1999 Monaco Dynasty 36' Baron

Looking at purchasing a non-slide 36' Baron from a gent 4 hours away. It would appear to be in overall excellent condition based on several videos and multiple pictures he sent. Regardless of the façade of pictures, are there any obvious and/or known issues with this unit? I believe with it being a non-slider there's a better chance things will break less. Still has the great 8.3 ISC Cummins despite only be 36'. I just wonder about the rest of the coach.

• Like 1

This is a desirable coach for people who like to get into smaller state/national campgrounds.  It has a great history and if taken care of can last a long time and run for hundereds of thousands of miles.  But Maintenance is the key, see if there are records of oil changes and services.  Chassis lubrication and inspection is important, some reports of the rear axle supports cracking and failing on the Roadmaster chassis.  I found a hairline crack on my passenger side last year and had it welded, some shops add gussets.  Check tire DOT date codes, 7 year age is rule of thumb.

In 1998 Cummins ISC started using the CAPS injection pump you would have to be concerned about the lift pump failure/leak, which if left unchecked could cause a problem with the CAPS injection pump. 

So if you have a CAPS injection check the lift pump.  It is mounted on passenger side toward the transmission, you can see it through the bedroom engine hatch.  There are 3 bolt heads on top that can be tightened as a short term fix if it is leaking.  Long term if transfer pump leaks while running `30 seconds prior to starting engine chances are it is pulling air into the fuel system while engine is running.  Long term it will cause the CAPS pump to fail.

Here's a site with pictures of the CAPS injection pump.  Best place to see it is from bedroom engine hatch looking toward pulley end of motor.  If you see a wiring harness with 3 connectors you have the CAPS injection pump. 

My transfer pump started leaking in 2020.  I fixed it temporarily by tightening the 3 bolts on top.  Long Term I installed a FASS transfer pump and bypassed the lift pump. 

• Like 3

I lost my CAPS pump in 2019 and my lift pump wasn't even leaking. I added the FASS pump/filters afterwards. I had meant to do it before it happed but was too late.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That sure looks like a C8.3 used up to 1998.5, after 1998.5 it became the ISC that had a flat valve cover without those notches.  The ISC has a rotary injection pump that's harder to "decipher", the C8.3 uses a large inline injection pump with the six injector lines obvious in a row off the top.  The hp will give it away also, C8.3 will be 325, maybe 300hp in that era, the ISC will be 330 or more. 

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/visual-difference-between-c-and-isc-8-3-a-153329-2.html

On second thought, that link is not all that helpful, the pics show a later common rail ISC, not the CAPS pump that would be on a 99.  Search "cummins c8.3 vs isc valve cover" to see the difference.

Edited by Benjamin
  • Like 1

Anyone know where I could find the 1999 Dynasty brochure? I think the model being sold is actually a 34' Baron II FD based on a few thinks such as the hanging tv in bedroom and smallest kitchen. Want to confirm a few things and cannot locate any brochures from 1999 at all, let alone the dynasty one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2024 at 9:13 AM, Roadkillz said:

Anyone know where I could find the 1999 Dynasty brochure? I think the model being sold is actually a 34' Baron II FD based on a few thinks such as the hanging tv in bedroom and smallest kitchen. Want to confirm a few things and cannot locate any brochures from 1999 at all, let alone the dynasty one.

34' are even more desirable in my experience.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:13 AM, Roadkillz said:

I have the 1997 Dynasty brochure, what would you like, the floorplans?

1 hour ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

I just so happen to have it right beside me.  😀 

Here you go.

1997MonacoDynastyFlyer.pdf 35.46 MB · 1 download

@Frank McElroy  I think this would be a good addition to the files.  The HR & Monaco start at 2000.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 2

On any purchase, do a fluid analysis: oil, coolant, transmission. Caterpillar dealers have an inexpensive kit. Ideally the seller has been doing this and has a history.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:13 AM, Roadkillz said:

Here you go, hope it helps

1999 Dynasty Brochure.pdf

• Like 1