Pyrometer Installation. Exhaust monitoring questions.

I want to install a pyrometer on my 06 Executive out of caution, however I'm concerned about drilling into the exhaust manifold and having shavings get into and damage the turbo fins. I just watched a video of a guy installing one by clamping the probe to the outside of the exhaust manifold near the turbo instead of drilling a hole. He claimed he has done several this way and the result is close to the drilled and inserted method. If true, that is a great way to do it with no worries of damaging the fins. Has anyone heard of or done it this way?

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=77a733bd90371e5eJmltdHM9MTcxODE1MDQwMCZpZ3VpZD0xZjYzOGQ0MC1jZjA1LTYxMmEtMjU2NS05ZTNjY2U1YTYwZjQmaW5zaWQ9NTIwMg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=1f638d40-cf05-612a-2565-9e3cce5a60f4&psq=How+to+install+a+pyrometer+in+a+Cummins+ISX+engine&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1sVWVZc1FZMHlrTQ&ntb=1 

Start by marking where the probe will be. Start to drill until you can see a little mark. Then coat the drill bit with grease and start the engine. The grease will trap most of the shavings and having the engine running will push the shavings outwards. 

The perfect place for the probe is prior to the turbo. However, there is already a probe there that, I assume, tells the EGR valve when to open if the EGT temp gets over 1350 degrees. That's where the ECM picks up the signal and from what I've found so far, I can't find a gauge that will pick up that signal on an 06 ISM engine. I'm not agile enough to twist around and drill into the exhaust manifold that I can barely see from above and looks just as hard from below. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion this whole attempt is more than this 81-year-old body wants to tackle. 🙄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

No, I do not know for sure. I'm assuming that is the area that would determine when the EGR should open when over 1350 degrees. The wire comes to a wire harness connector next to the air intake tube. I'm guessing that it goes to the ECM.

Edited by Venturer

Posted (edited)

My concern is that if I unplug it, will it throw a code? Even though the UF is telling the ECM it is above 7,000', the connection is still there.   

Edited by Venturer

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Pyrometer Installation. Exhaust monitoring questions.