Rear Tire recommendation 85 PSI?

CapnDean

I just had 8 new tires installed on my new to me Monaco Camelot 42PDQ.  I was expecting to see 100-110# in the 6 rear tires.   The label in the coach recommends 85?   Max tire pressure on these (GoodYear G70 295/80R22.5) is 120#.    I like to be close to max inflation,  85 seems too low.  Anybody got any logic to share?

Stick it on a truck scale if you have doubts (I pull ours on backward to get the tag axle on the steer platform), and check against the tire maker's load/inflation table. CAT Scale has a cell phone app so you don't even have to get out of your rig.

85's probably pretty close. Our 08 sig 45 rides on 295/80R22.5s, and it ends up 120 steer, 90 drive, 75 tag with the tag carrying half the weight of the drive. Also, your vehicle information placard behind the driver's seat should have the inflation pressures at the max rated load.

Lower pressure gets a larger contact patch and hopefully a little softer ride.

Guest Ray Davis

The tire shops will probably put 120 psi in them but that will jar your teeth out .

So lower pressures with in limits is where most people end up .

Guest Ray Davis

You probably know that changing the tag axel pressure will change the weight on the front axel too .

I don't have a tag so I'll let others with real experience jump in with their experiences .

Individual axle weight is adequate. Fuel and water full, grey and black tanks empty.  Your stuff you usually have in the coach for use. Go to a Cat scale and put the steer on the 1st platform and straddle the drive and tag on the 2nd and 3rd platforms. I would set the DOWN pressure for your tag at 50#. Get the print out and adjust the tag pressure if needed. POST on here the scale print out and we will help you determine the adjustments you may need. Then re weigh.  Then get the tire inflation pressure chart for YOUR tires.

On our 42' 2006 Dynasty I try to keep it between 115# and 120# on the steer tires and between 80# and 85# on both the drive and the tag tires.  We've run those pressres for over 15 years.  The front tires need all of that.  The tire charts actually come in under 80# based on weight for the drive and tag tires, but the note on the sidewall of the tires say 80# minimum pressure, cold.  We ran Goodyear for the first 9 years and have been on Michelin for the past 6.

• Thanks 1