Step Well Cover

I’ve tried to search my problem, but failed to get the needed info, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Specifically, my Electric (not air) Step Well cover will not extend. The out/in rocker switch seems to work, since I can hear a “click” when the switch is activated in each direction.

I need to get access underneath to check the motor and was wondering if there is a way to get the front panel off?  About a year ago this happened and I bumped the step end panel hard - it started working and has not failed since.  This is on an ‘05 Windsor.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

David,

I'm remodeled my stair entry, so I've torn that thing all apart.  The front panel on mine was held on with screws but they are under the carpet that's glued on the face.  Try using a strong magnet and see if you can identify them.

Another way to get it opened is to  get a grip on the front cover and gently but firmly pulled it straight out.  It only has to come out very little (maybe 1/2" or so) before the motor will take over.    It hasn't jambed now for several years, so I'm thinking the problem is fixed  (until this weekend, of course)

If either of these work, and you can get it opened,  then apply silicone spray on all the moving parts.  You want to clean off all the old grease and goop on the moving parts.  I think monaco used lithium grease on those parts and over the years collect dust and became hard to operate.  

Before you get too involved in tearing it apart, go outside, turn around and try to gain access to the inner workings by trying to pull the cover out enough to see the mechanism.  There is a screw type gismo that runs from front to back in the center of the step well.  From the screw there are side pieces of metal that runs from the screw to each side of the step.  Those are easy to jamb causing the cover to not move.  

I am up to my eyes in gators with my daughter in surgery this morning.  I have several picture I can send you.  Send me your email address and telephone number to 

jbee 99807 @ gmail dot com.  I will try to get back to you later this afternoon.  Chuck B

Before you get too involved you might want to check the switches. Just because they click doesn't mean they work. Pop them out and run a jumper wire across the terminals and see if that may be your problem...it was on mine. I got a new switch from Northwest supply.

4 hours ago, Chuck D said:

Before you get too involved you might want to check the switches. Just because they click doesn't mean they work. Pop them out and run a jumper wire across the terminals and see if that may be your problem...it was on mine. I got a new switch from Northwest supply.

Chuck, do you have 2 switches?  Did the one bad one cause both not to activate the motor?

FYI, today I got access to one of the switches and jumped across the switch.  I think it was the “in” side. It clicked but it did not move.  I then rocked the switch to open and the cover moved out and now operates normally.

I think the motor was in a bad rotation position and will likely do it again.  Now I need to determine how to access to motor

i have done a thorough lube of the screw rod and joints on the frame.  It now is moving very smooth, so hopefully I don’t have to replace a motor since it’s totally out of reach for me and would require cover assembly frame removal I think.

Edited by David White

Guest Ray Davis
21 hours ago, Chuck B said:

Before you get too involved in tearing it apart, go outside, turn around and try to gain access to the inner workings by trying to pull the cover out enough to see the mechanism.  There is a screw type gismo that runs from front to back in the center of the step well.  From the screw there are side pieces of metal that runs from the screw to each side of the step.  Those are easy to jamb causing the cover to not move.

I think Chuck more than likely has the right idea.    From what I understand the motor is very difficult to get to and I don't remember anyone finding theirs was bad.        Usually it has been something broken or jammed in the mechanism.

With the cover extended go out side and look up under the cover, you can see the mechanism  .

Edited by Ray Davis

Mine has done this once.  I was able to pull a little and it has worked since.  I lubed it and now try not to run it all the way in. I stop it maybe 1/4" short so it's not a tripping hazard. 

The electric step cover uses a self resetting fuse similar to the ones in the link below. If the mechanism is dragging or binding the motor will over current and trip the fuse. This happens very fast and you will hear a click. If you are not aware of the presence of the self resetting fuse you might think the motor is bad. Sometimes if you pull the cover out some with your hand the binding will decrease and the step will work. Lubrication is not always the correct fix but may help. On ours part of the mechanism came loose and once that was repaired the step cover worked correctly. 

https://tinyurl.com/y4ow72vw _Stepwell Indiana step cover.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This thread is a year old, but, my step well cover will not extend.  FRB; fuses are good, the relay I don't know.  Going to try brute force to pull it out.  I am not hearing a click or anything.  Cover was working fine yesterday and we have used it every day for months.  Some my check my work, but I found looking at the wiring schematic the power is run through CVH, green, relay in the FRB.  There are two fuses in the fuse block that is mounted to the CCM of the chassis multiplex.  Strangely enough there are two wire each for extend/retract from the VCH relay.  About a foot from the relay plug both wires are butt spliced to create one wire from the two.  I'm not an EE, but what is this all about?  I have found this technique all over the coach.  Anybody have a logical reason to have two wires from a rely plug spliced with a simple butt splice?  Is this a "Monaco" thing?

In case anyone is having trouble with their entry steps, mine quit working, Monaco used a flimsy thin metal plate that creates the motion, in and out, of the steps.  I had a machinist make a new plate out of better steel and twice as thick.  Been working fine for the past year.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty

Anybody have a schematic/wiring diagram for the 09 Dynasty step well cover circuit(s)?  Was not able to forcibly move the cover.  I don't have the carpeted front.  The topside is carpet.  Was able to remove the strip on the edge, but that didn't get me anywhere.  I can hear the relay clicking.  That's as far as I have gone.  I have no power at the wires coming from the VCH plug, but, are those ground wires and the circuit is being grounded at the relay to complete the circuit?  Thanks,

Woody Miller

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Ray, it is an electric step cover.

Woody Miller

When my elect step cover has malfunctioned, it has been something awry in the mechanism underneath it.   

I was able to get mine out enough to see under there.  Have you tried pulling on it while using the switch? 

I have not done this but have read that screws are buried in the carpet around the edge, they will allow the top to come off

There are many threads on IRV2,  here are 2 that may help.  One recommends kicking the cover to get it unstuck,  might be worth a try.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/step-well-cover-problem-523887.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/step-cover-wont-move-479491.html

Thanks guys, and a special shout out to Frank for all the help.  It's fixed.  A 25 amp circuit breaker had tripped in the Front Run Box.  I tried to pull the cover out, but I was lacking enough brute strength to move it.  So it's really good that I didn't have to get underneath to mess with the mechanicals.  My cover is a little different.  No carpet on the face of it.  Just black metal trim and a piece of plastic to close the gap when retracted.

Now I can get back to my "things to repair in my spare time list".

Woody Miller

Woody - Glad I was able to help and thanks for posting the solution. 

In case you or others need them, here is a link to the wiring diagrams for your coach.  There are two options.  You can either download the complete set as one PDF file (click on the file link in the description) or you can click on the download icon and select the specific wiring diagram page to download. 

In the link below, click on the title to get the option to download the complete set in one PDF file.  (If you click on "Download this file" you will get a list of specific pages to download.)

• 2 weeks later...

we bought three RV step covers from Camco for our 5th wheel because the three steps have no coating on them. We usually track in the mud and wet, muddy feet. These rugs effectively prevent that. They attach using coil springs that fit into one of two "groomed" holes (for different width steps) at the bottom of the step. Installation is pretty easy and these mats are actually pretty sturdy and won't move much, even in heavy traffic. The options for colors are nice. We ordered 18" long rugs and they were perfect for our RV.

Edited by Dalton07