Road Guidance / Info

I will be heading from Tampa to Tucson for the FMCA rally. I was wondering if anyone has recently been on I-20.

I have two choices 1.)   I-10 out of Houston  2.)  I-20 out of Dallas. Both will take me to El Paso.

I am not looking for shortcuts as I will not stray off the freeways. I am towing our 26ft show trailer and between that and

our 40 ft coach It is too much of a headache driving backroads or highways.

In regards to traffic, would Dallas be the bet bet or Houston ? There is only a 14 mile difference between the two.

How is the condition of I-20 across Mississippi and Louisiana ? Anyone here recently been on these freeways ?

Thanks everyone.

I would take the 10 over to 49 west of Baton Rouge up to Shreveport and then 20 West we went that way last summer coming back from Utah good road having run that wayover the years I prefer on that route

Edited by Highwayman

Which ever way you go take some mental notes.  When we leave the Balloon Fiesta in October we plan on heading to Flagstaff on I-40 then I-17 down to Phoenix then picking up I-10 to Tucson and all the way to El Paso.  Planning on dropping down to Big Bend NP and then picking up I-10 again just before San Antonio and following it all the way back to Florida.  Will be interesting in finding out if I'm making a mistake following that route.

Chris, I can't say anything about the I10 route, but the I20 route from Dallas south west is one I will never take again. Road is ok but don't plan on overnighting anywhere near Abilene to Odessa. The area is very heavy populated with oil field workers. I stayed in Midland and the best rv park there was full of transient workers. Someone stole the license plate off the rear of my Camelot that night. It was a Nevada Armservices plate (Air Force).  That makes it a place to avoid for me!

10 hours ago, throgmartin said:

I will be heading from Tampa to Tucson for the FMCA rally. I was wondering if anyone has recently been on I-20.

I have two choices 1.)   I-10 out of Houston  2.)  I-20 out of Dallas. Both will take me to El Paso.

I am not looking for shortcuts as I will not stray off the freeways. I am towing our 26ft show trailer and between that and

our 40 ft coach It is too much of a headache driving backroads or highways.

In regards to traffic, would Dallas be the bet bet or Houston ? There is only a 14 mile difference between the two.

How is the condition of I-20 across Mississippi and Louisiana ? Anyone here recently been on these freeways ?

Thanks everyone.

Chris I would take 10 and 12 until west of Baton Rouge and go up 49 to Shreveport and get on 20.  I20 is pretty good all across Texas with just a few areas of road construction.  I travel 20 from Dallas to Big Springs 3-4 times a year.  !0 is good from west of Pecos to Tucson.  Went out there in January and don't remember any construction.  Lots of new pavement.

8 hours ago, frankogrly said:

Mike ,unless you have a reason to go to Flagstaff, Phoenix or Tucson I would take I25 from Albuquerque to I10.

Frank O

01 Endeavor

Hi Frank,  I was going to Flagstaff so the wife can see the Grand Canyon then I was going to take her down to see the Saguaro National Park outside of Tucson.  That'll put us pretty far south and onto I-10.

Chris,

Having returned to Baton Rouge, LA from San Antonio, TX today, you can expect construction on I-10 in Sulfur, LA, the LA/TX state line to west Beaumont, TX, Brookshire, TX area.

Nothing to really slow you down. We passed through Houston without problems, normal heavy traffic.

Safe travels,

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Thanks everyone. Your comments were very helpful.

I haven't been across I-10 since 2005. I do remember it is a long boring ride to El Paso.

Are there fuel stops past Abilene ? It has been so long I cannot remember. I believe I filled up in Ft. Worth the last time.

Thanks again everyone.

36 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

Thanks everyone. Your comments were very helpful.

I haven't been across I-10 since 2005. I do remember it is a long boring ride to El Paso.

Are there fuel stops past Abilene ? It has been so long I cannot remember. I believe I filled up in Ft. Worth the last time.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris,  You should be good between Abilene and Odessa, TX but it does get a little sparse further out.  The attachments below are from my RV Trip Wizard.  All of the icons are fuel locations (Pilot, Flying J, Loves, T/A).  If you need any further detail let me know and I can send it to you directly plus I have some apps on my phone (yeah, I know ... gotta have one of those new fangled 'smart phones LOL ) I can tell you about, or load them on a tablet.  Hope this helps.

Annotation 2020-03-11 075259.png

Annotation 2020-03-11 075514.png

Annotation 2020-03-11 075743.png

715809482_Annotation2020-03-11075905.thumb.png.fe9c2942f85eec207838685301f96fd0.pngAnnotation 2020-03-11 075833.png

Edited by Mike H

Hi Chris

We've been traveling on I20 the last couple days, currently in Midland.  Some places with road construction, but nothing like Orlando!!   Came through DFW about noon time with no backups or slow downs.

Two places of note: 1) around Jackson Ms there is a long stretch where 1 lane is on the paved shoulder and 1 lane is concrete,  rather annoying to drive on. 2) the bridge over the Mississippi at Vicksburg is also down to 1 lane and seems narrow,  I slowed to about 30 and it was no problem.

See you in Tucson.

John

Thanks John. That was very helpful.

Thanks to everyone else as well. Look's like I have some Love's along the way to fuel up at. Thanks for that snap shot Mike.

Hate doing these trips alone, especially pulling this show trailer. Had a tire go down on me 2 weeks ago coming back from a rally. Not fun.

Ingrid is flying out and back so will help me at the rally. She refuses to allow me to get a young girlfriend to travel with me. ( No idea why ? ). 🙂 

See ya'll in Tucson if the Lord's willing and the creek don't rise. and Ingrid doesn't strangle me first.

Chris

32 minutes ago, throgmartin said:

Thanks John. That was very helpful.

Thanks to everyone else as well. Look's like I have some Love's along the way to fuel up at. Thanks for that snap shot Mike.

Hate doing these trips alone, especially pulling this show trailer. Had a tire go down on me 2 weeks ago coming back from a rally. Not fun.

Ingrid is flying out and back so will help me at the rally. She refuses to allow me to get a young girlfriend to travel with me. ( No idea why ? ). 🙂 

See ya'll in Tucson if the Lord's willing and the creek don't rise. and Ingrid doesn't strangle me first.

Chris

Have a safe trip Chris.  Three things always come to mind when I think about Tucson.  One is the ride on I-10 through some of those rocky, boulder laden, mountain passes out there and wondering who the hell ever come up with the idea of building a road through there, then seeing something white out in the desert that looked like snow only to find out it was the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Aircraft Boneyard (Amazing place to see) and also the Saguaro National Park.  There's supposed to be a nice Aircraft Museum out there as well.image.thumb.png.8efedbf8fc415408a84b884992e96b1d.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...