It is About Time

It is about time manufacturers start looking at composites for floors to get rid of the wood. It would not be so bad if they used marine grade plywood but they use low bid plywood that rots like crazy.

If some of you have not recently looked at the plywood in 5th wheels, TT and toy haulers lately you would be shocked to see the low grade plywood they are using. It will be a while before the coach builders switch to composite but once one manufacturer does it will put pressure on the others to follow suit. Technology has really advanced composite development which can be seen in the aircraft of today along with many other industries. I am guessing we are a decade away from coaches coming out with composite flooring but I for one will be happy to see it take place.

Here is the article: https://rv-pro.com/features/working-away-from-wood-find-footing-in-rv-flooring/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20201106 RVP ENEWS (1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=24060257&spUserID=NjE3MjYxMTUxOTYzS0&spJobID=1860442831&spReportId=MTg2MDQ0MjgzMQS2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Manufactures will sell just as many units using what they`re using now -- Marine plywood & such would be much more costly to use & that cost would pass on down to the end user --YOU -- Then you would be be screaming about the higher price of RV`s -- If owners would maintain their RV`s, then they wouldn`t have to worry about rot & water damage -- Sure, water lines can break, but if you leave the pump off except when needed & turn the water off at the hose bib when leaving the unit, even for a short duration, then the damage will be minimal -- Bill Willard

On 11/6/2020 at 12:19 PM, throgmartin said:

It is about time manufacturers start looking at composites for floors to get rid of the wood....

That’s CRAZY talk. And then what’s next??? Huh???
Air conditioners that are quiet and efficient??? Refrigerators that don’t catch fire and use current-millennium technologies ????

😱

cheers

Walter

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Easy to say when you live in a part of the world that get's 1/4" of rain per year 😄.

You`re right -- We call it Paradise -- However, silicone cost about the same no matter where you live -- You just have to use it --

13 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

True enough Bill, but some leaks can be awful hard to find!

I worked in the manufacturing & the service end of RV`s for many years -- Water leaks like air leaks can run you nuts trying to find them -- I`ve seen something as simple as a screw being installed a little slanted causing a leak - I learned long ago, that there is no such thing as a perfect RV -- And never will be no matter how hard you try to build one -- Bill Willard

• Like 1

You aren't taking into consideration of service facilities that don't fix a problem correctly and you not only get water damage but built up concealed mold and mildew (I know from experience as we had to have the subfloor and carpet totally replaced due to poor repair). The added cost difference between plywood and AZEK is about $500 on a 36ft coach. To me that is cheap insurance. 

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, mmccwill said:

I worked in the manufacturing & the service end of RV`s for many years -- Water leaks like air leaks can run you nuts trying to find them -- I`ve seen something as simple as a screw being installed a little slanted causing a leak - I learned long ago, that there is no such thing as a perfect RV -- And never will be no matter how hard you try to build one -- Bill Willard

So ,  now I find out my RV is not perfect and never will be , thanks Bill .   I don't know what to think of that . I was sitting here looking out the window thinking man that's a perfect RV I love that thing .  Now I'm not feeling the love so much , I may cry I feel so low . 😭 

I wonder if a new Prevost will help .🤑

It won't matter , I can't afford one anyway I'll just have to stay with my imperfect RV .   🍋

Actually I feel so lucky to live in a country where a plain old guy like me can even own a RV and travel around this great country I love it  :dance:

Edited by Ray Davis

43 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

So ,  now I find out my RV is not perfect and never will be , thanks Bill .   I don't know what to think of that . I was sitting here looking out the window thinking man that's a perfect RV I love that thing .  Now I'm not feeling the love so much , I may cry I feel so low . 😭 

I wonder if a new Prevost will help .🤑

It won't matter , I can't afford one anyway I'll just have to stay with my imperfect RV .   🍋

Actually I feel so lucky to live in a country where a plain old guy like me can even own a RV and travel around this great country I love it  :dance:

We are very lucky indeed -- Whenever we pass a sales lot, I always wonder what problem awaits the new owner of each one of the RV`s sitting there --

-- I`ve seen something as simple as a screw being installed a little slanted causing a leak - I learned long ago, that there is no such thing as a perfect

Funny you should mention that! We were scratching our heads because we were getting water on top of our slide but had decided that it was from the roof instead of the slide seals but couldn't find the crack or opening. Upon further inspection we realized that there is a screw holding the slide topper in place- put in at an angle and loose and rusted. That was the culprit! Dug the liquid rubber out and replaced the screw and used dicor (hope it works for the long term)

Sharon

2002 Windsor

• Like 1