Sharp R-1850 removal and replacement

fiat124man

Not sure about the 1850, I know on the 1870 thru 1875 have the same mounts.  To remove them you just remove the small wood trim that is just above the microwave and it provides access to the 2 main screw that fasten the microwave to the wall bracket.  The wood trim is is just wedged in there are to fasteners holding the wood trim in place.

Jim

We have a 1999 Monaco Diplomat and we replaced our 1850 Convection Oven with a Whirlpool Microwave Model Number UMV1160CB ($170.00). It was almost a direct fit with only a few minor modifications. The microwave works well for what we use it for. I basically dismantled the old one to get it out however Jim B hit the nail on the head with the 2 main screws to remove and they are very long. 

I  think there are likely earlier discussions which cover your question.  In the search box put “Microwave” and  one of the results starts out with a Samsung question, but evolves to the Sharp which should fit yours.  Note the 2 long bolts, accessed through the filter openings, with attach to a wall plate.  You also likely have some side wood screws. That thing is heavy too, so the back plate of the Sharp is a much safer setup.

Edited by David White

We got the old 1850 microwave out, here is how it went.  After unscrewing and removing the bottom plate holding the screens, we loosened the LONG screws/bolts

and rocked the microwave forward. Had to remove the wood panel above the microwave to got the cord free.  The hole in the cabinet that the cord went thru was TOO small for the plug. Monaco had added wiring AFTER they installed the microwave, so wiring blocked plug. I cut the cord since I am throwing the old Sharp out. ThenI rotated the microwave forward and guess what.  They DID put wood screws in the lower walls of the microwave. VERY HARD to see and get to. Once I was able to remove them, the Microwave fell out. It IS HEAVY, guessing about 50 lbs. Took us old folks about 45 min. total, we will be sore tomorrow. Have ordered a Sharp r-1874T from Lowes, a drop-in replacement. Wish me luck, Jon

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, Dr4Film said:

Sent you a PM with removal instructions!

Richard… any chance of getting these instructions? I’m about to tackle the project. I’ve already removed the lower plate and removed the two diagonal screws. Something else is holding it up. 

Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe,

Not sure what you meant by the lower plate.

You need to reinstall the two long diagonal bolts, not tight just hand snugged.

Look for two sheet metal screws, one on each side. They should be visible up through the openings where the grease screens were located and the same access to the long bolts. They will be Robertson Head screws which you need a square driver to remove.

Once those two screws are removed, then lay a heavy furniture protective cover on the counter under the microwave. Now remove the two long bolts, one at a time. You need two people, one holding the microwave up against the back wall while the second person is removing the bolts. Then slowly lower the front of the microwave down to the counter. You should have already unplugged the power cord from the outlet. Once there, now is the time to lift the rear end of the microwave off of the back plate ledge which it has been resting on down to the counter.

To install, reverse the process.

Edited by Dr4Film

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Hi Joe,

Not sure what you meant by the lower plate.

You need to reinstall the two long diagonal bolts, not tight just hand snugged.

Look for two sheet metal screws, one on each side. They should be visible up through the openings where the grease screens were located and the same access to the long bolts. They will be Robertson Head screws which you need a square driver to remove.

Once those two screws are removed, then lay a heavy furniture protective cover on the counter under the microwave. Now remove the two long bolts, one at a time. You need two people, one holding the microwave up against the back wall while the second person is removing the bolts. Then slowly lower the front of the microwave down to the counter. You should have already unplugged the power cord from the outlet. Once there, now is the time to lift the rear end of the microwave off of the back plate ledge which it has been resting on down to the counter.

To install, reverse the process.

Thanks Richard. There were two screws that weren't visible until the lower black plate was removed. All finished and new Sharp R1874 is up and running!  

I am still confused about what the "lower back plate" still is. I will have to look at my Sharp Microwave today to try and understand what you are referring to.

I do know that having done this on a few Monaco coaches I have never had to remove ANY lower back plate to access those metal screws, only the grease screens.

Glad you were able to accomplish the task!

Edited by Dr4Film