windshield issue on 2003 Dynasty

Go to solution Solved by J Goddard,

So I searched through some of the posts, but didn't feel satisfied with the answers I found.  I was out in my barn working and took a break.  While I was sitting I noticed something different looking with the windshield seal on the drivers side and went to take a closer look.  Seems like the seal at the upper corner and down approximately 12-16 inches has pulled away over the winter.  I did go inside, and there was a small amount of water on the dash and a few droplets hanging on the overhead area, so I'm pretty sure the seal has breached.  My question is, does this mean I need to have the windshield pulled and replaced/reset?  It seems to me that it does.  The windshield has had a few 'dings' repaired in it already, but I'm hesitant about replacing based on some of the posts I've read.  Not sure if trying to reseal the original glass is an option or not?  I've included some pics.  Thanks for all replies/suggestions.

20240330_125646.jpg

20240330_125656.jpg

20240330_125723.jpg

Seems to me that the glass moved, as it should to certain extend if there is a leveling issue or bump twisting the body, but it should be floating in the rubber and not pull it off of the body. Since the bottom corner has not slipped out, that's probably what happened. The glass should not be glued to the seal and if it isn't, I would squeeze windshield urethane sealant under the outside lip of the rubber and push it back onto the body where it should be, while level. Tape it in place until cured. That's what I would do.

• Like 3

Can you push the seal back into place? If so, I have used a couple shots of black silicone behind the rubber and then pushed it back into place. Mine has held for several years.

• Solution

Recently, I had a very similar experience. Ugh. I had knocked off one of the clearance light covers over the driver's side while washing the coach using a pole mounted microfiber wash mop. Several days later when I climbed the ladder to replace the cover, I noticed that my driver's side windshield upper corner had popped. Needless to say, I was surprised that I hadn't noticed this from the ground. 

Just yesterday, I had an appointment at RV Glass in Coburg, OR where the technicians removed and reset the glass. I would advise that you have a reputable glass shop take a look at your situation. A popped windshield could be an indication that something else is going on. In my case, my glass had been replaced by a coach restoration shop last summer after they broke the original glass that had been in place since the coach was new. Their install was substandard and just didn't hold. As was explained to me, Monaco was not always 'exact' with the dimensions of the windshield opening in the front cap. My original glass survived almost 9 years of service. But when broken and subsequently removed, the new glass apparently did not fit perfectly. Observations of large amounts of sealant were evidence to that. RV Glass determined that the top of the opening was not straight and true and required approximately 1/8" ground off along a portion of the top. So in my case, I am glad I reached out to a shop that I could trust. Best of luck. 

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, J Goddard said:

Recently, I had a very similar experience. Ugh. I had knocked off one of the clearance light covers over the driver's side while washing the coach using a pole mounted microfiber wash mop. Several days later when I climbed the ladder to replace the cover, I noticed that my driver's side windshield upper corner had popped. Needless to say, I was surprised that I hadn't noticed this from the ground. 

Just yesterday, I had an appointment at RV Glass in Coburg, OR where the technicians removed and reset the glass. I would advise that you have a reputable glass shop take a look at your situation. A popped windshield could be an indication that something else is going on. In my case, my glass had been replaced by a coach restoration shop last summer after they broke the original glass that had been in place since the coach was new. Their install was substandard and just didn't hold. As was explained to me, Monaco was not always 'exact' with the dimensions of the windshield opening in the front cap. My original glass survived almost 9 years of service. But when broken and subsequently removed, the new glass apparently did not fit perfectly. Observations of large amounts of sealant were evidence to that. RV Glass determined that the top of the opening was not straight and true and required approximately 1/8" ground off along a portion of the top. So in my case, I am glad I reached out to a shop that I could trust. Best of luck. 

image.jpeg

Good to know!  I am taking it to the glass shop that was recommended by Holland Motor Home and Bus Co. where I have been having my coach serviced.