installing a brake controller

ekgflashnet

I'm in the process of installing a brake controller for my parents new to them RV (2002 ambassador).  I need to find a place to tap into the brake signal.  On the brake pedal itself is a 4 wire connector which I thought would be a good place to start.  However, the signal is inverted from what I need.  There is a constant 12v to the connector until the brake is applied.  At that time, the voltage drops to zero.  the other 3 wires are not useful (cruise cancel, and 2 wires labelled return signal on the schematic).  The schematic also shows the existence of a brake relay.  Does anybody know where I might start looking for this brake relay? 

I also thought about tapping into the brake signal on the lines going to the tow receptacle.  However, I can't seem to locate where that may be.  Any ideas where I can look for that wiring which must go to the front of the RV?

Any other suggestions where I may be able to tap into the brake signal?

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDIV

Does the Ambassador have a front run bay with two small boxes called Monaco #1 and Monaco #2.

I picked up the brake signal from the white wire in Monaco #2 box coming out of the connector at the bottom and it's labeled brake signal. See photo of Monaco #2, blue wire tap. Because it is a negative signal and the brake controller requires a positive 12 VDC signal for the brake you have to install a relay to to turn it into a positive signal for the brake controller.

I have added one more file from Unified Tow brake showing the wire location and how to wire up the relay to get a positive signal to your brake controller.

Monaco Box #2 in FRB-02.JPG

Prodigy Brake Relay-01.JPG

Unified Tow Brake Controller Brake Signal.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

On my parents amabassador, they do not have a Monaco #2 or Monaco #1 box.  But, it did have a Monaco #3 box.  However, there was nothing in there related to the brake that I could find.  Fortunately, while poking around, I found the brake relay shown on the schematic which was located just outside of the box labelled Monaco #3 in the Front run bay. This brake relay converts the negative signal to a positive signal and is used to power the brake lights.  So, in the end I just needed to tap into the output of the relay and all was set.

thanks for the suggestions,

steveg 2005 DDIV

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, Dr4Film said:

I give all the credit to Rex Darley as I was in the same curious position back in the mid 2000's when I wanted to wire up a Prodigy Brake Controller to tow a 30 foot cargo trailer. His help was priceless!

Rest in peace Rex. What a great guy he was.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, new to the group here. I have just purchased a 2011 HR Ambassador and want to install a brake controller so I was searching the internet to see if I could find out if my rig is pre wired etc. I came across this post which seems very encouraging for me. I am going to have a look at the front bay compartment for the wires and boxes mentioned above. DO you guys know if there is anything specific I should be looking for in the 2011 model? Thanking you all in advance.

thank you Richard. Great to know. I had a look in the front bay and think I see a 4 pin connector. I will have a look near the console also. Late now (and having issues with leveling!) but I'll send you a pic of my wiring set up and see what you think. thank you so much for getting back.

Patrick.

16 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

To my knowledge most coaches 2005-6 or so and newer were pre-wired for a brake controller. Some say that the wire harness is buried inside the driver's side console under the driver's side window.

Yep. U S Gear . Some had a POSITIVE Ground. I had one on a 07 Executive. P O S.  The field service engineer from U S gear could not figure how to hook it up . In the dumpster it went, meaning i had a guy remove as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! And luckily Monaco even labeled it too which is rare.

Now you will have to figure our what each wire is unless there is writing on each wire as to it's function.

Normally a brake controller uses four connections but it looks like there are five in the connector. I wonder what the fifth one might be?