Main Shut Off Switch

miniedmo

As Richard said, the disconnect switches are there to disconnect the load, not the charging source.  The chassis battery disconnect does not disconnect theengine alternator either.  I think the other consideration is that when in storage one might switch off the house loads, but still want the capability to charge the batteries.  When you installed the solar, you should have included shutoffs from the panels to the controller and then protection from the controller to the battery cables. 

17 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

As Richard said, the disconnect switches are there to disconnect the load, not the charging source.  The chassis battery disconnect does not disconnect theengine alternator either.  I think the other consideration is that when in storage one might switch off the house loads, but still want the capability to charge the batteries.  When you installed the solar, you should have included shutoffs from the panels to the controller and then protection from the controller to the battery cables. 

I did install install circuit breakers with manual on/off levers. I just found it strange that with the “salesman switch” the 12V to/from the inverter is always hot.

17 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

I did install install circuit breakers with manual on/off levers. I just found it strange that with the “salesman switch” the 12V to/from the inverter is always hot.

The salesman switch doesn't cut off all 12 volt, that is why there is a DC Disconnect at the battery.  The inverter/ charger is considered a source, not a load.  The disconnects are there to disconnect loads that might drain the battery.  They were not put there for maintenance purposes.  I suppose you could but a disconnect between the charger and the batteries, but that would bring other problems.  You could damage the charger is you were to inadvertently plug in shore power with there being no batteries connect to the charger.  Same problem if you were to put a stiffness between the engine alternator and the battery or the solar controller and the battery.  

If you look at the installation of the Magnum Inverter/Charger PSW model MS which is a popular model for RV installations you will notice that they are installed the very same way as the Trace/Xantrex MSW Inverter/chargers.

So this type of installation is common.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0007 Rev F (MS Series)_Web_1.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film