Towing trailer with hydralift mounted on coach

I presently have a hydralift mounted on rear of my Monaco Camelot Coach. In process of moving cross country, relocating and future of traveling with a larger assortment of toys. I plan on towing a 30’ race trailer behind the Coach. The receiver for tow bar is mounted onto Coach but will require extension to pass under the hydralift. Is that extension w ball for trailer hookup just a tubing extension or should it be solid piece of steel extension due to the force it will experience for the 33” it needs to be? I’m not absolutely positive on the distance but 33” is close to the length. I am not the only person who will be doing this! Experience and lessons learned are valuable to how I set this up. Appreciate all input!

Stay safe

I would suspect just a direct connection to your coach with the 30' trailer you will be at or over the coach max of 10K tow and 1K tongue weight for the trailer alone. There is considerable discussion on the weight that is added to a coach with a hydralift alone as well as you are putting over 1000 pounds if a motorcycle is on that, while being well out on the frame adding to the Axle load considerably.  The extension for a tongue has the same effect when a trailer is connected. that big of a trailer with a really long extension is a recipe for disaster in most cases. as it multiplies the weight and effective tongue load!  Exercise caution,  I think perhaps a different plan would be far safer !

• Like 1

I agree.  An extension is a weight mulitplier.

Plus, you might exceed maximum length for certain states. 

An alternative would be to stow the lift in the trailer, fly back and ride the bike out.  Think of it as 2 wheel therapy!

Good luck,

- bob

Guest Ray Davis
53 minutes ago, bill4029 said:

I would suspect just a direct connection to your coach with the 30' trailer you will be at or over the coach max of 10K tow and 1K tongue weight for the trailer alone. There is considerable discussion on the weight that is added to a coach with a hydralift alone as well as you are putting over 1000 pounds if a motorcycle is on that, while being well out on the frame adding to the Axle load considerably.  The extension for a tongue has the same effect when a trailer is connected. that big of a trailer with a really long extension is a recipe for disaster in most cases. as it multiplies the weight and effective tongue load!  Exercise caution,  I think perhaps a different plan would be far safer !

I agree with Bill,  you may be flirting with disaster.    I would at least take the motorcycle off of the lift and put it in the trailer.   Also,  be careful with the trailer weight  distribution,  get a scale and weigh the tongue weight fully packed.   U-haul may weigh it for you, or a moving company.

7 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

U-haul may weigh it for you, or a moving company.

Or a truck stop scale.  You'll need to disconnect so the tongue is alone on the front scale.

- bob

4 hours ago, STAN SZY said:

I presently have a hydralift mounted on rear of my Monaco Camelot Coach. In process of moving cross country, relocating and future of traveling with a larger assortment of toys. I plan on towing a 30’ race trailer behind the Coach. The receiver for tow bar is mounted onto Coach but will require extension to pass under the hydralift. Is that extension w ball for trailer hookup just a tubing extension or should it be solid piece of steel extension due to the force it will experience for the 33” it needs to be? I’m not absolutely positive on the distance but 33” is close to the length. I am not the only person who will be doing this! Experience and lessons learned are valuable to how I set this up. Appreciate all input!

Stay safe

You should research and perhaps consider a  Trailer Dolly. Consult with the MFG. not social media.

OP, what are your axle weights with the bike on?
If your hitch is the same as a 04 Dynasty or 08 Navigator (2 cross tubes forming a H, not a single cross tube forming a T) it was rated 15K/1500 on 09 Signatures if you didn’t raise the tag. I’ve grossly overloaded my hitch for 100+K miles.

OP stumbled on this site with lots of info on a 06 Camelot 42’ with weight transfer info and axle loading: Copy and past the below https://community.fmca.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id= and then add 7289 after the = for all of the article. Even has some possible replacements for the throttle if yours has a oval plug with 6 contacts in a row.

attachment.php?id=7289

The only way you would be able to do that combination safely is to use a TrailerToad such as this one in the photo which gives you an extra axle to support the additional weight.

http://www.trailertoad.com/index.html

http://www.trailertoad.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/LeftSideViewHookedUp.jpg.w300h225.jpg

You would need to have a receiver built onto the hydralift mounted at the rear of your coach.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, Chuck B said:

All that on a Camelot?  I do not think so.  Let me know your travel plans and dates.  I do not want to be on the same road with you.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

It's a tag axle coach Chuck. It can carry and tow more weight than your single rear axle Windsor 💪!

I have a Hydralift. Do you still have the factory receiver on your coach? 

If so, I would unbolt and remove the Hydralift crossbeam, unhook the hydraulic lines, and use the factory receiver for a heavy trailer.