I know thiis s a very open ended question but i have a 2004 endevour on a roamaster chassis.The brakes in regular use seem fine until you get to the actual stopping and they will not lockup or slow you down very well and in a hard braking are dangerous.Has anyone any ideas of something that may be common and comes to mind.I am a mechanic and due to health issues am not able to remove the the wheels etc.

10 minutes ago, bonfield said:

I know thiis s a very open ended question but i have a 2004 endevour on a roamaster chassis.The brakes in regular use seem fine until you get to the actual stopping and they will not lockup or slow you down very well and in a hard braking are dangerous.Has anyone any ideas of something that may be common and comes to mind.I am a mechanic and due to health issues am not able to remove the the wheels etc.

I experience somewhat similar performance. I have wondered what pad materials might offer a bit better stopping power. Will monitor this thread to see what others think. 

Looks like that has air drum brakes, is that right?  Do you have experience with air brakes?   here is the clearest explanation of the slack adjusters that I found:

https://transportengineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Adjusting-S-Cam-Brakes.pdf

You're not likely to have worn out the brakes on a motorhome, but the slack adjusters could sure be sticking enough to affect braking.  If the slack adjusters don't go over 90 with full pressure applied by somebody sitting in the driver's seat, then I'd tee into the lines somewhere and run a line to the dash for front and rear applied brake pressure.  Some older trucks had those gauges in order to keep track of pressure needed to warn of situations like this.  There are other valves that could be affecting pressure, but you'd have to check the pressures to know what's going on.  I don't have enough experience to guess.

03 Endeavor same issue.  I had a shop check them out and one had a leaky wheel seal.  Seal, shoes and drums replaced and not much different.

Be sure to use your engine brake with your foot brake.

- bob

11 hours ago, bonfield said:

Under full heavy braking you should be hearing the ABS system kick in to prevent wheel lockup but it sounds like after the brakes heat up, you get even less braking. That is not a safe condition and must be repaired before driving the coach.

When brake drums get hot, they expand and if the slack adjusters are out of range you get reduced braking.

I believe that your coach has automatic slack adjusters but that doesn't mean they are working properly.  It's critical to periodically adjust the auto brake adjusters with multiple full brake applications while stopped on level ground with the parking brake off.  If the auto slack adjusters are working, brake chamber rod travel distance should come back into spec and give you full braking performance . But you still need to inspect your air brake slack adjusters and be sure brake chamber push rod travel distance is within spec with and without brakes applied.

If slack adjusters are out of spec, they need to be adjusted or replaced before the coach can be safely driven.

Bendix Automatic Slack Adjuster - SlackAdjust-Chk.pdf

• Like 1

If your slack adjusters have not been greased at regular intervals they could be not adjusting. Have someone go under there and mark them with chalk and then apply the brakes. Easy to see the push rod travel. Inspectors do this all the time.

The other thing to think about is that our Moho are 25000-40000 lbs and only operating on four brakes the same as your car at 4-6000 lbs. Braking dynamics are not equal cars to Moho so defensive driving is a requirement for our units this includes the use use of engine brakes  mechanical fitness and speed control. Just my thoughts and experience with large units they are not the same as your daily driver

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:53 PM, cbr046 said:

03 Endeavor same issue.  I had a shop check them out and one had a leaky wheel seal.  Seal, shoes and drums replaced and not much different.

Be sure to use your engine brake with your foot brake.

- bob

Got home from the weekend trip + a trip to dump tanks with two hard stops.  Braking *IS* improved and noticed no ABS beeping.  Maybe the new shoes / drums had to bed in a bit, or maybe the shop greased the slack adjusters . . . or both

- bob