Loose Drivers side mirror on 2002 Signature

My friend has a 2002 Sig that the driver side fastener at top of mirror have losses and will not retighten. I suggested he remove mirror and build up behind fiberglass shell with JBWeld or similar product. Any other ideas that resolve this issue?

Pat Coleman
2000 Diplomat
2014 Honda CRV

Thanks, Bob. Hopefully this will solve the problem

Hi Pat:

Are you referring to one of the screws that holds the mirror onto the front cap?  If so, I've had several of them come loose over the years and I've replaced them with deck screws with a larger thread.   I did have to grind off the head a bit to get them to fit into the recess in the mirror mount.  Not a really big job.

Dwight

Dwight, yes I am referring to. the screws that hold mirror to front cap. We tried larger diameter screw and those did not hold.

bopper, Interesting solution. Friend will have to get under dash and see what is there to support the washer and nuts. I like that solution if there is enough material on his coach to do so..

Guest Tim503

The backing for these are about 1/2 inch if the mirror was mounted into the backing board. You should be able to see how they mounted stuff looking in the generator compartment or looking at the back cap. The way they attached my headlamps was pretty much baling wire. You could also use the toothpick trick or similar wood filler if you didn't want to glue it. Put a little glue on the wood filler to hold it and use the original screws.

I'd like to thank all of you that responded to this issue. Think we'll try the nuts and bolts. That is if I can climb this 80 year old body under the dash. 

• Like 1

This brings up a lesson I learned. Used to use wooden match sticks or tooth picks along with glue to fill elongated holes. Someone taught me to use bamboo food skewers. Break off what you need and fill the hole along with a good wood glue.  Works much better. Bamboo is a hard wood and very strong.

I use this trick on my cabinet door hinges along with longer screws. Works well.

Edited by hanggiloren
add more
  • Like 1

Great comment about using bamboo skewers. Going to put some in my tool box. Thank you.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Update on fixing drivers side mirror on 2002 Sig. Using a long drill bit we tried to find the location where bolt would come thru the front cap and/or under dash. We never did see the end of drill bit. Thanks to suggestion we used bamboo skewers in all 4 mount holes and the mirror is now very secure. Thank you hanggiloren for the tip.

Pat C