Rain leak in slide...

Last trip out we were hit by a few deluges of rain...   My road side slide start dripping water from one of the light fixture in slide ceiling...  ugh!   I have been diligent about caulking roof, beltline, etc..  Have never caulked anything on top of slide...  New slide toppers 2 years ago...   The rain was accompanied by wind which I am assuming blew  water between topper and top of slide...  What to a caulk/seal to stop this?   Previously I have scrapped old out stuff and resealed...  Here there is no existing caulking....  The top of slide looks to be  fiberglass(?), or plastic covering,  no visible cracks, dents, tears...   thinking maybe caulking the top to side angle bracket, has rivets,  no existing caulk there now, of maybe EPDM roof tape?   Anyone had this issue, and/or suggestions,  thanks... 

Jim D 
2005 Monaco Knight PST

53 minutes ago, jad050 said:

Last trip out we were hit by a few deluges of rain...   My road side slide start dripping water from one of the light fixture in slide ceiling...  ugh!   I have been diligent about caulking roof, beltline, etc..  Have never caulked anything on top of slide...  New slide toppers 2 years ago...   The rain was accompanied by wind which I am assuming blew  water between topper and top of slide...  What to a caulk/seal to stop this?   Previously I have scrapped old out stuff and resealed...  Here there is no existing caulking....  The top of slide looks to be  fiberglass(?), or plastic covering,  no visible cracks, dents, tears...   thinking maybe caulking the top to side angle bracket, has rivets,  no existing caulk there now, of maybe EPDM roof tape?   Anyone had this issue, and/or suggestions,  thanks... 

Jim D 
2005 Monaco Knight PST

The slide Guru Cris Throgmartin  at Talin should be able to diagnose this.  It’s over my head but sounds like you are on the right track.  The edges of the slide behind the slide seal must be leaking.  Pro flex would be my choice.

JDCrow, interesting video....  16 years is texas sun/heat tends to destroy plastic, sealants, etc....  Was hoping to avoid chasing down replacement gaskets, and if it is the inside of slide leaking, guessing slide seal is also end of life...  

Thanks

JD 

Had a similar problem with my 2010 Neptune...lots of water at the light fixtures.  After several diagnostic trips, they discovered that the plastic "angle iron" looking barrier that is close to the wiper seal and runs the full length of the slide had deteriorated permitting water entry.  Replaced the plastic piece with aluminum and have been dry since.  Was a frustrating experience!

Adam

Back when our coach was still under warranty,  we had rain water coming in a light fixture in the ceiling of our living room slide.  While at the factory repair facility for many other problems, the diagnoses for that problem was that the slide roof had been installed up side down.  The roof had been incorrectly installed concave, when the correct install is convex so that rain water runs off to the outside portion of the slide.  Instead the incorrect install had any water getting under the slide topper and pooling on top of the slide.  They had to put us up in a motel for three days to remove the slide, rebuild it correctly and reinstall.  No problems after that.

Probably not the cause of your problem but that is what happened to us.  Hope you get it fixed.

Dick

2015 HR Ambassador 38DB

My bedroom slide was leaking and I thought it was from the wiper, however looking closely on the slide roof, there was a low spot w a tiny hole in it.  I'm thinking that hole formed due to the water standing there over time.  Eternabond tape and dicor and no more leaks.  Replaced all the wipers then too. 

SteveP,   That's what I am thinking, eternabond tape at edge...   My leak appears to be on the inside lip of slide,  thinking of proactively doing outside lip and all slides to prevent future issues...   Slide wipers will be a winter project, to hot in texas right now.....   

Thanks,   

Jim 

I have a 2005 Dip and had the same thing happen to me while in Florida about 7 years ago.  The mobile RV guy I called came by and with the slide in, caulked the slideout roof just behind the wood trim, he did not remove anything.  Not an easy job and I was a little skeptical.  But in the past 7 years I have been in a lot of downpours with no leaks.  Cost me about $150.

@jad050

Here is a link from my post last year.  It may help some. Hey all.  I am in need of replacing my bedroom slide seals and will be replacing the slide topper at the same time.  I have the topper from Talin RV and need to purchase the slide seals.  My wiper seems to not touch the top of the slide currently. I will be ordering guardian plates to install too.  I know Steele Rubber is a good source for the seals.  My questions: how daunting of a task is this?  Is there anything special I need to measure or pay attention to?  Are the wiper widths a one size fits all or are they in different lengths?  Is there a good step by step source, video for this?  Thank you, Steven 

https://www.monacoers.org/topic/239-slide-seal-replacement-help/?do=findComment&comment=1578

2 minutes ago, Steven P said:

@jad050

Here is a link from my post last year.  It may help some. Hey all.  I am in need of replacing my bedroom slide seals and will be replacing the slide topper at the same time.  I have the topper from Talin RV and need to purchase the slide seals.   

Did you get your toppers made as wide as will possibly fit on the tube?

I was parked next to an Allegro Bus last year. Tiffin was smart. They installed toppers that overhang both ends of the slide by about 8".

I called Talin RV and Ingrid helped me get the measurements correctly. Since they make the toppers, I wanted to do them their way. @throgmartin