Engine won't start

Guest tommym

I have a 2002 Monaco Executive with a Cummins ISM500 engine. I cannot start the engine with the dash mounted ignition switch. The engine will turn over but will not start. I can go the rear start box in the engine compartment and it will start just fine. Does anyone have any  suggestions regarding how I might troubleshoot this issue?

That is a good problem to solve.  Never experienced any problem like that. But sicne it will start from the rear switch and only turn over from the front switch, I would guess there is more than one function these switches do, i.e. at least engage the starter and the fuel pump.  I would guess the front is not engaging the fuel pump and I would have someone at the reat of the coach while you turn the front switch to determine f they can hear the fuel pump.

Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

Murray Walker

01 HR IMperial that was sold last month. 

Well I'm confused, so please help me.  Let's start with the rear run box. Is the switch on the rear or front? Make sure it's toggled to the FRONT. Then try to start with the key. If it doesn't work, then leave the key ON toggle the switch to rear and try to start it. If this is what you've done, please forgive me for not understanding. If this works, then you have a bad ignition switch. Check the connections on the back of the switch first. If they're ok then it's easiest to replace the switch rather than trying to take it apart and mess with it.....Dennis

If I put the rocker switch on "front" and try to start with the ignition switch, the engine will not start. If I leave the ignition switch in the "on" position and change the rocker switch to "rear" it will start just fine.  I'm having a little problem with the culprit being the ignition switch, simply because the switch seems to be working properly when it has to be in the "on" position in order for the levelling system to work, the electric door step to work, and it also works as far as turning the engine over.

In addition to triggering the starter motor, the ignition switch has to supply power to the shutdown solenoid on the injection pump.

It's possible that when the rear panel is selected, this circuit is supplied via another path.

It sounds like this part of your ignition switch is defective, or there is a broken wire somewhere.

Looking at my schematics, I’d suspect the front/rear switch may be failing.   Check to see if the LEDs that are lit up to the right of the rear switches are the same one one with the switch on front and rear.   Here are the LED’s active for me.   This is with the engine off in the pic below.

It looks like the yellow ign relay light would be off if that switch was failing when in the front position.

8710155F-6102-4A69-AE9F-0374A18C9F96.jpeg

Edited by granvillebarker