You Folks are Awesome - Plastic under the carpet of slide out

Guest azlein

Because I am struggling with what to call it, google is failing me.  I am remodeling my RV and want to replace the plastic (on the edge of slide out) under the slide out carpet because the old one is in 2 pieces and wavy.  But I am unable to find what I need.  Not being successful even coming close to finding what I need.  Not sure if it is plastic, vinyl, or acrylic or something else I haven’t thought of.  Any help pointing me in the right direction or details of what material is generally used here would be so helpful!!

20210113_161117.thumb.jpg.cb2d8e5ea85c336b728020e1cf26f2b2.jpg

Edited by Guest

Kenneth,

I would bet that Chris Throgmartin from Talin RV would have your answer. He is a member here and checks the board frequently. However, I know that they are getting ready for the Tamp RV Super-show which starts in two days over at the fairgrounds so he might be pretty busy right now.

Guest Ray Davis

Ernie Ekberg is the guru of RV flooring and he is friendly and helpful.  He has a website too but I don't know it right now.

ernietex@yahoo.com- or 817-475-3991

If you're referring to the plastic pieces that support the carpet on the flat floor slide, I can tell you what we did.

We replaced the carpet and vinyl tile on the floor in our Knight with Luxury Vinyl Plank.  The slides are carpeted and we replaced the carpet on the slides.  We just removed the two plastic support pieces for the carpet and let the carpet just overhang by itself.  It works fine for us.  I'm not sure what would happen if you did that when the main floor is carpeted . . . the issue I wonder about is that when the slide comes in, does the carpet on the slide move smoothly on the floor carpet.  It works beautifully on our luxury vinyl plank.

Dwight

10 hours ago, azlein said:

Because I am struggling with what to call it, google is failing me.  I am remodeling my RV and want to replace the plastic (on the edge of slide out) under the slide out carpet because the old one is in 2 pieces and wavy.  But I am unable to find what I need.  Not being successful even coming close to finding what I need.  Not sure if it is plastic, vinyl, or acrylic or something else I haven’t thought of.  Any help pointing me in the right direction or details of what material is generally used here would be so helpful!!

Maybe this is what you are looking for. You can put in different widths and lengths. The slide in our coach would be about 10 x 72 so that is what I entered.

https://tinyurl.com/y3zfrc7z

• Thanks 1

Those parts are called Slide Out Ramps. They are made of a Polypropylene Nylon material. Monaco sold them by the length for the specific coach. If my memory serves me correctly the Ramps were supplied by HWH as apart of the flat floor slide out kit.

REV should be able to supply them.

• Thanks 1

Is this what you’re looking for?

I replaced the ones on both our 08 Camelot and 09 Dynasty. It’s called ultra high density plastic and I got the strips off of Amazon

UHMW Sheet, 1/8" Thick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037MEMDO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If this is it there are tricks to replacing this that I can expound on if you want 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Dwight Lindsey said:

If you're referring to the plastic pieces that support the carpet on the flat floor slide, I can tell you what we did.

We replaced the carpet and vinyl tile on the floor in our Knight with Luxury Vinyl Plank.  The slides are carpeted and we replaced the carpet on the slides.  We just removed the two plastic support pieces for the carpet and let the carpet just overhang by itself.  It works fine for us.  I'm not sure what would happen if you did that when the main floor is carpeted . . . the issue I wonder about is that when the slide comes in, does the carpet on the slide move smoothly on the floor carpet.  It works beautifully on our luxury vinyl plank.

Dwight

I was thinking the same thing but was concerned that when the slide is in the carpet is on the 90 degree angel and if stepped on would break it down vs the plastic having the give.  I still may go that route

Our carpet has been installed this way for about 8 years and it's in fine shape.  This was new carpet and when we installed it we cut an extra piece from the carpet and had the edges bound, with the idea that when the installed carpet wore out we could replace it.  We still have that piece of carpet, just in case.  The carpet we installed then (I think it was 8 years ago) is still fine.