installing a brake controller

ekgflashnet

I'm in the process of installing a brake controller for my parents new to them RV (2002 ambassador).  I need to find a place to tap into the brake signal.  On the brake pedal itself is a 4 wire connector which I thought would be a good place to start.  However, the signal is inverted from what I need.  There is a constant 12v to the connector until the brake is applied.  At that time, the voltage drops to zero.  the other 3 wires are not useful (cruise cancel, and 2 wires labelled return signal on the schematic).  The schematic also shows the existence of a brake relay.  Does anybody know where I might start looking for this brake relay? 

I also thought about tapping into the brake signal on the lines going to the tow receptacle.  However, I can't seem to locate where that may be.  Any ideas where I can look for that wiring which must go to the front of the RV?

Any other suggestions where I may be able to tap into the brake signal?

thanks,

steveg 2005 DDIV

Does the Ambassador have a front run bay with two small boxes called Monaco #1 and Monaco #2.

I picked up the brake signal from the white wire in Monaco #2 box coming out of the connector at the bottom and it's labeled brake signal. See photo of Monaco #2, blue wire tap. Because it is a negative signal and the brake controller requires a positive 12 VDC signal for the brake you have to install a relay to to turn it into a positive signal for the brake controller.

I have added one more file from Unified Tow brake showing the wire location and how to wire up the relay to get a positive signal to your brake controller.

Monaco Box #2 in FRB-02.JPG

Prodigy Brake Relay-01.JPG

Unified Tow Brake Controller Brake Signal.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 2

On my parents amabassador, they do not have a Monaco #2 or Monaco #1 box.  But, it did have a Monaco #3 box.  However, there was nothing in there related to the brake that I could find.  Fortunately, while poking around, I found the brake relay shown on the schematic which was located just outside of the box labelled Monaco #3 in the Front run bay. This brake relay converts the negative signal to a positive signal and is used to power the brake lights.  So, in the end I just needed to tap into the output of the relay and all was set.

thanks for the suggestions,

steveg 2005 DDIV

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, Dr4Film said:

I give all the credit to Rex Darley as I was in the same curious position back in the mid 2000's when I wanted to wire up a Prodigy Brake Controller to tow a 30 foot cargo trailer. His help was priceless!

Rest in peace Rex. What a great guy he was.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, new to the group here. I have just purchased a 2011 HR Ambassador and want to install a brake controller so I was searching the internet to see if I could find out if my rig is pre wired etc. I came across this post which seems very encouraging for me. I am going to have a look at the front bay compartment for the wires and boxes mentioned above. DO you guys know if there is anything specific I should be looking for in the 2011 model? Thanking you all in advance.

thank you Richard. Great to know. I had a look in the front bay and think I see a 4 pin connector. I will have a look near the console also. Late now (and having issues with leveling!) but I'll send you a pic of my wiring set up and see what you think. thank you so much for getting back.

Patrick.

16 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

To my knowledge most coaches 2005-6 or so and newer were pre-wired for a brake controller. Some say that the wire harness is buried inside the driver's side console under the driver's side window.

Yep. U S Gear . Some had a POSITIVE Ground. I had one on a 07 Executive. P O S.  The field service engineer from U S gear could not figure how to hook it up . In the dumpster it went, meaning i had a guy remove as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! And luckily Monaco even labeled it too which is rare.

Now you will have to figure our what each wire is unless there is writing on each wire as to it's function.

Normally a brake controller uses four connections but it looks like there are five in the connector. I wonder what the fifth one might be?

• 1 year later...

I have just bought an 2005 Monaco Camelot and need to setup a trailer Brake Controller and I have some questions about the Blue Wire Dilemma...

Does anyone know where the blue wire is that need to be connected to the 7pin on the rear? It does not seem to be anywhere in the engine compartment area...It was mentioned that it may be found near the steering column, but I have yet to find it.  If it is there, is the blue wire run by the factory all the way to the back of the coach, or do I need to run this wire myself? I am also looking for the best place to find 12v Aux power for the harness in the engine bay area. I Want to install a Brake Controller, but without the correct signal, it is a mute point. Newbie desperately needs Help-Please!

Follow your existing 7-pin wiring. You may have to open some split wrap to access the wires. The "blue wire" may not be blue but in any case, it may be folded back inside a loom.

