Slide sweeps

Ok, on my main living room slide (drivers side) I have a small leak from time to time at the top of the slide. I can see it is coming between what looks like two pieces of aluminum. Anyway I got up there today and was a bit surprised at what I saw. On the other three slides I have a bulbseal/sweep all the way around the slide. On this main slide it is a sweep all the way around that is not a bulb and then behind that is a flat seal. The sweep across the top is the same as the sides and is basically a 2" flat sweep. Across the top the sweep is about 1/4" from even touching the top of the slide.

With all of that said, does anyone know a source or part number for the sweep seal on the main slide that would be at least 2.5" wide? Also, how does this sweep attach, is it in a channel similar to the bulb/sweep?

09 Signature

I would probably check with steelrubber if I needed it. Our living room has the same seal you are describing. Are you sure the slide hasn't dropped a quarter inch? Assuming it is a HWH hydraulic slide, the extension arms at the bottom should slide on what looks like 1/4" nylon pads, could they be missing?

5 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I would probably check with steelrubber if I needed it. Our living room has the same seal you are describing. Are you sure the slide hasn't dropped a quarter inch? Assuming it is a HWH hydraulic slide, the extension arms at the bottom should slide on what looks like 1/4" nylon pads, could they be missing?

I didn't see anything out of whack or worn or odd. That is not to say the adjustments have not moved. The slide comes in and out pretty much perfect. I am not even sure what I would check for proper adjustment, meaning what is adjusted correctly and what would be considered out of adjustment. With that said, it would take .25" for the seal to make contact and at least another .25" for it to actually be able to have a sweeping effect. So I don't think the slide is .5" dropped as I think that would be seen in the in/out movement or something somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

If you have graphics across the slide and they match the body wall, than I would say it isn't misaligned. Strange if it left the factory like that but maybe not.

graphics and lines all line up perfect across the face as well as the slide ends.

After lookin again on the ground I guess it is a bulb wiper and not just a flat wiper. It just differs from the other three slides. The other three slide the bulb is facing out where you can see it and this slide the bulb is behind the wiper where you can't see it.

If you have graphics across the slide and they match the body wall, than I would say it isn't misaligned. Strange if it left the factory like that but maybe not.

I would not use the graphics to align the slide!! I believe that our RV leaked from the factory- with the graphics aligned. When we replaced the seals we realized that the seals did not even touch. So replacing the seals would not have solved the problem. We realigned the slide in the hole. Now our graphics are off 1/2- 5/8” but we have no leaks!

Leaks and gaps are subjective. If the lower seal seems uniform and tight, then that is about all you can do. Many of us have found that there were air leaks (summer heat and winter cold) in the corners and have moved or perhaps repositioned the corner seal(s) to shut off the air. Might post a picture of what you concern is to better understand and get a response.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, Brett63 said:

Ok, on my main living room slide (drivers side) I have a small leak from time to time at the top of the slide. I can see it is coming between what looks like two pieces of aluminum. Anyway I got up there today and was a bit surprised at what I saw. On the other three slides I have a bulbseal/sweep all the way around the slide. On this main slide it is a sweep all the way around that is not a bulb and then behind that is a flat seal. The sweep across the top is the same as the sides and is basically a 2" flat sweep. Across the top the sweep is about 1/4" from even touching the top of the slide.

With all of that said, does anyone know a source or part number for the sweep seal on the main slide that would be at least 2.5" wide? Also, how does this sweep attach, is it in a channel similar to the bulb/sweep?

09 Signature

Contact steelerubber.com  Explain your issue. They will send you several small pieces of different seals to consider to resolve your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into this issue w my bedroom slide and had to order from Steele Rubber and AP products.  Steele did not have a long enough wiper blade, but AP did.  If I remember right, I used 2" from Steele for the sides and 2 and 1/2" from AP for the top.  I bonded the 2 together at the corners with a 3M rubber bonding adhesive and so far so good.  

https://www.approducts.net/

Here's a pic.  

Edited by Steven P