How to get circuit boards in the front run bay of an 08 Dynasty - (Pre Kongsberg CCM system)

I am purchasing 2008 Monaco Dynasty.  Front left bay holds electrical connections, with some circuit cards.  How hard is it to source or repair these if needed?  I am comfortable with interior network items (Intellitec system).  Not so certain on electronic stuff in front bay.  I am very capable, I can do board level repairs, but curious if available for purchase. 

Circuit boards are basically only available from salvage yards.  There is nothing really special about these boards.  Individual components and relays are available from electronic supply houses.  Circuit diagrams are available in our Downloads under wiring diagrams.  Since you are capable of doing circuit board repair, you should be just fine.

• Like 1

Kongsberg started with 2008 Signature and mid 2008 Dynasty.  These systems will only have one large circuit board.  Since OP mentioned boards, he would have a conventional system.

16 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Which models have the Kongsberg Chassis setup? 

First, lets set the record straight.  You are “mixing” things and its better for those reading this to understand the whole story.  There is, I think, a file or two that goes into detail.

Circa 2005 or so, Monaco “updated” ALL DYNASTY and above to TWO DIFFERENT “Intellitec” systems.

The first….and which Frank alluded to, as well as the OP’s question is in the Front and Rear RUN BAYS.  Don’t hold me to the numbers, someone needs to count….and it IS on the drawings,  There are about 13 or so Front RUN Bay boards.  There are about 8 or so Rear RUN bay boards.  These are the BOARDS IN QUESTION.

@Frank McElroy and @pwhittle are members that can, at a much lower “tip”, analyze and replace chips and reprogram these.  In some cases, they also can “fix” a board that has a shorted out (OPEN) copper trace or the strips on the bottom.  There is one other source, but their prices and credibility and quality has been called into question by some members as well as field techs who diagnose and isolate a board and ship it to them.  We are FORTUNATE to have this resource here.

Continuing…..the “upgrade” circa 2005/6 was “sporadic” at best.  We have owners of 2005 Executives that have the ORIGINAL, Non Intellitec MH as wells as owners that DO.  Supposedly, the higher ends were done first…then down the food chain. The RULE of thumb was that the Dynasty was a 2006 upgrade. BUT Monaco published TWO different manuals in 2005 for them.  BOTTOM LINE…we have to ASK or have a member post pictures of the Front or Rear to determine which system….and, unfortunately, many responses or advice from the NON Intellitec owners is given to Intellitec owners…. Then the member with the problem is totally confused and frustrated as the component or circuit or whatever they are told to find….AIN’T IN THEIR MH.

Moving along.  The INTERIOR Intellitec Multiplexed Lighting and lighted key pads and Central Processing Unit and the “output modules” were also included….

The circuit boards in question here are NOT MULTIPLEXED….they are funky with all sorts of lights and test buttons and such….but they send out conventional Analog  (12 VDC signals).  OK….take a deep breath…..it gets WORSE.

NOW…. You mentioned the infamous KONGSBERG CCM (Chassis Control Modules)that  are in the FRONT RUN BAY.  That eliminates the Intellitec boards….which is the issue.  HOWVER..all but ONE of the Rear Intellitec Boards was also replaced.  It is MY UNDERSTANDING, that only the #6 Intellitec Board in the REAR RUN bay was a “HOLDOVER” in the NEW (and improved?) CCM System.  That, BTW, runs or controls the BIRD charging system and Boost and such…

NOW….again, the inconsistency of Monaco comes out.  SOME of the Dynasty in 2008, had a K’B CCM….a rare few….but out there.  Supposedly, the SIG’s in 2008 WERE CCM.  NOT ALWAYS TRUE.  BUT, supposedly….all as in EVERY ONE of the 2009 models was CCM.  Now….is this in concrete?  NOPE.  Sometimes an older model with “fall out” or be in a transition year and get “a next year model number”.  So, we always ASK for photos to verify folk’s issues before we delve in….and hope that other contributing members understand the nuances …but unfortunately, many folks spend time hunting for something that is NOT on their MH, due to an inaccurate post.

Sorry for the length….but sometimes a simple question has to be answered with “IT DEPENDS”…..Frank just posted with a comment….mine matches his and I just went into more detail and background….as this post can be used for information….

