Need recommendation and info on a hydraulic cable crimper brand and/or specifics. Thanks for all input.

2 hours ago, bmulvenna@hotmail.com said:

Sorry I did not do a search before posting this. Found what I needed by searching for crimper 

I am considering purchaseing a hydraulic cable crimper that will crimp up to 4/0 cable.

Any thoughts on brand ot type, die or dieless. 

Thanks for any suggestions

This is what I recently bought on Amazon to make new cables for my house batteries. I only used it once to test it so far, but I like what it did. The picture is a double crimp on 4/0 cable.

IMG_4957.jpeg

IMG_4962.jpeg

• Like 1

There are actually TWO versions of crimpers on Amazon.  ONE is a full sized unit….it will work on #16 wires.  The other is for “big stuff” like what we typically have with #9 through 4/0 cables & BIGGER!. You can do #10 with a nIce hand held RATCHETING crimper.  Thats a whole lot MORE hand strength for anything larger.

There is a chart that gives you the MM of the dies and usually the wire size. You select the wire size.  Cut off the cable….carefully cut off the insulation.  Then do a little tiding up to get all the itty bitty wires stuffed into the terminal….sometimes you trim off a few.  You close the dies until the edges are mating…as in….the die set has NO Crack or opening between the halves.  Done.

Mine is 8 years old. Amazon dropped it.  This one has over 2000 ratings.  I use that as my buying guide.  If I were an electrician or ran a welding supply shop, I’d buy a name brand…say Klein,  I’d spend maybe 5 to 8 times as much.  Don’t need that PRO level for what I do.  I find the higher rated Amazon “stuff” to be more reliable and better made than “Harbor Freight”.  NOT always the case….but for this particular tool, I followed the advice given off line and bought the highest rated crimper in that price range.

Northern Tool may have them.

IMG_1241.png

I recently had the need to clean and paint my battery trays and replace my dead chassis battery.  I used Tom Cherry suggestion and got the Hyclat hydraulic crimper on Amazon.  The crimper worked great just like advertised. 

Thank you Tom!

Installing a new Victron inverter and associated accessories that require new cables.

I purchased a hydraulic crimper, cables, lugs, and shrink wrap from Amazon and it works great on  the new  cables I had to make.

Thanks all for your input.

AMZCNC Hydraulic Wire Crimper... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y5ZJTZ3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Need recommendation and info on a hydraulic cable crimper brand and/or specifics. Thanks for all input.