Source Engineering Ride Enhancement Kit

Go to solution Solved by Chad Y,

I just ordered my kit and it will be here next week. Weather permitting, probably install it next weekend. I can give you feed back after that. Talking to Jim at Source and reading reviews, I hope my expectations are not too high. Either way will have to improve the ride.

• Solution
3 hours ago, Bob Keating said:

Has anyone had this kit put on their 4 bag roadmaster chassis?

I know my shock are shot, but I am wondering if the extra money for new bags and a ping tank are worth it.

Also, I am considering a self install if I do buy the kit.

Any thoughts?

Hi Bob, I bought and installed the REK about 7-8 years ago. Was a fairly easy install, instructions were pretty thorough. It makes a big difference in the ride quality. I highly recommend the kit. The coach should have came this way from the factory but I'm sure the $$ prevented Monaco from doing it. I've done quite a bit to my chassis for better ride and handling.  If you need assistance I'd be glad to help anyway I can. 

25 minutes ago, David RUSSELL said:

I would be very interested in ride handling and trailing arm install.Any information on install would be greatly appreciated. Would be interesting to know how big a job this would be.

The shop doing it has quoted me 8 hours labor for the trailing arms and ride kit. 

25 minutes ago, David RUSSELL said:

Is this at source engineering?They told me 6 hours for trailing arms .I can't go to U.S. now,border still closed to Canadians. 

Thanks

I believe 6 hours is right for only trailing arms, the other 2 hours are for the ride enhancement kit, so the shocks and air bags on the front with ping tank install. The rear shocks and air bags are to be removed for trailing arm replacement so they just install the new ones.  

Installed the Monaco designed ride enhancement kit and the ride quality (front end bounce and control) much improved!  I'm sure the Source kit may be better because of their proprietary shocks.  Your next chassis improvement should be changing out the Shepard steering box for the TRW...it is probably one of the best mods you can make.  Lots of info on this site, Ramblers and others.  

Adam

2010 Neptune 37PBQ

I installed the REK in August 2011.  It made a big difference in the ride.  Did this right after I replaced the trailing arms.  I don't remember the cost but it wasn't particularly cheap.

Gerry

07 Cayman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still waiting on my kit to show up. It was picked up on 3/12 and supposed to deliver on 3/18, then 3/19, check on it today and now they cannot find the 100lb box 🤬 so now it is 3 to 7 days for UPS to investigate and try to find it. Yea for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now I am battling UPS because my box never showed up. I even had it insured. They conveniently say improper packing and they are not responsible. I call BS and have challenged them for the proof as I have proof the packaging exceeded there stated requirements. 
In the mean time another kit was shipped and should be here by Wednesday. FedEx this time as this is shippers preferred customer.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by ncsteve

Steve,

I guess I am Lucky. I ordered my kit on Tuesday April 8, and FedEx delivered it the following Sunday!

I did install the kit myself using basic hand tools. It took about a day and a half. The instructions, while complete, are written for someone who does this type of work for a living, in my opinion. The front is the hardest, and I tackled it first. It is not necessary to remove any of the wheels, although you do get into some tight spaces. I am 64 years old and about 6' tall and 190 Lbs. Too much larger and I might have had some issues. Good jack stands are a must. For the most part, I used the leveling jacks in addition to jack stands; however, the ping tank mounting required me to raise the front jack and rely on the jack stands. I did have some self induced problems that probably cost me 1/2 of a day on the install. All due to the routing of the air lines to include the ping tank.

Please be aware, some RR4's had two leveling valves on the front rather than one, mine included. This is where my self induced issue happened.

If you are reasonably mechanically inclined, this is a job you can do. My only expense was buy a heavy duty air impact wrench to replace a worn out one. A small price compared to the $3,000 I was quoted for a kit install. This kit vastly improved the ride and handling of my  coach.

Good luck on yours,  it is worth the price.

Bob, thanks for the info. I do work on all of my own vehicles so I feel confident as far as the install goes. I did purchase some 22k jack stands as I figure I will need them down the road. All I need is my kit..lol. Did you happen to take any pictures of your install? Again, thanks

Steve,

No, I did not take pictures. I was in a hurry to get ready for a trip this weekend. The photos that Source provides are really sufficient.

The main issue that I came across was not understanding the instructions about plumbing the ping tank. You leave the source air supply to the leveling valve and connect the air  dump and valve out to the bag to the ping tank. They provide a T which connects the T to the ping tank via a separate 1/4" air line. My coach has a leveling valve on each side. This kit only uses one valve, so I sourced any air line needed fro the spare valve. They also send an air line cap for the air supply to the unused valve. If you only have the center mounted leveling valve, it is a much less confusing install. This is what I learned:

1. you will need a floor jack to put under the front shock mounts. When you remove the front shocks, the front axle just sort of dangles.

2. The front air bags arrive in a pretty bell shape. after you install them and remove the floor jack, they will extend to the point that it looks like they are damaged. They are not.

3. All bags arrive with a center bolt or nut , depending on whether is a front or rear. The bot/nut will be loose. Turns out this allows the bottom plate to rotate so the mounting studs/holes will line up. I hand tightened mine and was still able to rotate the bottom plate.

4. The front bags make very loud popping noises when first inflated. I was warned of this by Source and it is perfectly normal.

5. The shock bots and  nuts take a 1 1/8 inch wrench/socket. Other sizes are 3/4", 9/16", and 1/2". There might also be a random 5/8".

I hope this helps. Let me  know if I can help with further information on how my install went.

Bob,

• Like 2

To bad you are not closer, you could come over and supervise.. LOL.   
The 2nd Kit showed up today. 😃 but they are calling for 1 to 2” on Saturday though, ☹️ I need to pull the coach out of the shed onto concrete so I am not working in gravel. Might get to start on it on Sunday 

98BF51F3-77D8-402C-860C-6A2CFD33A898.jpeg

Edited by ncsteve
  • Like 1