ABS diagnostic module KIB 16614041

I've got a 2002 Windsor that does have a small ABS module in the front drivers side run bay.  When I drove it yesterday the ABS light never went out.  This has happened to me before and I've been able to pull the codes using the ABS module.  The procedure is to turn the key on without starting, press the brake pedal one time, and then go outside around to the FRB and press the small black button for less then 2 seconds.  At that point it will give you the blink codes flashing on the small LED light.  This time it wouldn't do it.  The light would never go out. 

In the past I have had problems with the button sticking but that didn't seem to be the problem but I went ahead and took the board off and took it into the shop to blow it out with air.  Reinstalled it and same thing but this time I went ahead and rapidly pressed the button with the key on, at some point the the small LED light went out and it did flash some codes but then the light came back on.  So I took the board off and took it to work on it on a workbench and pulled the button face off.  There is a small curved spring plate under the button, which when you press it makes contact between two points.  It didn't seem to have enough spring in it so I took it out and slightly bent the 4 corners of the plate and reinstalled the button.  Took it back out and put the board back on and attached the wiring harnesses and the light was out.  Did the procedure to check for codes and there were none,

I did check and the ABS diagnostic module is obsolete, NWRVSupply will try and rebuild your old one but no guarantee.  So if you are having trouble you can try what I did.   

Mine is mounted in the bottom left corner on the side.  It looks like this   http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/16614041.html

or here https://store.phoenixcoachglobal.com/product/16614041-repair-absrm1-abs-relay-module-repair-onlysee-description/

In case the button is on the bottom next to the two 15 amp fuses and the LED light is above it on the edge of the board. 

Here is an addendum from Monaco that I found that explains how to check for the codes on page 3 says there is a button next the steering column, I don't have that but the ABS module in the FRB.

Caution, it says to press the 1-2 seconds.  DO NOT press the button for longer then 2 seconds, it puts the ABS system into DYNO mode and the light will stay on all the time.  There is a procedure to get it out of Dyno mode but I can't remember where I found it when this happened to me.  It took 2 people, one inside pressing the brake and one outside pressing the diagnostic button in a specific sequence to get it out of the DYNO mode.

abs_atc_system Monaco Addendum.pdf

Edited by jacwjames

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Caution, it says to press the 1-2 seconds.  DO NOT press the button for longer then 2 seconds, it puts the ABS system into DYNO mode and the light will stay on all the time.  There is a procedure to get it out of Dyno mode but I can't remember where I found it when this happened to me.  It took 2 people, one inside pressing the brake and one outside pressing the diagnostic button in a specific sequence to get it out of the DYNO mode

Just in case you need it, if you have gen 4/5 ECU, next ignition cycle will take it out of Dyno mode. If you have the enhanced ECU 60 version, this should work:

Dynamometer Test Mode

The Dynamometer Test Mode is used to disable ESP & ATC when needed (e.g. when performing any vehicle maintenance where the wheels are lifted off the ground and moving, including dyno testing). For Advanced ABS controllers this mode will remain engaged even if power to the ECU is removed and re-applied.

To exit the Dynamometer Test Mode, press and release the blink code switch three times, or use a hand-held or PC-based diagnostic tool. 

I've never disconnected, the wiring harnesses is what it communicates through. 

If your ABS light is not on there is no need to run diagnostics unless you just want to test it.  If you do it should come back with a 1-1 blink code signifying no fault codes.

Last time I had a real fault code it was for the front drivers side wheel, it said the ABS sensor  was not in the correct position.  I removed, cleaned and put back it.  Drove it and the light went out.

Prior to that when the ABS light was on I determined that the button on the ABS module was stuck.  When I was doing research one thing that I read was that the module requires a good ground so I ran a separate ground wire to the chassis. 

Edited by jacwjames

Many years ago I had problems with my ABS dash light coming on and staying on intermittently. Using the black button on the ABS Diagnostics board I was able to reset the ABS light to turn it off. After this had been happening for many months on end the ABS light finally came on and I was not able to reset it using the black button. I finally took it to Wildwood RV one year while attending one of the Monaco Gatherings at Lazy Days and they had found that my ABS Diagnostics board had corrosion on the back side of it which caused it to fail. They replaced the small diagnostic board and it's been trouble-free ever since then. They also used some moisture sealer on the mounting screws when installing the new board to prevent any moisture from seeping from the rear side of the wall to the board.

Photo of ABS Diagnostic Board and Port located in the FRB attached.

ABS Diagnostic Module.JPG

• Thanks 1