Finding it in the dash connectors was difficult as you are experiencing. Again, it may not be blue and it could be tied back and not have a pin/connector on it.

There may be some writing along the wire so use a headlamp and magnifier to check them out. 

IF you can find one end, then a signal tracer will help you chase the other end. I find a decent signal chaser critical chasing wires in these monsters. They are not expensive in the world now and can save hours of frustration.

You MAY or MAY NOT have the infamous “blue wire”.  2005 was the first year.  Tracing is from the rear is the first step.  Look on the back of the 7 wire connector or “loom”.  If you see 7 wires….then proceed.  Go up front with a flashlight and a Phillips screwdriver.  You need to locate the 5 wires on a 6 pin connector plug. Monaco GOOFED.  US Gear actually fixed the wiring goof.  BUT FIRST….you have GOT to find the infamous 5 wire 6 pin connector.

It can be in one of THREE places.  The first….if you have a cover with 3 or 4 screws on the vertical side of the drivers console….next to the seat….look in there.  Use a flashlight.  You have to feel sometimes.  If you feel a wire set….slide your fingers back or the other way.  If you feel the 6 pin plug and it is NOT plugged into something….that is it.  Took me 3 tries.  It can be on the floor towards the front or inside that console.  It can be slightly higher….toward the front.  There is NO logic as the assembler just “left it” where it fell.  Likewise…..reach up under the left side of the drivers foot area.  There is a CB with only 3 and an antenna wire.  If no JOY, pull the dash cover off and look on the left, working your way back towards the area under the driver’s foot or down towards the drivers console.  Folk have found it in each location.

OK…have a drink.  There are 5 wires.  You need a VOM.  These are the wires.  If you get the plug loose and get a good look at the white wires….you can sometimes read the dot matrix printing and figure them out.  I would also TEST.

GROUND….find it with the meter.  Use it or a good ground for the next.

12 VDC power. maybe FULL ON….not switched. 

Service Brake Power…..can’t remember….switch ON or OFF…and Monaco varied.  Push the service brake.  Should be a 12 VDC signal.  This was the OPPS GOOF one and may not work as it should.  You might also test for the brake signal by engaging the exhaust brake switch….more on this….

12 VDC switch controlled….  Find it. 

BLUE WIRE….it has NO signal.  I used a long 50 ft pieces of bell wire….hooked to the BLUE position (and it can be the center or the #6 pin) I then ran the other end to the front and did a continuity test….

OK…here is the link to the UH OH

http://www.usgear.cc/utb_117.htm

there are hyper or clickable links to the various pictures and schematics that you have to change to get the Brake (probably switch ON) signal.

there is no magic bullet to finding it and you have to find or pin or verify the various signals.  HOPEFULLY….your brake (service) works….they made a running change in mid 2005 to correct….

good luck.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidR said:

Sure, but how do I know I am on the right Blue style Brake Controller Wire or even the 12V Aux wire, when I'm under the dash for ex?

I just installed a brake controller in my 2005.

go back to your plug, and I will bet the blue wire is about 10" long and cut off.   You will need to then run one from there to the front.   

Update.  Google Monaco Brake controller.  There is a video on it…..also look at this.

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/1017-installing-a-brake-controller/

here is a topic on our site as well.  The first post of interest is Dr4Film’s pictures as to how chased down the correct signal.  Again…it was a flaky 05-06 running change.  Later on….there is a great picture of what the infamous 5 wire…6 pin plug looks like.

wish I could be more specific and helpful…but yours in in the transition….and if Monaco goofed and you do have the connector, the brake signal might be wrong….

1 hour ago, Brad Kruchten said:

go back to your plug, and I will bet the blue wire is about 10" long and cut off.   You will need to then run one from there to the front.   

"Someone" installed a brake controller on my 03 and ran much of the brake controlling wire under the belly of the beast, leaving it exposed for just about anything to snatch it off.  I don't use the controller (no toad), so it isn't high on my fix list, but I highly recommend running it through one of the tubes that other wire bundles / hoses use.  You'll probably need to use a fish tape to "push" a line through.  Be sure to leave the line in place for future wires.

- bob

My coach and most of that vintage have at least 1 conduit with nothing in it running from just in front of drive axle to the front axle.   Then the wires can be protected with ease. 

I took the time to install a EGT sensor at the same time. 

Edited by Brad Kruchten