Seat belt will not retract - driver’s seat

2008 Dynasty has great leather driver and co-Pilot seats. On the driver’s side, the seat belt will not retract. As far as I can tell, the seats do not allow access to the seat belt retraction mechanism. Have any of you experienced this? 

This might sound funny but try pulling the seatbelt all of the way out and clean it using a microfiber towel and windex. I do this on my cars also and they pull in and out much easier.

Also make sure the belt is not twisted by pulling it out all the way and flipping one way or other to feel a difference. Our passenger side belt does it sometimes, i guide mine into the spool carefully so it doesn happen. My passenger is not always that patient. If the spring is broken, there's only one way to fix it...

• Haha 1

I sure you have checked this, but sometimes the belt gets flipped over, up by the seat slot. This will happen when the seat belt is put on and in use, and not noticed by the driver. Then as belt spools in, the flip portion bunches up. When this happens it tends to jam and it takes some strong pulling to get it out. Once all the way out and released,  retract as normal.  

You might have already checked this by extending the seat belt all the way out. If not pull it all the way out. It sure would be nice if it were a simple fix like this.

Edit: Ivan, we think alike.

Edited by Happycarz
Added

The springs get weak after about 15 years.

Cleaning sometimes helps.

There is a lock reverse caul that can get ‘gummed up’ and sticks in the lock position.

They can be replaced inexpensively online - you unbolt and ship them the whole mechanism.  
They clean, lubricate, replace the spring, and replace the webbing with your choice of fabulous colors.

Note: you will be *very* unhappy if you try and disassemble them yourself. 10’ of “never-ever-ever-going-back-in-correctly” spring

• Like 1
  • Haha 1