Want to replace Flooring. No idea whats involved or what to install. Help and explanation and advice is needed.

I will replace some of the flooring in this Diplomat as i do not like what is in it now. The problem is, i stink at anything home decorating ideas and guessing i stink equally as bad at rv ideas as well. Is there a post on flooring where lots of people had posted pics of the flooring they put in? Don't need the particulars of installation or floor type, just need some ideas of what color tones work and/or designs. If you have redone your floor and have a second, please post a snapshot of the end product. Thanks

I like that color. How does the piece connecting it to the tile holding up? This has some ugly brass or gold colored trim on the floor now and on the molding for the entry stair case. That alone makes me want to change the flooring. 

2 minutes ago, dereeves said:

I like that color. How does the piece connecting it to the tile holding up? This has some ugly brass or gold colored trim on the floor now and on the molding for the entry stair case. That alone makes me want to change the flooring. 

2 minutes ago, dereeves said:

3 minutes ago, dereeves said:

The transition to the tile, I used clamshell molding like you would use on doorways. Bare wood stained close to what color the floor is. 

All seems to work well not a trip hazard.

The entry way was a chore lots of cutting and piecing. I added the the lights on the stairwell.  

Yeah the transition...couldn't think of the name of it. Yeah i like that color, it blends well with everything. Looking at the stairs, i can see how it will be a little work. I have already bought the lights for that that will install flush into whatever flooring i use as long as it is 1/4" thick. I noticed your dinette is in the slide? Totally opposite of my 2000 Diplo. The kitchen and couch is in my slide. How long ago did you redo the floor?  If within the last couple of years, do you by chance have the stock numbers from Home Depot? 

Looking at your pics...i wonder if i have floor vents under the flooring. Only exposed floor vents i have is one in bedroom at the doorway, one under the passenger side of dash facing into the coach and one blowing out of a side vent at the floor under the fridge. That vent blows right into the side of the dinette table wall cabinet. I guess i will find out when i take the old flooring out.

Bought Pergo LVP from Lowes along with trim pieces.  The stocked the tile to floor trim but no the corner molding for stairs, slide, and engine hatch edges, had to order and it was $$$$.  But it looks good and the color match is pretty good. 

Time will tell how long the transition pieces last, it is a 2 piece system.  Attach one piece to the floor and then snap lock the other in place.  I broke several pieces as hard to get it to snap and lock.  Learned that the piece you attach to the floor has to be very straight.  and once the top piece is snapped in place almost impossible to get off without breaking.

Floor front almost done.jpg

Floor Step light lite.jpg

Floor Stair trim from above.jpg

Floor Bedroom bed box.jpg

Floor transition pieces.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dereeves said:

Yeah the transition...couldn't think of the name of it. Yeah i like that color, it blends well with everything. Looking at the stairs, i can see how it will be a little work. I have already bought the lights for that that will install flush into whatever flooring i use as long as it is 1/4" thick. I noticed your dinette is in the slide? Totally opposite of my 2000 Diplo. The kitchen and couch is in my slide. How long ago did you redo the floor?  If within the last couple of years, do you by chance have the stock numbers from Home Depot? 

Looking at your pics...i wonder if i have floor vents under the flooring. Only exposed floor vents i have is one in bedroom at the doorway, one under the passenger side of dash facing into the coach and one blowing out of a side vent at the floor under the fridge. That vent blows right into the side of the dinette table wall cabinet. I guess i will find out when i take the old flooring out.

Here is a pic of the end panel from the carton. This stuff has a foam backing so no need of an additional backing and is kind of soft under foot Lifetime warranty and waterproof.

IMG_2694[1].JPG

When my guy started installing the LVT, he started going side to side.  I mentioned, most pictures I've seen of installs the tiles are laid front to back.  He said, I'll do it any way you want, but it makes more sense to me to have them side to side.  I went with his recommendation.  I've had no issues and it looks great.  I still don't know if the tiles should have been laid front to back... would have been fewer tiles to cut though.

IMG_1838.jpg

Edited by bklaes

32 minutes ago, bklaes said:

When my guy started installing the LVT, he started going side to side.  I mentioned, most pictures I've seen of installs the tiles are laid front to back.  He said, I'll do it any way you want, but it makes more sense to me to have them side to side.  I went with his recommendation.  I've had no issues and it looks great.  I still don't know if the tiles should have been laid front to back... would have been fewer tiles to cut though.

IMG_1838.jpg

I don't think it matters either way. Most installs will follow the main shape of the room, which in our case is a rectangle so they tend to go with the length. What is the carpet by the couch? 

12 minutes ago, dereeves said:

What is the carpet by the couch? 

The rug was purchased from runrug.com and then cut to fit.  Running the slide in and out tore the trim binding off the rug.  It was not cheap, and just recently replaced. 

18 hours ago, dereeves said:

I used the original trim pieces around the top of the stairs the trim at the very top where it connects to the tile was to only be temporary but looks good and is holding up well. The black trim with the green stripe on the stairs is non skid tape I sourced at Amazon, The green stripe is reflective did not want to re use the black step covers wife thought it looked too much like a bus entry

• Like 1

The guru for flooring is Ernie Ekberg.

Join his group and you can see pictures of coaches he has done. He is very forthcoming in answering any questions you have.

https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring/photos

Per Ernie, glued down, engineered hardwood flooring is the way to go.

I replaced all of my carpeting with hand scraped engineered hardwood flooring. With the hand scraped, you can easily repair any nicks, etc. and it blends in. We glued the flooring down. One thing I learned in doing this is that because of the confined space, it is much easier to back butter each piece rather than spread the glue across the floor.

• Like 1

When I first considered flooring I picked up a bunch of samples from Lowes and showed them to my wife. 

The firsts ones she discarded were the ones that were heavily textured.  She travels with dogs (lots of dogs) and the texturing would hold dirt and water after walking dogs during a rain. 

The next thing was the joints.  Some of the samples had a groove/space at the joint, another place for dirt.  So this eliminated a large number of samples

Lowes had one style that was smooth with no joint and provided a natural look. 

I laid this in 2021 and it seems to be holding up pretty good but time will tell.  I did not use any type of adhesive, it is a floating floor.  I know the recommendation is to allow for ~1/4 expansion joint around the perimeter but I made it tight side to side.  This is only a ~8' distance so I feel the expansion is minimal and having a tight fit keeps it positioned.  I did allow a space between the tile and the laminate front to back, which was covered by the transition piece. 

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a local flooring co redo the floor in my 2004 Cheetah.

ll was ok until the roadside slide was activated.  There were multiple scratches on the new flooring.  Seems screws etc were causing the issue along the length of the couch.  For the time being I have taped 1/8" plastic sheet on the floor to prevent further gouging, but how to get to whatever under the couch?

I read on iRV2 a number of folks had experienced similar issues but short of lifting the entire slide up [how] and remove offending screws etc/add 'fabric' to the underside  I didn't see any simple method.

Anyone had this experience and found a solution?

Les

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Want to replace Flooring. No idea whats involved or what to install. Help and explanation and advice is needed.

Thanks Tom Thanks Jim...........  to my knowledge installer did not remove couch since the new floor stops under the couch where the plasticised support starts...........  sorry ca't be more precise, but I'm sure the couch will have to come off now.

L