Slobber Tube or Not?

2002 8.3 ISC  This is a vent of some type. I haven’t traced it back to where it comes from. I spent the morning cleaning the under side of the motor and oil pan and anything else I could reach. Also found a ill fitting filler cap on top of the valve cover seeping oil. I saw somewhere here in recent months where someone strapped a water bottle to it. 

3B7D2ABE-8FD2-4E7B-8A93-43F96960D803.jpeg

Crankcase Vent tube. Some call it blow by tube. Modern diesels vent back into the intake much like a PCV valve on a gas engine 

I’m installing a catch can on mine (Same year engine as you). This will keep it from slobbering down and puking on everything. Look at the bottom of your fan shroud and radiator on the inside. You might find it pretty gummed up.

Here is the can I’ll be running. It has a sight glass and a drain. 

3A722779-C00D-4B1B-B106-B7BE45EFE200.jpeg

I made a simple catch.  I took a bottle that fit over the tube, slide it up ~4-5" and then drilled a hole through the neck and tube and put a pin through it.  I then took it off and shove some steel wool down the bottom and drilled a couple extra vent holes around the top.  It catches most of the oil.  Cost was whatever the pin cost.  😀

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I made a simple catch.  I took a bottle that fit over the tube, slide it up ~4-5" and then drilled a hole through the neck and tube and put a pin through it.  I then took it off and shove some steel wool down the bottom and drilled a couple extra vent holes around the top.  It catches most of the oil.  Cost was whatever the pin cost.  😀

Did I see that on another post? I was thinking something similar but without the steel wool. You have a picture of it?

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Crankcase Vent tube. Some call it blow by tube. Modern diesels vent back into the intake much like a PCV valve on a gas engine 

I’m installing a catch can on mine (Same year engine as you). This will keep it from slobbering down and puking on everything. Look at the bottom of your fan shroud and radiator on the inside. You might find it pretty gummed up.

Here is the can I’ll be running. It has a sight glass and a drain. 

3A722779-C00D-4B1B-B106-B7BE45EFE200.jpeg

That’s quite a expensive looking solution? 

31 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Did I see that on another post? I was thinking something similar but without the steel wool. You have a picture of it?

Do you have pictures you can share?

I just used a Powerade bottle. Punched a hole in it and a hole in the slobber tube and ran a healthy zip tie through both. I also have about half of the bottle filled with steel wool to keep anything from splashing and also vented the top. It works like a champ.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:26 PM, Timaz996 said:

I just used a Powerade bottle. Punched a hole in it and a hole in the slobber tube and ran a healthy zip tie through both. I also have about half of the bottle filled with steel wool to keep anything from splashing and also vented the top. It works like a champ.

After cleaning everything really well I want to try and keep it that way. I’ll keep an eye on it to see how quickly it fills up, I would think extremely slow. Valve cover cap was leaking too.

46777954-4926-4812-BF72-C9CD15CB1A70.jpeg

FAD1D390-1B0C-471B-9F4D-364C3940A119.jpeg

My tube is about a foot longer then yours. Make sure you have a hole at least 1" diameter near the top to allow air out. (vent) If you don't have a vent it will build pressure. When I change my oil I put in 5 gallons. This in just above the add mark and my engine doesn't use any oil or blow it out the tube. I only get condensation in the bottle. If I put the oil level close to the full mark my engine will slowly use it out the tube.

Tim  

Edited by Timaz996

19 hours ago, tmw188 said:

After cleaning everything really well I want to try and keep it that way. I’ll keep an eye on it to see how quickly it fills up, I would think extremely slow. Valve cover cap was leaking too.

46777954-4926-4812-BF72-C9CD15CB1A70.jpeg

FAD1D390-1B0C-471B-9F4D-364C3940A119.jpeg

Awesome thank you for sharing.

17 hours ago, Timaz996 said:

My tube is about a foot longer then yours. Make sure you have a hole at least 1" diameter near the top to allow air out. (vent) If you don't have a vent it will build pressure. When I change my oil I put in 5 gallons. This in just above the add mark and my engine doesn't use any oil or blow it out the tube. I only get condensation in the bottle. If I put the oil level close to the full mark my engine will slowly use it out the tube.

Tim  

Nice I'll give this a go on my next oil change.