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2005/6 Dynasty and UP…WITH Front and Rear Intellitec Boards…NOT Kongsberg CCM discussion. How hard to get circuit cards
54 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

First, lets set the record straight.  You are “mixing” things and its better for those reading this to understand the whole story.  There is, I think, a file or two that goes into detail.

Circa 2005 or so, Monaco “updated” ALL DYNASTY and above to TWO DIFFERENT “Intellitec” systems.

The first….and which Frank alluded to, as well as the OP’s question is in the Front and Rear RUN BAYS.  Don’t hold me to the numbers, someone needs to count….and it IS on the drawings,  There are about 13 or so Front RUN Bay boards.  There are about 8 or so Rear RUN bay boards.  These are the BOARDS IN QUESTION.

@Frank McElroy and @pwhittle are members that can, at a much lower “tip”, analyze and replace chips and reprogram these.  In some cases, they also can “fix” a board that has a shorted out (OPEN) copper trace or the strips on the bottom.  There is one other source, but their prices and credibility and quality has been called into question by some members as well as field techs who diagnose and isolate a board and ship it to them.  We are FORTUNATE to have this resource here.

Continuing…..the “upgrade” circa 2005/6 was “sporadic” at best.  We have owners of 2005 Executives that have the ORIGINAL, Non Intellitec MH as wells as owners that DO.  Supposedly, the higher ends were done first…then down the food chain. The RULE of thumb was that the Dynasty was a 2006 upgrade. BUT Monaco published TWO different manuals in 2005 for them.  BOTTOM LINE…we have to ASK or have a member post pictures of the Front or Rear to determine which system….and, unfortunately, many responses or advice from the NON Intellitec owners is given to Intellitec owners…. Then the member with the problem is totally confused and frustrated as the component or circuit or whatever they are told to find….AIN’T IN THEIR MH.

Moving along.  The INTERIOR Intellitec Multiplexed Lighting and lighted key pads and Central Processing Unit and the “output modules” were also included….

The circuit boards in question here are NOT MULTIPLEXED….they are funky with all sorts of lights and test buttons and such….but they send out conventional Analog  (12 VDC signals).  OK….take a deep breath…..it gets WORSE.

NOW…. You mentioned the infamous KONGSBERG CCM (Chassis Control Modules)that  are in the FRONT RUN BAY.  That eliminates the Intellitec boards….which is the issue.  HOWVER..all but ONE of the Rear Intellitec Boards was also replaced.  It is MY UNDERSTANDING, that only the #6 Intellitec Board in the REAR RUN bay was a “HOLDOVER” in the NEW (and improved?) CCM System.  That, BTW, runs or controls the BIRD charging system and Boost and such…

NOW….again, the inconsistency of Monaco comes out.  SOME of the Dynasty in 2008, had a K’B CCM….a rare few….but out there.  Supposedly, the SIG’s in 2008 WERE CCM.  NOT ALWAYS TRUE.  BUT, supposedly….all as in EVERY ONE of the 2009 models was CCM.  Now….is this in concrete?  NOPE.  Sometimes an older model with “fall out” or be in a transition year and get “a next year model number”.  So, we always ASK for photos to verify folk’s issues before we delve in….and hope that other contributing members understand the nuances …but unfortunately, many folks spend time hunting for something that is NOT on their MH, due to an inaccurate post.

Sorry for the length….but sometimes a simple question has to be answered with “IT DEPENDS”…..Frank just posted with a comment….mine matches his and I just went into more detail and background….as this post can be used for information….

Perfect, I would freak if made my mind on a coach only to find out I had a potential brick in my electrical 

My 2008 Monico Dynasty Yorkshire is RoadMaster RR10S Chassis, nothing I see says anything about "KONGSBERG"

Yes, I am not seeing any networking items in front left bay (all networking circuits appear to be up in the coach.  Maybe a J1939 in there somewhere, but not obvious if it is.  Agreed, should be mostly analog Volts, Amps, Relays, in this area.  Some mention "junkyards".  I will search for good ones on Monacoers.  Any suggestions for best junkyards for electrical stuff?

