I need to move the passenger side Velvac mirror in to clear a rain gutter....it don't move... I completely removed both the set screws, sprayed WD-40 all around the top and into both set screw holes, and hammered on it a few times with a dead blow hammer, nothing. I sprayed it all again and let it set overnight, re-sprayed it again in the morning and nothing, won't budge. 

Any ideas?

Take the cover off the bottom of the support.  Loosen the bolt a few turns and then use a block and hammer to hit upwards.  The mount is tapered and it helps to break it loose from the bottom.  Use the PB blaster as Richard mentioned.

• Like 1

I sprayed a couple more times with the PB...and that bottom cover won't come off. I will end up having to drill it off like i did the two little caps. When i was looking at the parts break down at Velvac, i didn't see any bolt at the bottom like this and got the impression that was like an access hole for the wiring. But something seems to be holding it so i will look at it. The parts diagram i was looking at was for like 3 different models which the 2030 i think it was looked like these.

• Like 1

Well drilled that cap, it popped right off. There is a bolt there and it was the problem. Loosed it, tapped up and now it moves freely just as Larry Laursen said! Thanks to both of you, i will buy some more of the PB silicone as it does seem to work better on this stuff then the WD40.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Don't get Acetone around any painted surfaces unless you plan to repaint them later.

Yeah...don't use acetone to clean the gauges on your 60 gallon air compressor...then you get to buy a new manifold as you can no longer read the gauges, cheap plastic crap.

Edited by dereeves

YES….BE CAREFUL WITH ACETONE…

BUT…. Understand that it can be a very valuable tool around a motor home. 

NEVER POUR IT OUT ON ANY SURFACE….Volatilizes & will attack  surfaces….  Used sparingly and correctly, it is also useful for.

Activating as well as removing the final adhesive residue from gaskets or seals that need to be reattached. Same got the mating surface where the gasket is to be reapplied.  3M makes, or did an activator for getting a good bond for decals or custom pinstripping.

Cleaning off the surfaces of PVC piping that will be repaired by JB Weld or other types of solvent based or epoxy glues.

Same if you have, as many have, to repair, almost permanently, a “hose”…like a non pressurized air intake hose.  Mine had some abrasion as well as a split in the seam around the reinforcing wire.

If you install Guardian Plates, then acetone is needed to clean up after applying the 3M 5200 MARINE/RV ADHESIVE. You CAN use it to remove the overlap adhesive on the SS plates….as well, as on a cloth, the excess adhesive on the sidewalls of the slides  My wife, using an old T shirt, did an excellent job.  No matter how carefully you apply and, as Chris (Throgmartin) cautioned….don’t smear it on like PNB.

I guess I was “emotionally damaged” during the summer I worked in a fiberglass boat factory.  I mixed resin and hardener and did touch up work or attached braces and brackets and god know what….at least 5 times a day.  We “washed” our hands….there was no “disposable latex gloves”.  Funny thing, the little pricks or nicks that made cuts on our hands..healed quickly.  No one ever had an infection…

YES…It will eat off pad printed labels.  We pad printed screwdrivers and tape measures and god knows what else….when I was Manufacturing Services Manager in a large tool factory.  When the operator got a screwdriver handle “cockeyed” in the fixture and the label was crooked…a single swipe and it was clean and then pad printed again.

If you use common sense and understand the surfaces….it is a very versatile cleaner.  I watched an experienced pro detailer remove dried and parched line resin from a custom paint job. He used alcohol pads….but the last residue would not release. I small dab on the prep pad was enough to loosen the residue…and the paint was not destroyed or marred.  Now he never poured it directly on the paint…never poor rubbing alcohol on paint…just like the high potency “GOOB BE GONE”.

Want to ruin a plastic.  Spray down with Off..DEEP WOODS….and rub it in….then pick up you phone.  You can always identify it if stolen as your fingerprints will be permanently etched in the case.

Just my opinion.  I usually buy one pint maybe every 5 years….just use carefully and very sparingly. Same rule..if you have a “finished” surface…then find a hidden spot and test.

FWIW.  Ever watch the CERRAKOTE Magic Headight cleaner commercials.  Notice the “brown” haze on the cloth they brag about.  You can duplicate with Deet or OFF…way more volatile and will “melt” or soften plastic way MORE aggressively than ACETONE….

• Like 1