Draining Aquahot fuel strainer

HELP!  I have a significant drip from the drain plug on the fuel strainer for the Aquahot, I attempted to slightly tighten the drain plug and that caused an increase, I backed it off and slowed it but can't stop it.  The manual tells how to drain the strainer to replace the filter, but no where does it mention a shutoff for the supply line.  When I attempt to drain the bowl using the drain port new fuel just keeps coming in.  Can anyone tell me how to stop the supply of fuel so I can remove the main slot head plug to replace the o-ring?  I'm heading out on a trip tomorrow and I need to fix this ASAP.  Thanks.

Neil

The fuel line coming from the fuel tank to the filter should be a rubber fuel line. Take a pair of Vice Grips or ant type of clamp and use it to clamp the line to stop the fuel flow. The fuel flow is gravity and not under any pressure. Using this method should not damage the fuel line.

Let us know how you make out.

You need to post what model of Aqua-Hot you have as my fuel filter and water separator is high up on the wall of the Fuel/LPG bay and AFAIK it doesn't leak when even changing filters. However, the service tech uses hose vice-grips to shut down the fuel flow when removing the Webasto burner for service. You might try a pair of those to stop the fuel flow and replace the fuel strainer with a new one and new seals.

1 minute ago, David Pratt said:

Neil

The fuel line coming from the fuel tank to the filter should be a rubber fuel line. Take a pair of Vice Grips or ant type of clamp and use it to clamp the line to stop the fuel flow. The fuel flow is gravity and not under any pressure. Using this method should not damage the fuel line.

Let us know how you make out.

Great David, thank for the quick reply!

Thanks Richard, I can't find a model number plate on my Aquahot unit or in the manual, however above the name on the front is a yellow round sticker "05E-015" if that might be it.  My fuel strainer is high on the wall right adjacent to the Aquahot unit.  I'll clamp the supply hose and try to drain the bowl.  I need a new seal on the clear plastic drain plug, do you know if the o-ring needs to be a specific material?

Hi folks, just wanted to say thanks for your input, the vice grips were the answer.  Finally got the fuel drained out, new o-ring installed, filter & bowl refilled, and no leaks.  It was my first time with this one, but I'll be learning with every situation I encounter!  Thanks again, Neil

2 hours ago, Neil Loveless said:

HELP!  I have a significant drip from the drain plug on the fuel strainer for the Aquahot, I attempted to slightly tighten the drain plug and that caused an increase, I backed it off and slowed it but can't stop it.  The manual tells how to drain the strainer to replace the filter, but no where does it mention a shutoff for the supply line.  When I attempt to drain the bowl using the drain port new fuel just keeps coming in.  Can anyone tell me how to stop the supply of fuel so I can remove the main slot head plug to replace the o-ring?  I'm heading out on a trip tomorrow and I need to fix this ASAP.  Thanks.

Harbor Freight and Amazon have what they call "Hose Clamping Pliers".  They are simple plastic pliers with a slip ring or rectangle on the handles.  IF the line is rubber, you put on the right size and pinch or squeeze off the flow and slide the locking ring or "rectangle" in place.  If you have ever watched a tech (used to be mechanics) change a fuel filter, they use them all the time.  I carry a set of 3 sizes.  if you think that you had an issue NOW.....hope you never have to change a Genny Fuel Filter.  There are a MUST there.  Cheap and easy to store.  I HOPE that I never have to use them but I have them as well as a a spare Genny filter (and a spin on AH).  I also have 2 different sizes of strap wrenches.  

Learned from Pratt and the Colonel.  The only spare part or tool that you will ever need is the one that you did not think you would need.

NOW if the line was not rubber, then just ignore my comments....but the pliers are needed if you ever have to change a plugged genny filter at a dry camp site in the middle of nowhere and it is hot as blazes and you need AC....  I did NOT have to do that, but a very astute ex member did.  He was a great gearhead, but did not think about the pliers.  He said he got soaked but got it done and bought the three plier kit the next day....

Thanks Richard, you're not far away from me, We're just outside of Oswego, NY, and we're headed up to the Thousand Islands for the week.  We've been to Letchworth, it's a beautiful park in a beautiful area!  Looking at your "handle", did you work at Kodak?

Tom, thank you for your reply, I'll visit Harbor Freight ASAP!

5 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

The redneck in me says to simply use vice grips and a clothespin to protect the fuel line.... 🙂 ...Dennis

and a wise and learned Red Neck and Shade Tree, you be.....  that will work.  I just thought $10 was a cheap price to keep from getting saturated with diesel, but your fix sounds good to me.  I would NEVER admit to not having the proper tools and NOT using the approved techniques for repairing something....

Neil,

Yes I did. 31 years with Kodak until January 1994 when I took an early retirement when I was offered a Technical Director job out in Hollywood working for CFI Film Labs. CFI was bought out in 2000 by Technicolor Film Labs of North Hollywood so I ended up working for them until 2004 when they offered me an earlier buyout to retire. Then UCLA got in touch with me so I ended up working another 5 years as manager of the Stanford Theatre Film Laboratory sponsored by David Packard who is an old film buff. After 46 years it was time to FULLY retire and start traveling to use my 2002 Windsor which was my full-time home for 14 years. Now we have a winter home in Florida where we spend 6 months and then travel 6 of the hottest months up north where it is cooler.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

Tom, thank you for your reply, I'll visit Harbor Freight ASAP!

Richard, what an interesting life you've had!  We bought our coach in Apopka, FL just before Christmas last year, picked it up mid-Jan., then spent from then until May 1st at the Fisherman's Cove RV Resort and Marina in Tavares.  We loved it there, made many friends, and with the quarterly rate it worked out to $25 a night for new double-wide 50-65'L concrete sites with full hook ups.  We're heading back there right after Thanksgiving, flying back home for 2 weeks at Christmas, then returning for the rest of the winter until May 1.  Maybe next summer when you're up north we can connect.  Thanks again for your advice today.