Battery monitoring shunt install location with Xantrex inverter

Ivan K

A representative from Victron got back with and we've emailed back and forth about my problems.   I explained that  I finally got my Iphone to connect to the BMV712 but still couldn't get my laptop or tablet to connect!!

He implied that I could only use one device to connect and I would have to reset & unplug  it to clear the bluetooth settings so another device could connect.  Needless to say I'm not going to do that!!!!!

But my question is are you able to get more then one device to communicate with the BMV712. 

I just use my phone. Frankly the system works so well I don’t even check it that much anymore. The solar and the lithium batteries are game changers. I also have a auto generator start but it’s never come on while boondocking.

Mark

I doubt the monitor's BT service would be different between the their products. I can see list of my Victron devices on both the phone and tablet at the same time but can connect only one at a time. Simply close the connection inside the app by the back arrow to get back to device list and connect the other.

16 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I doubt the monitor's BT service would be different between the their products. I can see list of my Victron devices on both the phone and tablet at the same time but can connect only one at a time. Simply close the connection inside the app by the back arrow to get back to device list and connect the other.

That seems logical.

But I can't get the VictornConnect to work on either my laptop or tablet.  I can find and pair both devices using the bluetooth on the laptop and tablet but I can't get the Victron App to work.  I will continue to try but for now I'll be satisfied to with the phone.  It is much better then the display. 

Thanks goth Gary & Ivan. 

• Like 1

I have never had a problem connecting the BT app to any of the three Victron items I have. I can use either the iphone or ipad. I haven't tried to connect both at the same time. I have my BMV712 zip tied in my battery compartment and just use the BT to check SOC. Glad you got it working Jim.

1 hour ago, Tim-AZ said:

I have never had a problem connecting the BT app to any of the three Victron items I have. I can use either the iphone or ipad. I haven't tried to connect both at the same time. I have my BMV712 zip tied in my battery compartment and just use the BT to check SOC. Glad you got it working Jim.

Thanks Tim,

Not sure whats going with both the Windows devices but still no luck using my Laptop or Tablet.

But my phone is working fine.

I'm trying to determine the best settings, I have the Xantrex 2012 inverter and

Battery Capacity, I've set it at 460 Amp

Charging Voltage>>the float charge is 13.4 but bulk is 14.6, I assume I use the 13.4

Discharge floor I set at 50%

Tail current I left at the 4%

Charge efficiency factor I left at 97%

Do I leave the Synchronizing off or on

I searched the Victron Community question answer page but I don't like that type of format as you don't know what is posted is good or bad. 

Edited by jacwjames

So I decided to do an 8 hour test of the batteries &  monitor today.  Coach is parked in the garage so no benefit from solar.  I had the refrigerator running with the icemaker on.  After 8 hours I had 82% battery capacity left, used 97 amps consumed so ~12 amps per hour.   Not bad. 

My inverter display showed 76% battery capacity left so it was also close. 

I can see where this will be handy when boon docking.  Not having good info caused me sleepless nights, I've actually gotten up in the middle of the night just to check.  Still an unknown is the impact of having the System Heat on.  Last year I had it on when I was traveling out west in Nov, I know it ran but don't know what the actual amp draw is since I installed the tank pads.  Theoretically it should be 450 watt but how much does it run.  I think with the Victron to monitor it will provide some in site PLUS I can lay under my covers to look at the status of the batteries and not guess what the it is.  If needed I can start the generator.   

Yesterday I tried one last time to get my laptop to connect, still no joy on that.  This AM after I started my test I opened the Victron APP but it would not completely load the info.   Tried several times.  Finally shut the phone completely down and restarted the phone and the App worked, no idea what happen there.