My rear slide on the driver's side has decided to creep out about 7 inches when driving so I've ordered the extended solenoid from HWH this afternoon. Once received, I'll attempt to install it. My solenoids are under the front step well. Any suggestions to make my life easier would be appreciated. I know Visa/Mastercard would be the easiest solution but I am pretty sure I can do this myself. I'm hoping Paul Maddox sends me some good instructions with the valve. We spoke for quite awhile on the phone this afternoon. Anyone who has changed one or more themselves, please share your experience. Thanks....Dennis

On my first road trip the room slide would not respond. had to release the valves and get some muscle lined up in the camp ground to push it in. I have the old style manifold but access was pretty good with the Gen set out. Hope all goes smoothly for you on this one.  

When you placed your order for the slide out solenoid did HWH tell you about how long the wait time would be.

The reason I ask is back in the first of March I had  a Solenoid fail and had to replace it. The coach was still under warranty and when the tech called to order the parts he was told there was a six to eight week hold up on shipping the part. Fortunately I had a new one in my stock of spare parts and replaced it. The tech ordered a new one and when it comes in will give it to me to replace my spare I used. This is the seventh week since the part was ordered and HWH has no idea when they will be shipping the part yet.

The solenoids are available new on eBay for around $260.00. You might want to purchase one as as a spare. I learned that lesson when I had my 05 Exec.

Back in March I sent you a trouble shooting guide about slide out creep, Was it Helpful.

You do not need any special tools to R & R the Solenoid. A pair of large pliers will loosen the Solenoid and it will turn easily out. The HWH Service manual cover the steps to replace them.

1 minute ago, David Pratt said:

You do not need any special tools to R & R the Solenoid. A pair of large pliers will loosen the Solenoid and it will turn easily out. The HWH Service manual cover the steps to replace them.

I would invite you to do a show and tell on my 2007 Signature with your large pliers.   Possible of course but you will be happy to use the solenoid tool after you bang around in there for a while.  I have used both methods. :classic_wink:

David, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your previous post. I had a gremlin somewhere in my internet 'stuff' which Scotty helped me with so I never received a lot of things that were posted. I went back and read what you had posted and yes, I had done the in/out procedure. Strange thing is the generator slide now stays in but the rear slide is creeping out. I called HWH and talked to Paul since we were on the road. He told me they had them in stock, new and rebuilt. The difference in the two are the rebuilt ones have the 1/4 nut on them while the new ones have a flip switch. We are now stable for a bit so I ordered it. I paid $215 for the solenoid. He said to use a pair of water pump pliers to remove the old one and tighten the new one after bleeding the system.

The reason for my post was to get some real life experience from someone as opposed to some 'pro' writing the instructions that come with the part. My son is an IT engineer and when he tries to help me with my internet stuff, he starts out ok but then flies way over my head. Sometimes following the instructions differs from real experience.....I appreciate all the help I can get. This forum is an excellent place to get that info...Dennis

Will do, David.  I'm sending mine back to them to see if it can be rebuilt. They'll rebuild it for about, I think $100....Dennis

On 4/27/2021 at 8:18 AM, Hypoxia said:

The access on my 2007 Signature is limited and I found it to be much easier with the solenoid tool HWH sells.  I made a tool for the first one I replaced.  Get the old one rebuilt for a spare, HWH is reasonable on rebuilds.

HWH Solenoid Tools

Jim, which tool did you use or are all three necessary to switch it out? Thanks...Dennis

Edited by Dennis H

I use this one.  I'm a small guy and can scoot into small spaces easily.  I'm also not a stranger to a wrench, however this tool makes life much easier replacing solenoids on my coach.  As Dave said, you don't always need the tool, it depends on the space available on each coach.  This solenoid is a HWH rebuild and is a spare.  Be sure to release hydraulic pressure before removal.

Solenoid Tool 1.JPG

Solenoid Tool.JPG

• 1 month later...

As a follow up, I replaced the solenoid today. Finally had some free time. It was a lot easier than I expected. I used a long needle nose plier inserted into the holes and unscrewed it without any issues. Thanks to everyone who responded, with a shoutout to David Pratt. It's true what they say, 90% of what we worry about never materializes.....I'm a happy camper once again....Dennis