Air horn solenoid location

Go to solution Solved by Fasthobie16,

2000 Dynasty 40’. 
I have power to the 12v horn relay in the front run panel. I can feel it click when the horn button is pressed on the steering wheel. Air pressure is up. There’s no air at the horn on the roof. I’m thinking that the air solenoid is not working but pretty sure there’s power getting to it. Anyone know where it is located? Horns were working in the last month. Thanks for all the help. Jim 

James, thanks for your reply.

So when you were replacing the TV, did  you  dismantle the box ( cabinet) that it sat in to discover  the solenoid? 

I was removing the old analog TV mounted in the overhead center cabinet.  This exposed the front cap and the solenoid was behind the audio equipment cabinet above the driver.  From memory there was yellow tubing going to/from the air solenoid. 

• Solution

Thanks guys. It’s not in the cabinet area above the windshield. Found a “ T “ fitting with the supply line from the solenoid and split to two horns there . The air line looks like it runs down the windshield post on the driver’s side. Don’t know where yet. I’m having fun looking 🤨. It’s also not in the front run panel either.  Did not see anything looking up from the ground on the left front forward end around the drivers side. Keep  the ideas coming. I’m appreciative of them. Your help will get me there. 

Posted (edited)

Nope, not in console.  No air line there. 
So today I checked the output to the horn solenoid from the horn relay terminal  when activating the horn button. 12.6vdc. Unplugged the wire from solenoid to horn. Measured ohms to ground on it. Had 1.4 so there’s a coil on the air solenoid that isn’t burned out. With plenty of air in the system, I ran a jumper wire to the sol. wire bypassing the relay sending 12vdc positive straight to the solenoid. Still no horn.  Maybe a stuck solenoid. Still looking for the elusive solenoid.  FWI I had to change a blown fuse about five months ago on the horn.  Leading me to believe I’m going to be replacing that solenoid valve. 

Edited by Fasthobie16
Added value.

Can you use a Fox & Hound and trace/follow the wire from the relay and maybe get a general direction.

I checked the air schematic for a 96-99 Monaco and it shows the tubing going to the air horn as Blue so you may try and trace either a yellow or blue 1/4" tubing to the front.   

Not yet. Will try to trace power wire to solenoid with my toner. May be hard because the signal bleeds to other wires in the bundle. Just have to listen for the strongest one. I’ll let y’all know if I find it. In the meantime, if anyone wants to chime in, please do. 

I just remembered. The solenoid coil is grounded to chassis. Since coil has continuity to ground, I won’t be able to send a signal on the wire to it. 😩 So the search goes on. 

Yeah, I thought that too. Will try but my toner is old like me and weak. It did work to find a burned out neutral  under the floor in an overhead cabinet factory connection a few years ago. ( Why they hid a connection   I don’t know. Guess NEC doesn’t apply. ) Installed a junction box that was accessible in the cabinet to fix it.