2006 HR Scepter-Burning smell after about 1 hr driving

Hello Group!  I've been chasing a burning smell coming from the rear of our 2006 HR Scepter DP with a Cummins ISL400.  After replacing all the belts, adding vents to the rear doors with electric fans to get engine heat out I still have a burning smell after about and hour driving.  Pull over to check the engine bay and no smell there, everything seems normal.  Removed and insulated the hatches in the bedroom & closet and put in new gaskets, problem is much better now...but still there.  On my last trip it occurred to me that the problem is the heat from the engine breaking down the original carpeting on the raised area in the closet and next to the bed.  I have not replaced it yet, looking for the best heat rated options and have not yet found a flooring that is rated to handle this kind of heat.  I am considering porcelain tile (but it wont match the existing tile from the factory), new carpet, engineered wood flooring or LVP.  Figured I would ask what others have used in the particular location (everywhere else any type of flooring should work) that held up to the heat and looked good.  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Bob Wightman said:

Hello Group!  I've been chasing a burning smell coming from the rear of our 2006 HR Scepter DP with a Cummins ISL400.  After replacing all the belts, adding vents to the rear doors with electric fans to get engine heat out I still have a burning smell after about and hour driving.  Pull over to check the engine bay and no smell there, everything seems normal.  Removed and insulated the hatches in the bedroom & closet and put in new gaskets, problem is much better now...but still there.  On my last trip it occurred to me that the problem is the heat from the engine breaking down the original carpeting on the raised area in the closet and next to the bed.  I have not replaced it yet, looking for the best heat rated options and have not yet found a flooring that is rated to handle this kind of heat.  I am considering porcelain tile (but it wont match the existing tile from the factory), new carpet, engineered wood flooring or LVP.  Figured I would ask what others have used in the particular location (everywhere else any type of flooring should work) that held up to the heat and looked good.  Thanks in advance!

Go to the SOURCE of the problem.  There have been many topics here about the issue with the Scepters (Camelots).  Do a search. I used Camelot Heat then clicked on EVERYWHERE....and selected TOPICS. NOW I used Camelot because we have a LOT of them.  You could try Scepter Heat.... Probably get some of the same...

NOW a comment.  It may BE just the aging of the carpet's "adhesive or materials".  Have you checked the OEM insulation or considered beefing that up.  Fans (without or without thermostats) and more VENTING or actually "cracking open the hatch" have been done. Monaco had, I think, one time....a Technical Service Bulletin for owners who complained about how HOT the Bedroom was..  But, that was ONLY if you asked and obviously REV ain't gonna do anything,

I would also expand the search.  Use Monaco Rear Bedroom Engine Heat in GOOGLE and see what pops up.  This is a widespread issue and, I THINK, it also impacted other models.  

Here is the first one, as I skimmed down page 1 of the 4 pages...that is appropriate.  You can quickly look at the titles and see the first part of the post.  Keep going from page 1, then 2 etc.  

As Tom stated...I opened the engine hatch. No wiring or fans and it keeps the whole engine compartment cool including the alternator. See pictures.

I just use these in the linkage for the hatch. The bed room is not hot at the end of a travel day. Simple setup and nothing to go wrong.

Engine lid 2.JPG

engine lid stand off.jpg

Engine lid.JPG

Stand off1.JPG

Stand off2.JPG

Not Scepter / Dynasty specific but I had a burning smell that turned out to be the headlight jumper under the front dash.  Mine was inside the plastic housing that surrounds the steering column.  Couldn't figure out what that faint plastic burning smell was . . . . then the headlights went out while driving at night 😮.  Took a while to chase it down as I didn't expect the headlight circuit to go under / inside the plastic steering column housing. 

Might save someone else chasing a burning smell . . . .

- bob