Vanity Sink Drain BROKE....HEADS UP...

Tom Cherry

I THINK that I have Moen fixtures in the  Camelot.  Really doesn't matter....

I was adding some Happy Camper to the gray tank today.  I filled the sink and then put in the chemical and stirred it.  I then pushed down the lever to open the drain or raise the stopper.  OPPS....it be BROKEN...

I used a knife blade to catch the edge of the stopper and lifted it out.  BOY DID I LUCK OUT..

The metal rod was rusted.....it failed in the typical hourglass or conical shaped mode.  BUT, the 1" or so metal tip that  broke off came UP with the stopper.  

It hit me later.....DUMB @$$.  You should have bailed out the sink, then removed the trap and THEN done your trouble shooting...

WHY....because I always use the Sanicon.  I have never used the Stinky Slinky.  My GS, at a very young age was told to save Pop-Tops by his dad.  He was camping with us and had one in his pocket.  Somehow it made it through the Spendide and got caught in the Sanicon.  I had to rebuild it.

Moral of the story....  Tell the Laundry Person to ALWAYS check pockets....

When you break a Drain Stopper, always immediately remove the Trap and dump it and retrieve any metallic or otherwise parts that can get caught in the Sanicon....

Oh WELL.....NOW I KNOW....

• Thanks 1

Tom, mine was PLASTIC. 😁 That said, when Debi dropped one of the toilet bowl wand ends down the toilet, I simply used the stinky slinky until it passed then I was good. I've rebuilt my macerator twice due to the impeller failing. It's one of those things we never think about if it's in storage for a bit. That impeller dries on the side of the unit until we use it again. I've taken to adding a bottle of mineral oil to the tank during the last flush out before storage and it seemed to have helped. ..Dennis

• Thanks 1

How long does the Sanicon impeller generally last?

I replaced mine a year ago. The one I removed had no fins left on it. I was surprised how quickly my tanks emptied, after installing a new impeller. 

13 minutes ago, pduggs87@gmail.com said:

How long does the Sanicon impeller generally last?

I replaced mine a year ago. The one I removed had no fins left on it. I was surprised how quickly my tanks emptied, after installing a new impeller. 

That depends.....if you have the ORIGINAL Sanicon, then you have the lower OUTPUT model.  They upped the capacity to around 14 or so (memory) from 10.  They also upped the current draw.  The switch that turns it on.....UNLESS your Dynasty has a relay (we have folks that have prints and can help), then you MIGHT need to add a relay if you upgrade to the new pump.

The life.....that is based on how you use it and how your abuse it.  If you do a lot of beach camping and wash off a lot of sand....that will grind down the impeller.  i find that one of the most damaging factors of the life or efficiency is the "Hair".  I have put in a screen filter (drops right into the shower drain) to catch my falling folicles....as well as my grand daughter that sheds like crazy.  Hair is the enemy of ALL macaerators....even the city sanitary systems.  They are the 15 HP and higher models.

SO.....If you eliminate the hair buildup around the shaft....that improves the life.  The other secret is "scraping off the food".  Food particles, if you have a clear coupling, come out at the end of the Gray tank being dumped.  Really an issue.

I bought a new pump with on Amazon.  Eventually, you will have to purchase the Head Kit package.  That is upwards of $75.  I just bought a new pump.  It is in.  I rebuilt my old one.  So, I can swap it out in 15 minutes.   I DID put Hex Washer SS screws in the top of the "box", so I could easily get the top off and fix the pump or do whatever.

If you have gone this long....you are lucky.  Keep doing what you are doing.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1

LOL @ Tom. I did the same. We gotta quit 'saving' things. 😁 My shed is getting full.  It's sure a shame that it's cheaper to simply replace things rather than rebuild.

Paul, the impeller is the only thing really that goes south as it takes the brunt of everything that's pushed through the unit. It also dries out when not in use for awhile so any crud that adheres to it, even hard water etc. can cause it to adhere to the housing. Then when you do use it, it takes off some or a lot of the rubber. FWIW, I take mine apart at least once a year, usually during my annual inspection/service, to clean the chopper blades of hair and any gunk that's there. I also replace the clear hoses that attach it to the drain at that time.......Dennis

Edited by Dennis H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dennis H said:

LOL @ Tom. I did the same. We gotta quit 'saving' things. 😁 My shed is getting full.  It's sure a shame that it's cheaper to simply replace things rather than rebuild.

Paul, the impeller is the only thing really that goes south as it takes the brunt of everything that's pushed through the unit. It also dries out when not in use for awhile so any crud that adheres to it, even hard water etc. can cause it to adhere to the housing. Then when you do use it, it takes off some or a lot of the rubber. FWIW, I take mine apart at least once a year, usually during my annual inspection/service, to clean the chopper blades of hair and any gunk that's there. I also replace the clear hoses that attach it to the drain at that time.......Dennis

FWIW.....and I been there and also talked to the developmental techs (the guys that did the work).

The impeller kit comes with a paper gasket.  That is all.

BUT,  when you take it apart, you have to remove the big "O" ring that looks like a skinny and distorted rubber band.  They do NOT sell these.  The only way to get them is to buy the Head Kit.  So....that is why I bought the whole pump.  YES.  I have a spare head kit and several impellers....but I got a spare pump.

YES....I carry spares....

On 8/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, Tom Cherry said:

FWIW.....and I been there and also talked to the developmental techs (the guys that did the work).

The impeller kit comes with a paper gasket.  That is all.

BUT,  when you take it apart, you have to remove the big "O" ring that looks like a skinny and distorted rubber band.  They do NOT sell these.  The only way to get them is to buy the Head Kit.  So....that is why I bought the whole pump.  YES.  I have a spare head kit and several impellers....but I got a spare pump.

YES....I carry spares....

The Jabsco 63-0003 impeller fits the Sanicon pump.  It is also less than half the price of the Thetford/Sanicon impeller.  If you look on eBay, some of the replacements have the small paper gasket as well as the large O ring.  Also, the Johnson 18950 macerator looks to be an exact fit replacement for the Sanicon.  Again, the cost difference is astronomical.