it with probes from the VOM it was good but pushed back in it would not make contact!  Put in a new fuse and everything powered back up!

Kent

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2006 Diplomat. No start! Help and assistance requested. Thanks.
4 hours ago, kentpeterson11 said:

I had already swapped relays and tested all fuses, it did not help!  Here is what I eventually found!  In the front run bay are two small boxes under the main Electrical Panel.  I don't recall right now what they are labeled but they have fuses inside.  I had already tested these fuses and now testing again!  The very first fuse I tested which is also the first one I tested before turned out to be the problem.  I believe it is labeled Key Start.  It was not blown but has a fine crack across the filament so as I touched it with probes from the VOM it was good but pushed back in it would not make contact!  Put in a new fuse and everything powered back up!

Kent

Great.  Now, as a follow up to help others…can you take a picture or two of the “boxes” and which fuse was the issue.  Please post

Thanks,