installing a brake controller

ekgflashnet

23 minutes ago, Nevada Rob said:

I must be the luckiest guy on the planet. The hardest part of installing a brake controller was getting down on the floor and squeezing in between the driver seat and the steering column. At 6' 3" and 215 lbs coupled with a few hard years on the body, I have decided that I am not Gumby like anymore. The plug was hanging right there on the left side of the column waiting to be used. With the all the amazing help this site has and the willingness of many to provide pictures and advise, the whole job took 45 minutes and one cold beer start to finish. The two attached pictures shows all I needed to know.

I was lucky also in that my 02 Windsor wasn't pre-wired so I didn't have to go searching for the elusive 5 wire 6 lug plug. However, I did have to squeeze myself into that impossible area left of the steering wheel to attached the brake controller and run wires from the brake controller down through below the drivers dash and into the FRB. In retrospect, I should have removed the driver's seat to do that.

Then with Rex Darley's help (RIP) he showed me where to pick up the brake signal. Running the 12 gauge Blue wire under the coach back to the engine compartment was not that bad since It did not have a tag axle.

This thread was very helpful with my brake controller install. I found the brake control plug relatively quickly inside the driver's panel (left side). The white bundle of wires was printed "brake controller," I metered everything and soldered the harness up.

When testing the trailer brakes, I had to fall back and read the instructions for the different modes on the LED display. I was missing the calibration mode "CC" because I needed to power cycle the unit to get it settled with the trailer brakes and have the trailer connected for proper grounding. The CURT 51140 TriFlex has a built-in microprocessor to detect faults. Very handy but needs a full boot-up to calibrate and function properly.

I originally purchased the Curt 51200 in-line Bluetooth controller which works excellent on my F250 truck and tri-axle trailer. Unplug the back of the 7-pin and install the 51200 inline. To add this to the RV would require cutting into the 7-pin harness at the rear bumper.

Thanks for the great discussion here.