This article is worth a thousand words.  It has all the info including pictures that you need to distinguish between a conventional and Kongsberg system.

Today these once obsolete dash switch modules used in the Kongsberg system can now be repaired.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Frank McElroy said:

This article is worth a thousand words.  It has all the info including pictures that you need to distinguish between a conventional and Kongsberg system.

Today these once obsolete dash switch modules used in the Kongsberg system can now be repaired.

Thanks very much 

17 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

New to this group.

I see a follow on poster changed the name to my post.  Why would that be a good thing, as I am seeking information on a specific topic, now it is totally removed from my topic and of no value. 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to How to get circuit boards in the front run bay of an 08 Dynasty - (Pre Kongsberg CCM system)
9 hours ago, Kevinwald said:

New to this group.

I see a follow on poster changed the name to my post.  Why would that be a good thing, as I am seeking information on a specific topic, now it is totally removed from my topic and of no value. 

Kevin,

The title was changed as many folks were asking questions and thinking or wondering about Kongsberg.  The title change was preemptive to keep it focused

However, it has been edited back to the original title with a tag line regarding CCM. 

We have numerous issues with folks NOT fully understanding specifically what you were talking about and then wandering off track.  Frank very succinctly answered your question. Since he does not “promote” what he and Paul Whittle do, we often provide more information….sometimes for the OP and sometimes for the group following it so thy will learn as well. Frank also posted an explanation to provide clarity.

In one of your subsequent posts, you commented on finding boards.  These boards are rare and becoming rarer. The #6 board in the Rear Run controls the BIRD (BiDirectional) charging system.  That board, since it is in use while driving or in storage, with power, is, I think, the most common failure. Frank and Paul repair these boards all the time.  FWIW, going deeper, the #6 board is not a “just pop in a new chip”. After the chip is installed, it has to be reprogrammed and both Frank and Paul have the ability as well as the “setup” and the software to do that.  

Your call on buying boards…but be aware, the boards you buy probably have not been tested as very few folks can do that…  Again, we have the two best resources, in my opinion, to repair ANY of the boards, in the country here.  Your call on spares or such, but unless you arrange for a testing and return, you might be buying something defective…

We, the moderators, will have members post a problem and go down the wrong path….as in “maybe a Kongsberg”.  That was, to us, evident.  However, the first question asked was “Kongsberg”, so this post offered a “teaching” opportunity so more folks would be knowledgeable.

That’s it.  This is often done.  Typically, when a 2009 unit has issues, the title is edited to call out the K’B CCM.

We also prefer a member’s signature include a CCM tag line so we know instantly if his year, which did include some 2008’s,  was a CCM.

That’s the logic….Sorry if it was confusing….you now, along with others, have a little more “Monaco” background….

Welcome aboard

When ppl post a problem /about/with a CB,  circuit board, as the primary suspect , simply post a picture of YOUR FRB, Front Run Bay, and YOUR RRB, Rear Run Bay. That may could/ should help to reduce the confusion.  

Coach information in your signature area sure does help too.

Thank you all for the information. I must say, I am really impressed with the response and technical info available on the Monacoers.  I do not take delivery of my Yorkshire until next Friday, but I am the type to already have read much in the details of the design, service.  

I am an Aerospace Engineer from the University of Minnesota.  Early life worked in Military stuff.  Three decades now on mobile equipment, where my company of 300 employees designs, prototypes, builds and the production of many types of equipment.  I do not program much any more, but have a few million lines of code under my fingers.  Most our designs are diesel powered, IFM controls, custom J1939 code.  Www.SpecSys.com

i also own a company the does board level repair for the Silicon Valley types.  Handled several million electronic units since 2007. We have moved into wire harness production now.
 Www.RVI-Inc.com.  Just trying to give some background. 

I suspect I will start to acquire backup electronics for my unit, as the electronics seems to be the key issue on these older Monaco RV’s.  Does anyone sit on an inventory of electronics, Intellitec or other?  I see some of my items on EBay. Yep, I understand how to test “pre used”.  Seems like a small entrepreneur could make a nice profit supporting the install base old Monaco’s by keeping inventory on hand.  

I hope in the future, I can return the favor to this group and help with tech info. 

• Like 3