AIR DRYER fitting/purge valve.

Hey guys straight to it 2000 monaco signature m11. Stopped for fuel and wouldn't build air. Was leaking out the air dryer fitting see picture. Looks like it is a purge or blow off valve. No one has one in stock.. can I just cap this fitting off for the rest of the ride? Stranded..

Screenshot_20210528-230048_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Romeo84
Typo

If that is a purge valve and you seal it there'd be no way to release air if it exceeds system spec.  Not sure what the weak link is in the system (air bag?) but it might not be pretty.  Maybe use the manual air dump (can it be done while moving?) but you'd have to monitor the air gauge like a hawk. 

It may be possible to find a similar valve and transfer the purge valve from it?

Good luck,

- bob

I assume you are saying that no one has just the purge valve in stock. What about replacing the entire air dryer with a new one? I would think that any major truck repair place would carry the complete air dryer in stock.

• Thanks 1

Hi there, the item you identified is an over pressure relief valve. That style of dryer has issues and when it gets obstructed- either the purge valve won't quit leaking, or it locks up causing the blow off valve to discharge the excess pressure. Replacing the air dryer assembly will take care of the issue and many others (if it recently has not been done) in the future!

It can be found at any Freightliner and is most always in stock.

Best of luck,

Nick

12 hours ago, Romeo84 said:

Hey guys straight to it 2000 monaco signature m11. Stopped for fuel and wouldn't build air. Was leaking out the air dryer fitting see picture. Looks like it is a purge or blow off valve. No one has one in stock.. can I just cap this fitting off for the rest of the ride? Stranded..

Screenshot_20210528-230048_Chrome.jpg

If it is the overpressure blow off valve (looks like it), I would think you could temporarily plug it. 

All of your air tanks have the same blow off valves, so, if your governor were to fail, they would open and release the pressure.

Guest Ray Davis
8 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

If it is the overpressure blow off valve (looks like it), I would think you could temporarily plug it. 

All of your air tanks have the same blow off valves, so, if your governor were to fail, they would open and release the pressure.

Now why didn't I think of that?  Darn

I do think he should replace the whole air dryer.  Not expensive if he does it himself.

Edited by Ray Davis

Sorry that I didn't get back to everyone in these post excellent information from everyone. I did just plug the hole using a brass fitting I had and made it to a local hardware store which none of them had a relief valve In stock. Made it the rest of the trip with the plug in place..  Keeping an eye on the pressure gauge to making sure I never had an overpressurization.. 

Brings me to the next issue . a new filter kit And a new purge valve repair kit will run about 170 to $180... From what I can see you can buy a whole brand new air dryer for $250. Would I be Mistaken by just Purchasing the whole new unit??

Thoughts?